FedEx Freight | Now Hiring - Class B Drivers - In a Big way

Nothing to see. It's already being done except the lift gate part. You get them to the back and they forklift them off
... trying to get a 3,000 lb tote to the rear of his box truck to deliver, and post it... Would make for a laugh or 2.

Obviously rolling them to the back, to deliver - or to the front at pickup, is NOT an issue.

My problem is liftgate delivery, or heaven forbid, liftgate pickup. :nono h4h:

Big R, the video of the class B driver loading the tote(s) with a liftgate should be priceless. :popcorn:

Honestly,
How many times have you actually liftgate delivered a tote, much less picked them up?
Rhetorical questions...

Overriding principal here is the fact that the hazmat / tank (X) requirement is self defeating, IMHO.
Home/office delivery should not need either. Small amounts of HM don't require the endorsement. Only if placards are required.

Tank endorsement is not a problem, as it's among the easiest to get. We can't say the same about HazMat.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the H or X endorsement requirement will go away for these Class B drivers. Only time will tell.

Rhetorical questions...

Overriding principal here is the fact that the hazmat / tank (X) requirement is self defeating, IMHO.
Home/office delivery should not need either. Small amounts of HM don't require the endorsement. Only if placards are required.

Tank endorsement is not a problem, as it's among the easiest to get. We can't say the same about HazMat.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the H or X endorsement requirement will go away for these Class B drivers. Only time will tell.
Myself,
I think the endorsement will stand, and tye box trucks will be trown in the rotation with a mix of Last Mile / Direct shipments as well as normal Freight.
Basically, LM/D on a box truck, then whatever Freight freight they need to move on them as well.
They will be treated as a normal route as far as pickups are concerned.
I don't think there will be much distinction.

And if you think class B drivers will think this is an issue, it isn't. I see flooring companies unloading 3500lb ceramic pallets off the tailgate and they seem to have no problem.
With 1 driver? If so, he has more balz, than brains. In reality though, I would hope FedEx would not put skids weighing more than 1,500 lbs on a box truck. Otherwise their risk of damaged freight, and injuries will go up.

With 1 driver? If so, he has more balz, than brains. In reality though, I would hope FedEx would not put skids weighing more than 1,500 lbs on a box truck. Otherwise their risk of damaged freight, and injuries will go up.
Yep. Did flooring delivery for years. 1 guy. Liftgate held 4500 lbs so nobody thought it took balls to do your job.

Yes, with one driver. You new here?
What does the box truck have to do with with the weight of the skid?
Whatever can be delivered off a 53ft liftgate can just as eaisly be done with a box truck LG.
Also, 1,500lbs ain't $hit for a LG delivery.

Whatever can be delivered off a 53ft liftgate can just as eaisly be done with a box truck LG.
Didn’t you deliver totes with your drones?

Not questioning the lift gate. Questioning the drivers lack of common sense....

I think in an ideal FXF world they'd be able to take away some class A work with class Bs but I don't think it's realistic to think it's actually going to become reality. Like you mentioned, why would any prospective driver go for class B at a significantly reduced pay rate? They will never be able to recruit and keep enough class Bs to threaten the class As. Compare even a pup route. Similar amount of freight to a class B but driver can knock it out and then come back to the center and grab another loaded pup, no load/unload time. Not to mention these class Bs are a pain to unload/load with a pallet jack.

I'm envisioning lots of sitting box trucks or class A drivers getting forced into class B routes. If class B trucks were meant for LTL, all the major players would be using way more of them. FedEx probably thinks they're going to reinvent the wheel with huge success. Then there's reality....
I wonder if a class A got forced on a class B route would he/she have to clock to something different on Kronos, and get lower rate of pay?