SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

I think you can change your culture, if you make it a priority. It’s just like anything else. Whether it’s improving safety, acquiring new equipment, expanding into new territory, fuel islands at terminals...those were made priorities and came to fruition. Rick is a numbers man, so I suspect that is the area he will always be focused upon. But it seems there is a glaring number that is growing...driver attraction and retention. He (or someone) should address root cause and plan and execute a PIP for that. Isn’t that generally Saia protocol in most other areas of concern?

I know people who use this method and have failed with them. Union is still a better choice IMO
I agree Coal but unfortunately many just don’t have the “will” to push the union through. It’s been tried in Dallas and just can’t gain any steam. Perhaps it just hasn’t reached the tipping point. I hear through a very reliable sources that after the 1st of the year another attempt will be made. Whether it will succeed is anyone’s guess. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. You can lead a man to knowledge but you can’t make him think.

SAIA rules through fear and intimidation and so many of the old timers are simply afraid. They don’t know what it’s like to work under a CBA and either can’t or won’t educate themselves. The young guys look around but ultimately they follow the senior guys. When guys are drowning in debt they simply can’t take any chances. That’s why when guys drive up in brand new vehicles management just drools. It’s been this way for decades and I don’t see things changing anytime soon. My reasons over the years for not attempting to secure a CBA was very complicated. But it most certainly wasn’t out of fear. There is an upside but as with anything there’s also a downside.

Here is representation. https://www.eeoc.gov
And you used them before personally,Is this from your own experience and are they impartial and unbiased.Really and will you get a hearing right away.Or will your employer fire you before because of some trumped up company policy or work rule (,Like running a stop sign)Do you have access to company records and or other disciplinary measures taken upon other employees.Remember we keep records of disciplinary measures taken upon our members by companies There is not supposed to be disparate treatment.Everyone gets the same or less depending upon circumstances Can you actually say Saia treats every one the same for the same instances .Or will the EEOC vindicate you not knowing anything or little about the trucking industry or what we do.If you get fired for theft drunkenness Violence or repeated offenses of companies policy ,Nobody can help you ,not even the EEOC.Remember If you don’t like the teamsters there are others try the operating engineers or machinist union.Or in your case retire if you can’t fight any more.Enjoy The next chapter of your life brother ,No Worries a No Hurry ,You got nothing but Time!:violin:

And you used them before personally,Is this from your own experience and are they impartial and unbiased.Really and will you get a hearing right away.Or will your employer fire you before because of some trumped up company policy or work rule (,Like running a stop sign)Do you have access to company records and or other disciplinary measures taken upon other employees.Remember we keep records of disciplinary measures taken upon our members by companies There is not supposed to be disparate treatment.Everyone gets the same or less depending upon circumstances Can you actually say Saia treats every one the same for the same instances .Or will the EEOC vindicate you not knowing anything or little about the trucking industry or what we do.If you get fired for theft drunkenness Violence or repeated offenses of companies policy ,Nobody can help you ,not even the EEOC.Remember If you don’t like the teamsters there are others try the operating engineers or machinist union.Or in your case retire if you can’t fight any more.Enjoy The next chapter of your life brother ,No Worries a No Hurry ,You got nothing but Time!:violin:
You make some valid points but ultimately it comes down to the workers willingness to make a stand. It hasn’t reached the tipping point. At least not yet.

I agree Coal but unfortunately many just don’t have the “will” to push the union through. It’s been tried in Dallas and just can’t gain any steam. Perhaps it just hasn’t reached the tipping point. I hear through a very reliable sources that after the 1st of the year another attempt will be made. Whether it will succeed is anyone’s guess. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. You can lead a man to knowledge but you can’t make him think.
I thank you train for having the balls to post your thoughts in a open forum.Your a season veteran of the industry and we may have had our differences at times but it really is all about people and what’s best for them and there families ,every one in this industry is just trying to make a buck and keep there heads above water .I want to again thank you for reaching out and speaking out.Happy Trails ,buckaroo

You make some valid points but ultimately it comes down to the workers willingness to make a stand. It hasn’t reached the tipping point. At least not yet.
Well you should be a voice now!You have the experience and Now the time.You have taken enough ::shit:: for years and had to eat crow.Its time .The young guys have no guidance.You Remember you had a mentor early on in your career.Help those who can’t or do not know enough to help them selves .Its the Christian thing to do.Carry on!

Our accidents at the Garland terminal were leading the region in frequency because of the new guys inability to follow the Smith System objectives. When you push inexperienced guys this is what you create. Shortcuts in safety should never be acceptable. Numbers seem to over ride safety and common sense. OMG, the things I could tell you.
I know I'm late to the party but Smith System is a bunch of horse manure. I'm so happy I now work at a company that doesnt shove that s*** down your throat every chance they get. Not getting in accidents is common sense, you dont have to make a system about it.

Well you should be a voice now!You have the experience and Now the time.You have taken enough :::shit::: for years and had to eat crow.Its time .The young guys have no guidance.You Remember you had a mentor early on in your career.Help those who can’t or do not know enough to help them selves .Its the Christian thing to do.Carry on!
I agree Train carry on. If people google search a company their considering working for they will most likely stumble upon this site.
I know I'm late to the party but Smith System is a bunch of horse manure. I'm so happy I now work at a company that doesnt shove that s*** down your throat every chance they get. Not getting in accidents is common sense, you dont have to make a system about it.
I quote to anyone that asks about training I say Smith System. All Good Kids Love Milk! I'm left alone after that.

People would be crazy to make a decision about a career based on the rants of what seems to be disgruntled employees and ex employees.
People are crazy enough to buy a Ford or a Chevy, based on others opinions, why not get some advice on where you might take a job?

I actually disagree this time. The old guys are starting to get out of this business and the new younger guys are starting to get in and I think you're going to see the unions make a comeback why? Let's face it our generation wanted to get rid of them but the new generation believes in power in numbers you're already seeing it with the fast food industry I think it's just the beginning just give it some time

I hope you're right. Not all of your generation tried to get rid of them. Some of us weren't brainwashed. The Democratic party abandoned the worker and allowed union busting laws, e.g. right to work, be shoved down our throats.