SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

Why this company has become stagnated is because of bad management. A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose motivation. Leaders who practice favoritism in the workplace have no chance to build a culture of trust. Inclusion and fairness in the workplace is not just simply the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing to do.
3auZKb4.jpg
I thought I was the only one full of hypocrisy Phil. I look forward to your witty reply. You’re such a consummate professional company man. Oh, that’s right... you retired a millionaire. My mistake. You’re just the great SAIA activist.

So a company with over 10,000 employees ,a few unhappy people say how it sucks to work here on truckingboards will decide if someone wants to work here or not? If someone decides their future on what is posted by the same few people on this forum , then god help them they have not done thejr homework ! No offense to truckingboards.
The info I get here has helped me decide which ltls would be good to work for and which would not. Info is power. Is much on here spin and opinion? Yes. That’s why God gave us an intellect; to sort and sift through and evaluate to eventually arrive at a wise decision

The info I get here has helped me decide which ltls would be good to work for and which would not. Info is power. Is much on here spin and opinion? Yes. That’s why God gave us an intellect; to sort and sift through and evaluate to eventually arrive at a wise decision
My bad, i thought people came here to see what all can fit in Dave's hat. Or how many goats Billy can get on his lawnmower.

Information, in today’s world, is readily available. What each of us does with that is up to the individual. I believe the common theme amongst (some of) is is this: Saia may be a good fit for some folks under the right conditions. But for some of us who wanted something different and better - moving on was a better fit for a myriad of reasons.

Why this company has become stagnated is because of bad management. A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose motivation. Leaders who practice favoritism in the workplace have no chance to build a culture of trust. Inclusion and fairness in the workplace is not just simply the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing to do.
3auZKb4.jpg
T
3auZKb4.jpg
The best didn’t flee. Don’t flatter yourself.

Information, in today’s world, is readily available. What each of us does with that is up to the individual. I believe the common theme amongst (some of) is is this: Saia may be a good fit for some folks under the right conditions. But for some of us who wanted something different and better - moving on was a better fit for a myriad of reasons.
You moving on was surly better for us.

The co
That’s your opinion. I don’t put a lot of stock in that.
Obviously you’re one of the favorite individuals that doesn’t want to lose any preferential treatment. All anyone has to do is go on other threads in this forum and see I’m not the only one with this opinion. SAIA has built a reputation much like XPO. They did it to themselves with DriveCam. This was once a driver friendly company but that was destroyed with arrogant and condescending managers with big egos.

The co
Obviously you’re one of the favorite individuals that doesn’t want to lose any preferential treatment. All anyone has to do is go on other threads in this forum and see I’m not the only one with this opinion. SAIA has built a reputation much like XPO. They did it to themselves with DriveCam. This was once a driver friendly company but that was destroyed with arrogant and condescending managers with big egos.
Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t make me a “favorite individual”with “preferential treatment “. I used to give you a lot of credit when you were an employee but since you quit you changed. I’ve lost all respect for you and I know you don’t care so go fishing.

I thought I was the only one full of hypocrisy Phil. I look forward to your witty reply. You’re such a consummate professional company man. Oh, that’s right... you retired a millionaire. My mistake. You’re just the great SAIA activist.

Even in this thread I never said I agreed with everything. I also said your complaints wouldn’t fill a thimble compared to what those of us who actually had time with the company have seen change. Just in this thread alone. You didn’t have to go far to find that, but for dramatic effect you did, and that is so flattering my friend, I didn’t know you were so enamoured by me. It’s almost embarrassing.

So yes, wife and I have over a million in liquid assets. Wise investments. Six digit incomes, three rental properties, and a ranch we lease out to Stroh in southern Colorado. I was fibbing about 16 more years to go. Wife’s retirement is in 8 years, I thought it was longer...... Now, as an aside, I have started a retirement job with a major city, totally out of the trucking industry, but even it would only be 14 years and three months to a full retirement if I don’t purchase time to shorten it. So yeah, you got me on the 16 years.

Here is a major difference between the poor-little-ole-me syndrome that you all are whining about and myself.
In 1996 when the LH manager made changes and bragged about expecting 50% to quit I replied to him “I’ll outlast you or outlive you.” I did both.
When I was told drivers were a dime a dozen by a current Linehaul manager back in 97 or 98 I told him he should be glad he finally found someone he didn’t have to buy out of the bargain bin. I was right, he got a real driver.
When they quit giving us Christmas bonuses and told us drivers ‘voted’ on getting two more days off a year I called BS in a quarterly meeting, not behind anyone’s back.
When they took our ownership of our vacations away at the first of the year and the CFO told us that it didn’t really change anything I asked her in another quarterly meeting why the stockholders report posted a 14million dollar savings with the stroke of a pen. When she responded if I stayed till I was 55 it would be fine, I told her I would be retired by 50. Missed it by one year.
You get the picture you little drama queen? I either respectfully and or tactfully asked these questions face to face like a real driver would. Each time I made a decision to stay and kicked dirt over it and moved on. This job pays more money then any other driving job, as an industry not necessarily as a company. Where else can you go with a high school education, wear blue jeans to work, and make over 100k a year working five days a week?

Quit your whining. You finally made a decision to leave. Did it on your terms. Put that feather in your hat and claim the win. Build these other fellows up if you really feel like helping out, miring them down in moaning and whining and trying to convince anyone, especially yourself, that you could do a better job at running a company is juvenile. If you could you’d have your name on the side of the trucks, not your ass in the seat of it.

Even in this thread I never said I agreed with everything. I also said your complaints wouldn’t fill a thimble compared to what those of us who actually had time with the company have seen change. Just in this thread alone. You didn’t have to go far to find that, but for dramatic effect you did, and that is so flattering my friend, I didn’t know you were so enamoured by me. It’s almost embarrassing.

So yes, wife and I have over a million in liquid assets. Wise investments. Six digit incomes, three rental properties, and a ranch we lease out to Stroh in southern Colorado. I was fibbing about 16 more years to go. Wife’s retirement is in 8 years, I thought it was longer...... Now, as an aside, I have started a retirement job with a major city, totally out of the trucking industry, but even it would only be 14 years and three months to a full retirement if I don’t purchase time to shorten it. So yeah, you got me on the 16 years.

Here is a major difference between the poor-little-ole-me syndrome that you all are whining about and myself.
In 1996 when the LH manager made changes and bragged about expecting 50% to quit I replied to him “I’ll outlast you or outlive you.” I did both.
When I was told drivers were a dime a dozen by a current Linehaul manager back in 97 or 98 I told him he should be glad he finally found someone he didn’t have to buy out of the bargain bin. I was right, he got a real driver.
When they quit giving us Christmas bonuses and told us drivers ‘voted’ on getting two more days off a year I called BS in a quarterly meeting, not behind anyone’s back.
When they took our ownership of our vacations away at the first of the year and the CFO told us that it didn’t really change anything I asked her in another quarterly meeting why the stockholders report posted a 14million dollar savings with the stroke of a pen. When she responded if I stayed till I was 55 it would be fine, I told her I would be retired by 50. Missed it by one year.
You get the picture you little drama queen? I either respectfully and or tactfully asked these questions face to face like a real driver would. Each time I made a decision to stay and kicked dirt over it and moved on. This job pays more money then any other driving job, as an industry not necessarily as a company. Where else can you go with a high school education, wear blue jeans to work, and make over 100k a year working five days a week?

Quit your whining. You finally made a decision to leave. Did it on your terms. Put that feather in your hat and claim the win. Build these other fellows up if you really feel like helping out, miring them down in moaning and whining and trying to convince anyone, especially yourself, that you could do a better job at running a company is juvenile. If you could you’d have your name on the side of the trucks, not your ass in the seat of it.
Much like you my money will outlast me. Built most of my wealth in my 20 years at Overnite and the rest I inherited. At 63 I’m a little older than you but probably a little more wiser. I don’t feel the need to go into specifics about everything I have. My IRA will give me more flexibility than a 401K with many more options. It appears we both have made good decisions at least financially. You’re smart... I can tell that. As you know there are many number of ways to build wealth.. Rental houses are a good way to build your portfolio. But the main attributes are patience and diversification. I don’t buy individual securities. I don’t buy the latest hot investments. I invest in low-cost broad-based index mutual funds or ETFs. Me and my wife learned how to handle our own investments and money. That means no-load funds, no high broker fees, and no management fees. I’m not here to get in a pissing contest with you. I just wanted to get a few things off my chest before I leave this site. I just wanted to vent! I know it serves no constructive purpose and that’s why it’s coming to an end very soon. I will leave it to the others to shout at the rain in vain. No one is listening anyway. Especially the stockholders.

Last edited:

My biggest complaint about this company is how they lied about DriveCam and it goes way back to when O’dell said he didn’t feel the need for driver facing cameras. Then they promised not to weaponize them and they did anyway. Dude, I just wanted to vent about a few issues but you felt the need to call me a whiner. You wanted to make it personal. I supported this company when most were ripping it to shreds. I just want the few guys that come on this site to pass the word that SAIA can’t be trusted to keep their word. And that they may want to consider that before they apply. I recommend to the young guys to stay in college and further their education. Trucking is not all it’s cracked up to be. Aspire to be something more.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint about this company is how they lied about DriveCam and it goes way back to when O’dell said he didn’t feel the need for driver facing cameras. Then they promised not to weaponize them and they did anyway. Dude, I just wanted to vent about a few issues but you felt the need to call me a whiner. You wanted to make it personal. I supported this company when most were ripping it to shreds. I just want the few guys that come on this site to pass the word that SAIA can’t be trusted to keep their word. And that they may want to consider that before they apply. I recommend to the young guys to stay in college and further their education. Trucking is not all it’s cracked up to be. Aspire to be something more.

We can agree on a lot of things and especially this. I don’t trust anyone with my future and don’t rely on anyone for my happiness.
Any company is out for themselves first. It is heightened by every level in business they achieve and when they finally become a stock held company it’s totally about the dollars. Numbers in numbers out. You are a number to them and one important realization you must accept is that they do not issue anyone in your family a number. To them they do not exist. The next one is that the only people the need to make happy are the shareholders. Not the shareholders that are on our level, the shareholders that have ‘real’ money. To them it’s only about gains and losses. That’s not a Saia thing, that’s just life.

Learn the rules of the game. I did. Win using those rules. Saia is an income source. Pretty easy work for good money for those of us that work with our hands and backs. Make that money work for you. Keep your head down, do your job, leave it at work. Repeat. Everything else is a wasted effort. Do things that make you happier in life. This banging your head against the wall isn’t productive and is only relished by small minds that will never find personal or financial success.

You’ve attained your financial goals. Now you’ve got personal goals to attain. I’m betting this isn’t on that list.
I’ll probably do something until the day I die, I’m built that way. I saw my father decline after his second retirement. We weren’t built to stop I guess. I’m following in his footsteps. Achieved retiring early, now knocking out a second career where it’s about personal and professional achievement, not financial. That’s my fishing and hunting and traveling. It’s what I like. Do what you like train, you’ve already won the game, if feeding the little trolls entertains you have at it, it sure is comical.

This thread is kind of pathetic. From my view point you should have stuck up for yourself when you actually worked there. Now you retired and are trying to take cheap shots at the company??? If I were you I would enjoy retirement and forget all this bs.

This thread is kind of pathetic. From my view point you should have stuck up for yourself when you actually worked there. Now you retired and are trying to take cheap shots at the company??? If I were you I would enjoy retirement and forget all this bs.
I wanted to go out on my terms and because so many in the company knew who I was it had to be the way it was done. I would have put a big target on my back and they would have found a way to terminate me. I have called this company out on here before and I felt the heat to back down. If you want to call it a cheap shot then so be it. I had no other choice if I wanted to go out on my terms. This company can be very vindictive if they have a reason. I never gave them enough of a reason so I was able to go out on my terms. Retiring at 63.

I wanted to go out on my terms and because so many in the company knew who I was it had to be the way it was done. I would have put a big target on my back and they would have found a way to terminate me. I have called this company out on here before and I felt the heat to back down. If you want to call it a cheap shot then so be it. I had no other choice if I wanted to go out on my terms. This company can be very vindictive if they have a reason. I never gave them enough of a reason so I was able to go out on my terms. Retiring at 63.

So you came on here and lied to fellow truck drivers about the company you worked for, fed them a bunch of bs all the while you knew better? Seems pretty low character. Just like the clowns on my forum that can't speak objectively, I find this to be very sad.

So you came on here and lied to fellow truck drivers about the company you worked for, fed them a bunch of bs all the while you knew better? Seems pretty low character. Just like the clowns on my forum that can't speak objectively, I find this to be very sad.
Absolutely not. Things declined rapidly in the last 6 months. Things were good until then. In retrospect I should have probably spoke a little sooner. As you always told me, why don’t you mind your own business. Go back on the FedEx forum and cause trouble. Although I must say I’m about done here.