SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
I worked at SAIA for almost 5 years and watched junior guys pass over me constantly with better start times. They don’t bid routes or start times here and seniority means nothing. They just place you where they want you and that’s where you stay. Now, they have a clever way to make you think they go by seniority but the facts are they don’t. If this thread takes off and gathers some steam I will expose much more but as for now I won’t waste my time on things that no one cares about.

I’m glad I retired with class and can sit back and enjoy the good times a had over 20 plus years. Not everything was great all of the time but I didn’t leave as a whiny little troublemaking bitch either. I guess YMMMV. Keep it classy.

Well isn't that funny train. When I tried a few years back to doing this you had me kicked off the forum. This is and has to be the worst company of all time to have worked for. Between the crap with regional managers and terminal managers it a shi* show and you know it. Between the racism and discriminated people I seen get passsed over because a terminal manager love getting his you know what sucked on by less deserving people. Eventually sh** floats to the top. More yet to come. This place sucks and will never be anything near as good as old Domion. Why ? Because corporate has one set of rules and each regional manager has there's.

Well isn't that funny train. When I tried a few years back to doing this you had me kicked off the forum. This is and has to be the worst company of all time to have worked for. Between the crap with regional managers and terminal managers it a shi* show and you know it. Between the racism and discriminated people I seen get passsed over because a terminal manager love getting his you know what sucked on by less deserving people. Eventually sh** floats to the top. More yet to come. This place sucks and will never be anything near as good as old Domion. Why ? Because corporate has one set of rules and each regional manager has there's.
Hey
My friend has a current and happy member of Old Dominion let me be the first to tell you this also happens to us all the time corporate comes up with the policy but yet each TM runs of the way they see fit I know one example of a dockworker who did a hand written letter to the open door policy committee two weeks later the TM call this gentleman in to speak to him concerning his concerns and When the meeting was over he gave the dock worker the ladder back can you believe that do not ever believe that Old Dominion as it open door policy because all you’re doing is setting yourself up to be terminated just one man’s opinion

Hey

Sorry about the typos it’s kind early in the morning but I think you get the jest of what I’m saying every LTL company non-union is the same but yet we all make great money and it is the business we choose so make the best of a gentleman
My friend has a current and happy member of Old Dominion let me be the first to tell you this also happens to us all the time corporate comes up with the policy but yet each TM runs of the way they see fit I know one example of a dockworker who did a hand written letter to the open door policy committee two weeks later the TM call this gentleman in to speak to him concerning his concerns and When the meeting was over he gave the dock worker the ladder back can you believe that do not ever believe that Old Dominion as it open door policy because all you’re doing is setting yourself up to be terminated just one man’s opinion

Looks like you guys are getting a taste of what most of the trucking industry was like in the 50s,
Nepotism was rampant, brother in law and boss's friends drove newer diesel powered units on long
paying runs, while older employees drove ragged ass gas burners on short low paying runs.
Seniority was just a word, best way to move up, marry the boss's sister.
What to do, what to do, twas back in the good old days.

I’m glad you began this discussion Train. It needs to happen. The favoritism, discrimination, and harassment ran amuck for many years. I saw it firsthand. How about when a TM didn’t want to fill out an injury form for fear they would miss out on a safety bonus? Saw that too...

I won’t ramble around and won’t jump from one topic to another such as the cameras. So let’s address the way they assign city routes which causes most the union talk. Most of it’s done by their perceived notion of who’s the fastest in that particular area. They care about nothing except speed. Seniority means absolutely nothing here. Most of the guys are young and have a physical advantage. But many are just plain dummies in other areas of LTL. There is no accountability here. It only becomes a problem if the TM starts feeling heat. Calling in exceptions is pretty simple but many just can’t get it right. Delivering the wrong freight is fairly common but it’s rarely mentioned to the actual driver that did it. Securing your freight is pretty simple yet so many dock workers must recoup it once it hits the terminal. As long as you’re fast nothing else really matters. Many are fast because they simply ignore things that are time consuming. Waiting until the end of the day to enter your bills is just one example. Absolutely, no accountability at this company. And don’t dare ask why Joe Blow got an earlier start time than you unless you want to find yourself sorting and seging the rest of the month. Racism and discrimination does play a role in some areas but that’s another story that I will get to in time. Now a lot of these problems exist at other LTL companies but SAIA takes it to the next level.

Last edited:
Our accidents at the Garland terminal were leading the region in frequency because of the new guys inability to follow the Smith System objectives. When you push inexperienced guys this is what you create. Shortcuts in safety should never be acceptable. Numbers seem to over ride safety and common sense. OMG, the things I could tell you.

I’ve always stood behind SAIA because I felt I owed them some measure of loyalty because I was taking their money. It’s a different ballgame now. The truth will be exposed in time. It could take awhile men.

And also train,when you did call them out,it didn't take you long to delete your posts. So,the million dollar question is,did you retire on your own or was you forced to retire. I worked for that company for 6 years and it was before they went to the cameras in the trucks,so I know how shady they are on both the city and line haul side.

And also train,when you did call them out,it didn't take you long to delete your posts. So,the million dollar question is,did you retire on your own or was you forced to retire. I worked for that company for 6 years and it was before they went to the cameras in the trucks,so I know how shady they are on both the city and line haul side.
I retired on my own and on my own terms. I didn’t want to give them the satisfaction of cutting me loose. I felt they were coming after me. I had planned on going in March but held off because I wanted to use the healthcare for a couple procedures. I couldn’t fit them in by that March timeline. I’m now on my wife’s healthcare because I’m just 63 and not eligible for Medicare. I had already reached my deductible at SAIA so it made sense to stay. I’m now free from their heavy handed approach and couldn’t be happier. They treated me fair at first but things declined over the years. It was just time to go and I made the decision to leave.

Last edited:
I worked at SAIA for almost 5 years and watched junior guys pass over me constantly with better start times. They don’t bid routes or start times here and seniority means nothing. They just place you where they want you and that’s where you stay. Now, they have a clever way to make you think they go by seniority but the facts are they don’t. If this thread takes off and gathers some steam I will expose much more but as for now I won’t waste my time on things that no one cares about.
WOW!!! You were always the consummate company man and now you retire you finally show some dissent. I don’t know if you remember but I told you years ago you had worked for 2 of the worst carriers in the business. Hats off to you I guess you did what you have to make it across the finish line

WOW!!! You were always the consummate company man and now you retire you finally show some dissent. I don’t know if you remember but I told you years ago you had worked for 2 of the worst carriers in the business. Hats off to you I guess you did what you have to make it across the finish line
This company has changed in over the almost 5 years I’ve worked here. Let me also say that guys that have been here 20+ years say the very same thing. This company was once a very driver friendly company. The culture here changed dramatically with DriveCam and now they find themselves in a position of damage control. SAIA has almost an unbeatable compensation package when you look at the big picture. They are right below FedEx in that regard. The healthcare is unbelievable from a cost standpoint. And the plan itself is outstanding. But where SAIA has went wrong is not so much in compensation but in the arrogance of “it’s my way or the highway.” In the condescending attitude they have and the tone in which they speak to drivers. It doesn’t motivate. It’s destroying the company from the inside out. It’s destroying morale and creating apathy. That’s no way to grow a business. Old Dominion is a prime example of how to grow a business. OD isn’t perfect but they get what SAIA has lost. SAIA has lost it’s way because they don’t treat people equally. A policy is set but then only certain people must abide by it why others just skate. I’ve seen it time and time again. I’m from the outside looking in now and I have no reason to lie. This company is wasting so much potential simply because they want to play favorites. They underestimate the drivers and think things simply go unnoticed. They don’t and that’s a factor that will keep this company from ever reaching the next level. They will never dominate like Old Dominion.

Last edited:
When I first started I had an 11:30am start time. After around 2 years I moved up to an 10:30am. Now, let’s keep this in mind. You had junior guys coming off the dock to driver program moving in 8:30am start times bypassing me. Seniority here means absolutely nothing. At Old Dominion it does mean something. Favoritism, the SAIA culture.

Last edited:
I'd like to call out the cgo regional manager. Nowthere is a guy filled to the brim with filling up people with his little rodeo events trying to build morale. When the fact is he is one of the biggest reasons why cgo is a complete disaster. He is followed around by the HR department with her red hair so close to his a** that if he stops suddenly they're going to have to remove her head from his *SS.
I first hand seen what should've been a dismantle of the mke terminal after a huge security breech and possible theft along with a dock workers kids playing soccer in the parking lot while he drove the yard dog around moving pup trailers. They even caught all this by private security hiding in the parking lot across the street. Then they found multiple trailers with lost and damaged freight filled from front to back. Even watched the regional manager on with rubber gloves on and yet everyone kept their job. Simply simply amazing. Last but not least let's not forget the two pallets of Dell computer labtops nobody could answer for!!!!!! All the food that went into the dock guys car. The toys the office lady took and the other items I see daily still walking out! But this company is just the best ever! We care we share my a**

When I first started I had an 11:30am start time. After around 2 years I moved up to an 10:30am. Now, let’s keep this in mind. You had junior guys coming off the dock to driver program moving in 8:30am start times bypassing me. Seniority here means absolutely nothing. At Old Dominion it does mean something. Favoritism, the SAIA culture.
Got to hand it to you RAT, you ate ::shit:: sandwiches for years and told everybody they tasted good, now all of a sudden you decide the don't taste so good.