SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

OMG...Phil will probably stroke out before I’m through. I’ve just started on the start times so far. I’ve got a whole list of issues to whine like a bitch about. I think truck assignments will be next. I will save the best for last.

They own you. Even in retirement. Get some help brother. PLOM’s disease is curable.

Not defending Saia, I’ve had my share or grievances, didn’t like the cameras, didn’t like the lies, etc.... I’ve been through the lay offs, I’ve bedn through the insurance changes, I’ve been through the pay cuts and loss of benefits, and each time I had a choice to stay or leave. I stayed because it’s the same everywhere. I stayed long enough to pick my runs. Left on a 600+ mike M-F daytime run because it was the right time for me to leave. Didn’t whine, didn’t cry, I just won the game and walked away. Outlasted or outlived everyone that that did me wrong including a VP who got :shit:canned right before I left. No hard feelings, he did his thing, I overcame and moved on.
I’m glad for you. But don’t mistake my concerns for my ex co-workers as bitterness. I’m far from bitter. I retired at 63 comfortably. I have much to be thankful for. But this isn’t about me. It’s about my friends that call me everyday for advice. My advice is get out of debt so you have more options.

What have I defended? I havent defended Saia. Your grievances wouldn’t fill a thimble compared to the things guys with 20 years had to deal with, some of us just knew we had a choice and chose the devil we knew over the devil we didn’t know and made it work.
I’ve paid my dues hotshot. 20 years at Overnite. 45 years in LTL. Just because I didn’t spend my whole career at SAIA doesn’t mean ::shit::.

I’ve paid my dues hotshot. 20 years at Overnite. 45 years in LTL. Just because I didn’t spend my whole career at SAIA doesn’t mean :::shit:::.

Hell, you should have a few retirements going then. Good on you.
You should spend your time enjoying them. There is nothing you can do for anyone at Saia. There is nothing to share that they don’t already know. If you want to lead the pity party, be my guest, but I’d rather see you enjoy retirement.

Phil overcame and moved on yet here you are! I rest my case! Train bust this :::shit::: storm loose! I've never been more excited

Trying to save train from staying in this pity party your wanting him to kick off. Your ‘stuck’ here I assume? Too bad. Might ought to try to make it work for you. When your a winner you’ll quit being a whiner.

The odds are good for a layoff this year. Sales culled far too many accounts and now are begging to get them back. Sorry, OD scooped them up.
Here's where things get for someone like me on this. Seinority should mean something and this is a shining example of where a CBA comes into play. At a very minimum a company policy in writing stating the rules/criteria they use to decide who gets laid off. It's a crock of $!1t to pick whoever they want with no rules in writing.

This company has changed in over the almost 5 years I’ve worked here. Let me also say that guys that have been here 20+ years say the very same thing. This company was once a very driver friendly company. The culture here changed dramatically with DriveCam and now they find themselves in a position of damage control. SAIA has almost an unbeatable compensation package when you look at the big picture. They are right below FedEx in that regard. The healthcare is unbelievable from a cost standpoint. And the plan itself is outstanding. But where SAIA has went wrong is not so much in compensation but in the arrogance of “it’s my way or the highway.” In the condescending attitude they have and the tone in which they speak to drivers. It doesn’t motivate. It’s destroying the company from the inside out. It’s destroying morale and creating apathy. That’s no way to grow a business. Old Dominion is a prime example of how to grow a business. OD isn’t perfect but they get what SAIA has lost. SAIA has lost it’s way because they don’t treat people equally. A policy is set but then only certain people must abide by it why others just skate. I’ve seen it time and time again. I’m from the outside looking in now and I have no reason to lie. This company is wasting so much potential simply because they want to play favorites. They underestimate the drivers and think things simply go unnoticed. They don’t and that’s a factor that will keep this company from ever reaching the next level. They will never dominate like Old Dominion.
Sounds like maybe they could use a Union to help with their seniority issues. One of the many benefits of having a union that are not easily related to the unorganized. Any how if you feel like you would want to work a little longer Yrc would be happy to have ya. Full paid insurance $340/ wk

Here's where things get for someone like me on this. Seinority should mean something and this is a shining example of where a CBA comes into play. At a very minimum a company policy in writing stating the rules/criteria they use to decide who gets laid off. It's a crock of $!1t to pick whoever they want with no rules in writing.

Here is the way it’s always been. First to go is people with over four points and or multiple write ups. Then by seniority in position. I’ve seen senior drivers go over new drivers because of write ups which usually are caused by attitude. Must I wasn’t sorry to see go.

Here is the way it’s always been. First to go is people with over four points and or multiple write ups. Then by seniority in position. I’ve seen senior drivers go over new drivers because of write ups which usually are caused by attitude. Must I wasn’t sorry to see go.
So basically you can get written up for trying to be safe but the TM or supervisor sees it differently. Than come layoff time they say see ya. Yeah I'll be skipping them over when they make it to Buffalo. No point going down a road that as we age we become looked at as more expendable.

Trying to save train from staying in this pity party your wanting him to kick off. Your ‘stuck’ here I assume? Too bad. Might ought to try to make it work for you. When your a winner you’ll quit being a whiner.
I take it grammar wasn't your strong suit? Yeah I'm stuck here at this Shi* hile of a dump! Can't wait to retire!

Hell, you should have a few retirements going then. Good on you.
You should spend your time enjoying them. There is nothing you can do for anyone at Saia. There is nothing to share that they don’t already know. If you want to lead the pity party, be my guest, but I’d rather see you enjoy retirement.
I do. I’m in good shape and most on here know my story and history at Overnite. You haven’t been a member long enough to have read my story about Overnite. It’s probably best. Let me say that this site is primarily for entertainment purposes only. I may get on here then disappear awhile until I get some free time to post. I’m a big fisherman so most of my time is spent on the lake and occasionally I might post when the fish aren’t biting. I’m really hit and miss on here for the most part. You act as if I’m consumed with this site and stay on here constantly. You’re wrong ... My life consists of mostly hunting and fishing and spending time with the grandkids. I also love to take the grandkids on my ATV’s just to wrangle the very few head of cattle I own. Chill brother.

Sounds like maybe they could use a Union to help with their seniority issues. One of the many benefits of having a union that are not easily related to the unorganized. Any how if you feel like you would want to work a little longer Yrc would be happy to have ya. Full paid insurance $340/ wk
I have no doubt in my mind a CBA would be beneficial to the SAIA workers. But let’s look at the reality of that ever happening at SAIA. If FedEx could never push it through then there is absolutely no way SAIA could ever pull it off. SAIA would fight it to the bitter end just like FedEx did and the union would lose. Same old song, just not enough leverage here in 2018 with a predominately union free LTL industry. That’s the reality so let’s not travel down the road of what if’s ..... It’s perhaps a nice dream but that’s what it shall remain. A dream. I have never been a big believer in the Teamsters anyway. The workers here just need to get debt free so that they have more options to go other places. And not just trucking. Many stay here out of fear of falling and I find that unacceptable. Anything in life requires risk. Some just need to venture out of their comfort zone and not let fear consume them.

Last edited:
That may be their practice/policy, but it’s totally inconsistent from region to region and terminal to terminal.

I have no doubt in my mind a CBA would be beneficial to the SAIA workers. But let’s look at the reality of that ever happening at SAIA. If FedEx could never push it through there is absolutely no way SAIA could ever pull it off. SAIA would fight it to the bitter end just like FedEx did and the union would lose. Same old song, just not enough leverage here in 2018. That’s the reality so let’s not travel down the road of what if’s ..... It’s perhaps a nice dream but that’s what it shall remain. A dream. I have never been a big believer in the Teamsters anyway. The workers here just need to get debt free so that they have more options to go other places. And not just trucking. Many stay here out of fear of falling and I find that unacceptable. Anything in life requires risk. Some just need to venture out of their comfort zone.
There is more than the Teamsters in trucking but not much. I agree with the being debt free and not being schackled to the lender is the best freedom anyone could have. I don't see unions making a big come back but Saia's way of treating people will only make things more difficult for them as time passes. They want the northeast but they may end up regretting it.

There is more than the Teamsters in trucking but not much. I agree with the being debt free and not being schackled to the lender is the best freedom anyone could have. I don't see unions making a big come back but Saia's way of treating people will only make things more difficult for them as time passes. They want the northeast but they may end up regretting it.
I agree with you. The N.E. is uncharted territory and they just may find the union could find a way in. It’s not like the South. And they better figure that out very quickly or find themselves in a very uncomfortable situation.

I agree with you. The N.E. is uncharted territory and they just may find the union could find a way in. It’s not like the South. And they better figure that out very quickly or find themselves in a very uncomfortable situation.
If FedEx had union trouble in Charlotte it can happen almost anywhere if things are bleak enough. It's not all about money but being treated fairly. Just grabbing a grievance form gets things moving usually. Even if we don't win the grievance we get an answer in writing that we all have to live with. Many times it never comes to that.

Thinking Saia doesn’t know anything about the union is not knowing Saia history, or in reality, their present. I still strongly believe YRC or at least their old guard has their fingers in Saia, well, at least their son-in-law. Did I say that out loud?? How dare I.

If FedEx had union trouble in Charlotte it can happen almost anywhere if things are bleak enough. It's not all about money but being treated fairly. Just grabbing a grievance form gets things moving usually. Even if we don't win the grievance we get an answer in writing that we all have to live with. Many times it never comes to that.
It’s been said that the threat of a union can bring about positive change. It may take that before this company learns how to treat their employees with respect. Now I believe corporate thinks that’s happening but the ones down in the trenches know better. The regional managers are out of touch and the TM’s are to busy trying to hide what’s actually going on when it comes to ground operations.