SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

That could be true in some aspects Coal but the Teamsters aren’t without their problems either. I think a Teamsters campaign would bring about some positive changes here just like at FedEx. But I could never see them getting a contract. It’s just not realistic here in 2018. I will say that if they push the N.E. like they do the South they may find themselves in a very uncomfortable situation.
The North doesn’t play.

yeah but the way saia treats people a union couldn't hurt this place it could only level the playing field

Not saying all unions are bad. Heck my grandfather was heavily involved in the teamsters in the south back in the day for yellow freight. But when he told me before he passed he said son stay away from the union because it ain't t like it used to be. It's all about the money now and not protecting the workers. He never steered me wrong. And that bit of info has served me well through the years. Maybe a union could fix it. Doubtful though. This whole country has got to realign there beliefs and thought patterns for things to change in the corporate world.

Heck my grandfather was heavily involved in the teamsters in the south back in the day for yellow freight. But when he told me before he passed he said son stay away from the union because it ain't t like it used to be. It's all about the money now and not protecting the workers. He never steered me wrong.
Smart man.

I don’t recall telling anyone how much money I have. Do you have that dollar amount? Copy and paste it brother Joe. What’s my net worth Joe? You said I disclosed it! Come on, hot shot. Bring it!
Well I guess you got me, all of the I can go out on my own terms, I have enough money I don't need them for years led me to believe you were the Dave Ramsey of Texass, I guess you got me.
If I’m not mistaken Joe is a retired Teamster
You are mistaken, I am retired union and a former teamster, I can draw a small teamster pension but choose not to for reasons that are mine.
Joe I usually keep my mouth shut but good Lord man shut your pie hole! The man is just venting how about all those union wages you have stolen over the years. You all do it. Heck I've seen every union line just laying around and sleeping and stealing time.
So who said anything about a union? I am pointing out that the RAT talks out of both sides of his mouth, SAIA/ Rick O'dell are the next coming of Christ while he's working and when he quits, retires or got fired ( you didn't get fired and lie about it did you RAT?) they are all evil.

That could be true in some aspects Coal but the Teamsters aren’t without their problems either. I think a Teamsters campaign would bring about some positive changes here just like at FedEx. But I could never see them getting a contract. It’s just not realistic here in 2018. I will say that if they push the N.E. like they do the South they may find themselves in a very uncomfortable situation.
I actually disagree this time. The old guys are starting to get out of this business and the new younger guys are starting to get in and I think you're going to see the unions make a comeback why? Let's face it our generation wanted to get rid of them but the new generation believes in power in numbers you're already seeing it with the fast food industry I think it's just the beginning just give it some time

just a real quick side here to all those who gave all the power back to Rick Odell the company we don't need no stinkin Union you know we can work without a union we don't need it. How is that all working out for all of you? Give all power back to the company and all we ended up was with poor management and huge discrepancies across the company-wide as far as rules and regulations they pick and choose who they want to lay off and Fire this place is just like most wanted,! But who has your back when the company turns on you,? After all we gave them the power!

just a real quick side here to all those who gave all the power back to Rick Odell the company we don't need no stinkin Union you know we can work without a union we don't need it. How is that all working out for all of you? Give all power back to the company and all we ended up was with poor management and huge discrepancies across the company-wide as far as rules and regulations they pick and choose who they want to lay off and Fire this place is just like most wanted,! But who has your back when the company turns on you,? After all we gave them the power!

For train from facebook page!

Horrible Management in the Northeast
I was excited when I decided to leave my job of 7 years for Saia. I thought it was the perfect job and perfect timing. I was WRONG! My Terminal Manager Martin Underwood call me 20mins before I was suppose to wake up for work and said they had a video of my sleeping behind the wheel for 12 seconds. I was given the option to quit or take a sleep apnea test. It took 3 days for me to get a hold of the video on my own. I was not sleeping behind the wheel for 12 seconds on the very curvy I-76 a long the Schuylkill River. The poor quality video shows a driver in control without lane deviation while taking a significant cruve. I have proof that I wasn't sleeping but no one wanted to have a meeting so I could prove myself. I spoke with my Terminal Manager Martin Underwood again and told him that I wasn't sleeping, I have proof, and once it's proven, I would like to be compensated for the time I've been off and an apology. He laughed and said I was in no position to ask for anything and I should be very careful how I wanted to approach this situation. Very unprofessional! After being out of work for 3 weeks behind the Regional safety manager Jack Plappert bad call, I started back at work. I put in my 2 week notice at 11:32a.m. July 11, 2017 and they decided to let me go. The level of unprofessionalism that has been shown from management (Terminal Manager Martin Underwood, Regional Safety manager Jack Plappert, and Carla in safty out of GA) out of the Philadelphia terminal has been unbelievable. It's a lot more to this story but I would not recommend this Company to anyone. Another constant issue was competition for extra work. I constantly had to ask my TM and Dispatcher to put pay into the system for extra work I did weeks ago. In less than 90 days they have had 1 sales rep, 1 dispatcher, 1 city driver, and 2 line drivers quit so far. That's just at the Philadelphia terminal. There's more at the Newark terminal. That says a lot.

I was excited when I decided to leave my job of 7 years for Saia. I thought it was the perfect job and perfect timing. I was WRONG! My Terminal Manager Martin Underwood call me 20mins before I was suppose to wake up for work and said they had a video of my sleeping behind the wheel for 12 seconds. I was given the option to quit or take a sleep apnea test. It took 3 days for me to get a hold of the video on my own. I was not sleeping behind the wheel for 12 seconds on the very curvy I-76 a long the Schuylkill River. The poor quality video shows a driver in control without lane deviation while taking a significant cruve. I have proof that I wasn't sleeping but no one wanted to have a meeting so I could prove myself. I spoke with my Terminal Manager Martin Underwood again and told him that I wasn't sleeping, I have proof, and once it's proven, I would like to be compensated for the time I've been off and an apology. He laughed and said I was in no position to ask for anything and I should be very careful how I wanted to approach this situation. Very unprofessional! After being out of work for 3 weeks behind the Regional safety manager Jack Plappert bad call, I started back at work. I put in my 2 week notice at 11:32a.m. July 11, 2017 and they decided to let me go. The level of unprofessionalism that has been shown from management (Terminal Manager Martin Underwood, Regional Safety manager Jack Plappert, and Carla in safty out of GA) out of the Philadelphia terminal has been unbelievable. It's a lot more to this story but I would not recommend this Company to anyone. Another constant issue was competition for extra work. I constantly had to ask my TM and Dispatcher to put pay into the system for extra work I did weeks ago. In less than 90 days they have had 1 sales rep, 1 dispatcher, 1 city driver, and 2 line drivers quit so far. That's just at the Philadelphia terminal. There's more at the Newark terminal. That says a lot.

I feel for you brother. The points made in your post are par for the course for Saia. Lots of people to blame, but the driver ends up the scapegoat. I wonder...did any of those managers actually drive the route where this allegedly occurred - to see for themselves that, if you were asleep, you would’ve crashed? I seriously doubt it. Common sense takes too much effort for Saia management. Same goes with your additional compensation...hope you will just forget about it altogether if they drag their feet long enough. I would guess that they asked you to break a set and put both trailers to the dock, right? Heaven forbid that they pay you for your work. An extra $10 for extra work is “too much.” And they wonder why they have a driver attraction/retention problem.

I feel for you brother. The points made in your post are par for the course for Saia. Lots of people to blame, but the driver ends up the scapegoat. I wonder...did any of those managers actually drive the route where this allegedly occurred - to see for themselves that, if you were asleep, you would’ve crashed? I seriously doubt it. Common sense takes too much effort for Saia management. Same goes with your additional compensation...hope you will just forget about it altogether if they drag their feet long enough. I would guess that they asked you to break a set and put both trailers to the dock, right? Heaven forbid that they pay you for your work. An extra $10 for extra work is “too much.” And they wonder why they have a driver attraction/retention problem.
I got this off the corporate Facebook page! Classic!

Last edited:
From my experience, Saia is too top heavy with people who have never driven a truck, run a city route, Linehaul, or loaded/unloaded freight on the dock. They (not all, but the majority) just go by what they read in a book or on the internet. They possess zero real world experience in what it takes to move freight. And then vilify those that do. Then they respond favorably to “brown nosing” and other such tactics. Train indicated in a previous post about how he was passed over for younger drivers, without even being given the opportunity. They have a term for that: discrimination based on age. Just happens to be illegal BTW...

Not saying all unions are bad. Heck my grandfather was heavily involved in the teamsters in the south back in the day for yellow freight. But when he told me before he passed he said son stay away from the union because it ain't t like it used to be. It's all about the money now and not protecting the workers. He never steered me wrong. And that bit of info has served me well through the years. Maybe a union could fix it. Doubtful though. This whole country has got to realign there beliefs and thought patterns for things to change in the corporate world.
:butt kiss: this doesn’t help you at all .If you know the rules ,You can play the game.Better with than without your a at will employee ,Figure it out.

From my experience, Saia is too top heavy with people who have never driven a truck, run a city route, Linehaul, or loaded/unloaded freight on the dock. They (not all, but the majority) just go by what they read in a book or on the internet. They possess zero real world experience in what it takes to move freight. And then vilify those that do. Then they respond favorably to “brown nosing” and other such tactics. Train indicated in a previous post about how he was passed over for younger drivers, without even being given the opportunity. They have a term for that: discrimination based on age. Just happens to be illegal BTW...
But tell me big buck ,Can you change your companies culture ,Remember your CEO’s father in law worked for YRC..,After 41 years in the business and working for 12 different freight carriers ,In the end .They were all the same.If you guys change things and do it all by your selves ,Great. Then you ,Don’t need us or any body else .And How is that working out for you guys right now.

Are you saying people are more stupid or they just like being sheep.If you like fending for your self, open you wallet and you’ll find a hungry lawyer near bye.We pay dues for representation and if your not to smart you’ll taken to the cleaners .Know your rights and let the people you pay defend you.
Here is representation. https://www.eeoc.gov

They are playing with fire in the N.E. >>>>>> It's just a matter of time before they get their ass burnt. But that's no problem for them because they have money to burn. They are just continuing to build a reputation that will continue to cause massive turnover. And to be honest they just don't give a ****. It's become their culture.