FedEx Freight | Now Hiring - Class B Drivers - In a Big way

So what happens if they have 6 class B drivers, but today they only have 5 box trucks going out? The last guy will have to stay home for the day or they will make him work on the dock?

So what happens if they have 6 class B drivers, but today they only have 5 box trucks going out? The last guy will have to stay home for the day or they will make him work on the dock?
If a box truck is down they'll call them off, or offer dock work. And throw that route on a LG. If they don't have enough resi frt, they'll fill 'em up with biz dels.

Look, you can’t have it both ways.

“I’m not doing ‘residential’ deliveries! I’ll quit! I’m a Class A driver, not a delivery and setup service driver! I didn’t sign up for that! I won’t do it! I’m not going into peoples houses and setting stuff up! I’m not bringing a gun safe up a flight of stairs! I’ve been here (insert supposedly impressive number here) years! I’ve got seniority!! I’ll quit!!”….

and then the same person a day later…

“Hey! Why is that Class B residential driver working and I’m told to stay home because there’s not enough freight! I’ll call HR! That’s not right! I’ve been here (insert supposedly impressive number here) years! I’ve got seniority!! I’ll quit!!”

I fall into the first category will gladly take a day off before doing residential deliveries. I think some of you are hung up on the type of truck and the license class. I don’t think you have a real grasp of the actual job these guys are going to be doing. It’s not easy. Go drive around some of your neighborhoods and look at the driveways. Look how busted up and raggedy some of them are, or just made of gravel. Look how high the lip of the driveway entrance is raised. Look at the steepness of the hill it’s on. Now think about having 2 full skids of flooring that weighs 2500 lbs each and needs to be delivered to that house. I assure you, you won’t be much happier when you call dispatch and tell them your pallet jack won’t move it and they tell you that you’re going to have to break it down and carry it in. This is only your 2nd stop and you have 6 more to go. Trust me, this isn’t some conjured up scenario. They don’t pay me enough now to deal with that. $22-$26 an hour certainly isn’t enough.

Oh yeah, who do you think is going to fill in when the lowly class B driver is off and there isn’t another one available to do the route? That’s right, this is another position that a Class A City Driver with all kinds of seniority can cover. Of course the Class B driver can’t cover a city route when you’ll need a day off but can’t get it, they won’t be qualified.

Last edited:
Don’t get it. Still have to go thru all the BS getting your B besides having a trailer. Mine as well just get your A while your at it. Then FX is gonna run into situations where they don’t have any A drivers just 10 B drivers that can’t pull a set. Same person cooking up this idea thought C trailers and the drive thru dimensioners where a good idea.
There is a need for B trucks, certain areas just can’t fit trailers especially in the Northeast. We have CDL B drivers near Boston, NYC and Philly. There is some much B work for streets that are supper tight. In the 5 Boro’s there are streets that have a max length of 31 ft front bumper to rear of lift gate. There are also tons of old buildings that have door Hight’s of 12’, no trailer going in there. Say we have 10 straight trucks, they have 7 B drivers, if they need all 10 that day they use A drivers in the S/T . In areas we run only 1 or 2 S/T we use A drivers in them.

Look, you can’t have it both ways.

“I’m not doing ‘residential’ deliveries! I’ll quit! I’m a Class A driver, not a delivery and setup service driver! I didn’t sign up for that! I won’t do it! I’m not going into peoples houses and setting stuff up! I’m not bringing a gun safe up a flight of stairs! I’ve been here (insert supposedly impressive number here) years! I’ve got seniority!! I’ll quit!!”….

and then the same person a day later…

“Hey! Why is that Class B residential driver working and I’m told to stay home because there’s not enough freight! I’ll call HR! That’s not right! I’ve been here (insert supposedly impressive number here) years! I’ve got seniority!! I’ll quit!!”

I fall into the first category will gladly take a day off before doing residential deliveries. I think some of you are hung up on the type of truck and the license class. I don’t think you have a real grasp of the actual job these guys are going to be doing. It’s not easy. Go drive around some of your neighborhoods and look at the driveways. Look how busted up and raggedy some of them are, or just made of gravel. Look how high the lip of the driveway entrance is raised. Look at the steepness of the hill it’s on. Now think about having 2 full skids of flooring that weighs 2500 lbs each and needs to be delivered to that house. I assure you, you won’t be much happier when you call dispatch and tell them your pallet jack won’t move it and they tell you that you’re going to have to break it down and carry it in. This is only your 2nd stop and you have 6 more to go. Trust me, this isn’t some conjured up scenario. They don’t pay me enough now to deal with that. $22-$26 an hour certainly isn’t enough.

Oh yeah, who do you think is going to fill in when the lowly class B driver is off and there isn’t another one available to do the route? That’s right, this is another position that a Class A City Driver with all kinds of seniority can cover. Of course the Class B driver can’t cover a city route when you’ll need a day off but can’t get it, they won’t be qualified.
Delivered flooring for a long time before coming here. It's not fun. The thing is there are a lot of class B drivers who will jump at making $26/hr. Our freight is still easier to deliver than a lot of those guys deal with all day. Local movers will take those jobs in a minute. We have enough city freight that I think everyone will be fine.

I have actually taken my overhulking class A semi and trailer and DELIVERED into individual homes.

One situation sticks in my mind. I am at a cul de sac at 2 am, ground is shaking setting off car alarms under my wheels. Waking up those not yet up. 40 teens waiting to spot and then be lumpers.

Im trying to blindside back towards a car port. (Right side) and its in the dark. The angles simply don't work out. So they bring pickups to the back of my truck, unload to that by a few dozen lumpers and all out in a few minutes.

Much of the situation is managing the people. Some 8 year old darted under my landing gear and forced me to stop short backing up. I came out of there and bawled out everyone to stay AWAY from that 40 ton of crush. With profanity and everything. They cleared out and stood back.

One thing. The entire neighborhood on that street was participating so storing 30 pallets and 26 tons of product on all of them homes was not too difficult. (Fundraiser...)

Not doing that again. I don't need to worry about stuff like that now where I am in life pending surgery but frankly anyone willing to heft a piano to the third floor or whatever can go ahead and have at it. Its a young mans game. The difference between 50 years ago and today, the company needs to pay handsomely for that person.

I wonder if they'll have class B apprentices? Frankly if somebody wants to just run a straight truck and are willing to deal with bs residentials, it'd be like a 2 week class I bet.

If there's not enough liftgate freight have em take ugly stuff that'd ruin a regular route or stuff like food warehouses that nobody wants to do. Class B drivers should be our friends because they get stuck with the crap we don't wanna do and in many cases aren't able to do easily/safely in a bigger rig.

SouthEastern has been doing this for several years. They have box trucks smaller than ours that make delivery’s and I guess pickups. There guys still have plenty of freight to run with. I don’t see it being much different for us.

True , but ones that can't take the weight of a forklift are useless .
Ha see what I did there ? No honestly I'd never buy one that could
not take the weight .

The official statement on the topic:

New opportunity for Class B drivers

A new driver program will give interested team members a chance to explore new career pathways with a Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL). Class B drivers will be eligible to drive commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more that isn’t hitched to a trailer—such as a straight truck or box truck. Drivers will perform mostly residential deliveries/ pickups stemming from our growing FedEx Freight Direct service and at times perform business deliveries/pickups.

Not only does this program give team members the unique opportunity to grow their careers, but it will also help us close the gap on current driver shortages impacting the industry.

Any questions?

The official statement on the topic:

New opportunity for Class B drivers

A new driver program will give interested team members a chance to explore new career pathways with a Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL). Class B drivers will be eligible to drive commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more that isn’t hitched to a trailer—such as a straight truck or box truck. Drivers will perform mostly residential deliveries/ pickups stemming from our growing FedEx Freight Direct service and at times perform business deliveries/pickups.

Not only does this program give team members the unique opportunity to grow their careers, but it will also help us close the gap on current driver shortages impacting the industry.

Any questions?
5 straight trucks becomes 20