FedEx Freight | Now Hiring - Class B Drivers - In a Big way

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Jobs aplenty for qualified Class B drivers, here at FedEx Freight.

fxfe---hiring---class-B---7.8.21.md.jpg

A significant number. This will be welcome news to many. Those that would rather NOT do residential, or lift-gate work.

All of this is EXACTLY as we told you. Exactly 4 years ago...
Industry "insiders" here at truckingboards.com shared the news of straight trucks (directly from Fred Smith), back on July 1, 2017.

Fun look back:

It's kind of fun to look back at what we predicted. Notice who said we were absolutely wrong... What ever happened to some of those guys?

Anyway, this is going to be a thing going forward. Good opportunity for a lot of people. But there are still the very same concerns today, that we talked about then...

:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:
You might as well dispose of the Class B entirely.

By the time you bend backwards low enough to squeeze under the very low bar of CDL A licensing, you might as well go in for a whole penny to a pound or nothing at all.

Just one License, drive anything except Motorcycles.

Except one little problem I remember specifically from the Northern States in the East.

I went to a employer called TBH in Westminster Maryland to talk over a job opening. It was raining that day. 20 Mack daycabs with low boys parked on two sides of that back office in what passes for their downtown offices.

The VP had the balls to tell me that I am over qualified with my Class A. So I should go away and leave them alone, take my application with me.

I stood there and pointed to the parked 18 wheelers around two sets of windows on two walls of their nice boardroom in the back where the interview was held. And said BS.

That was when I decided to emigrate to the South or West as far as necessary until I find employers willing to take my overqualified jewelry encrusted godforsaken A CDL out the wazoo and run a cement mixer when the situation calls for it to be going to a job site somewhere here in Arkansas.

I'll be kicking the big rigs occasionally as well. Not a problem here in the South. But the blessed Yankees and their distinction between overqualified CDL A and B etc are only hurting themselves.

Every time I hear about companies welcoming the class B's and exclude the class A's I feel that it stinks of BS. Same as always. The ass in that Airride chair holding the steering wheel is still the same.

Knew this was coming.
Not sure if it's good or bad for class A at FxF. They could move a WHOLE lot of freight that's not Hazmat for a lot cheaper than a class A guy doing it.

At any rate, their pay of $22hr ain't gonna cut it.
I see a lot of moves being made at Fx. None of which start with competitive pay.
In which case, it's a non-starter.
Fx already has plenty of truck seats they can't fill. Not sure what logic they're using expecting to implement all these new trucks, but without the pay to back it up.

FxF already needs thousands of workers that they're not willing to attract with competitive wages, so I'm not sure how initiating even more positions will help.

Perhaps a 68 cent an hour raise!
Just like 1993!

Mention wages, and upper management will quickly say the compensation package is good.
Ok, if it is, then why can't they attract tallent?

Last edited:

By the time you bend backwards low enough to squeeze under the very low bar of CDL A licensing, you might as well go in for a whole penny to a pound or nothing at all.

Except one little problem I remember specifically from the Northern States in the East.

I went to a employer called TBH in Westminster Maryland to talk over a job opening. It was raining that day. 20 Mack daycabs with low boys parked on two sides of that back office in what passes for their downtown offices.

The VP had the balls to tell me that I am over qualified with my Class A. So I should go away and leave them alone, take my application with me.

I stood there and pointed to the parked 18 wheelers around two sets of windows on two walls of their nice boardroom in the back where the interview was held. And said BS.

That was when I decided to emigrate to the South or West as far as necessary until I find employers willing to take my overqualified jewelry encrusted godforsaken A CDL out the wazoo and run a cement mixer when the situation calls for it to be going to a job site somewhere here in Arkansas.

I'll be kicking the big rigs occasionally as well. Not a problem here in the South. But the blessed Yankees and their distinction between overqualified CDL A and B etc are only hurting themselves.

Every time I hear about companies welcoming the class B's and exclude the class A's I feel that it stinks of BS. Same as always. The ass in that Airride chair holding the steering wheel is still the same.

I'm 99.999% sure you were X1Heavy on TTR. Am I right? If so, can you re-tell the story about drinking a couple gallons of sweet tea at the truck stop counter when your A/C went out?

By the way, they thought you were dead over there. Glad your still doing ok.

Knew this was coming.
Not sure if it's good or bad for class A at FxF. They could move a WHOLE lot of freight that's not Hazmat for a lot cheaper than a class A guy doing it.

I see a lot of moves being made at Fx. None of which start with competitive pay.
Fx already has plenty of truck seats they can't fill. Not sure what logic they're using expecting to implement all these new trucks, but without the pay to back it up.

FxF already needs thousands of workers that they're not willing to attract with competitive wages, so I'm not sure how initiating even more positions will help.

Just like 1993!

Mention wages, and upper management will quickly say the compensation package is good.
They told us the class B drivers would still have to have hazmat endordements at our place

Don’t get it. Still have to go thru all the BS getting your B besides having a trailer. Mine as well just get your A while your at it. Then FX is gonna run into situations where they don’t have any A drivers just 10 B drivers that can’t pull a set. Same person cooking up this idea thought C trailers and the drive thru dimensioners where a good idea.

Knew this was coming.

Just like 1993!

Is it really only $22 per hour? Full time dock at my center makes almost $27 per hour. And I agree getting a class A CDL makes much more sense.

Offering class B out of desperation is basically them being too proud to ask "how did we get in this position?" My center has a dozen rental straight trucks driven by a third party company to do home deliveries. Business isn't booming. They just can't hire and/or find an economical way to scale things up on an in house basis. Kind of embarrassing.

Local news station did a story on a McDonald's offering 20 dollars an hour to start. Fedex reminds me of listening to my older relatives pine about the good ole days when they got paid at the end of the day and could buy all the fixins for a big dinner for 75 cents and still had enough left over for streetcar fare the next day.

Wondering how seniority will work? Talking about the new hires.. for instance. They hire 3 class A and 3 class B .. let’s say A, B A B in that order.. would it be right for a class B to have seniority over a class A?? Or would they keep the seniority separate ?
bidding for us is solely based on trucks, start times and vacations . The residential trucks start times are separate from city routes . This will be interesting.. we don’t use company seniority just job class seniority . I may have answered my own question

Wondering how seniority will work? Talking about the new hires.. for instance. They hire 3 class A and 3 class B .. let’s say A, B A B in that order.. would it be right for a class B to have seniority over a class A?? Or would they keep the seniority separate ?
bidding for us is solely based on trucks, start times and vacations . The residential trucks start times are separate from city routes . This will be interesting.. we don’t use company seniority just job class seniority . I may have answered my own question
I'm sure it will be job class seniority.

Last mile deliveries pay pretty well because most people now, are too lazy to buy something, haul it home in their $70,000 pickup, and assemble it. They are willing to pay delivery and set up charges. Fedex will be asking a lot out of employees for this type of work for $22 an hour.

On the reqs, HME is required.

We were told that class B would do dels, whatever pups they can, then help out on outbound.

I was at a interview in winter and asked about air conditioners , they laughed me out of the office saying it's 10 degrees out and this bozo is worried about an air conditioner

Last mile deliveries pay pretty well because most people now, are too lazy to buy something, haul it home in their $70,000 pickup, and assemble it. They are willing to pay delivery and set up charges. Fedex will be asking a lot out of employees for this type of work for $22 an hour.
Oh, it's going to pay Fx VERY WELL.

Is it really only $22 per hour? Full time dock at my center makes almost $27 per hour. And I agree getting a class A CDL makes much more sense.

Offering class B out of desperation is basically them being too proud to ask "how did we get in this position?" My center has a dozen rental straight trucks driven by a third party company to do home deliveries. Business isn't booming. They just can't hire and/or find an economical way to scale things up on an in house basis. Kind of embarrassing.
Dayton in Nashville I think was hiring class B for $24. Insane how family owed companies can pay better than the greatest, biggest, most amazing company in America...