SAIA | Now that I’m retired .... let’s expose the truth!

In theory a Union sounds great. The reality is a completely different story. The Teamsters would only hurt the employees compensation package. That’s the bottom line.

probably so, but when does the lopsided treatment become relevant I ask??? You hear all the stories of the shady characters and there actions going unanswered but yet we’re securitized and penalized for the most minor, ridiculous offenses. There good at playing the COA card when we have NO protection at all. Pretty arrogant if you ask me. I wouldn’t like my compensation messed with either but if you have no job, you have no money. It’s the gamble you take.

Ron. the tm was changing our stop times in the timeclock on 2 of our drivers, stealing time from us. It was brought to his attention and he wouldn't do anything about it. TM was finally fired about 18 months later
Those drivers should report this to the Department of Labor in Missouri. If they were working and not being compensated, that’s wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

probably so, but when does the lopsided treatment become relevant I ask??? You hear all the stories of the shady characters and there actions going unanswered but yet we’re securitized and penalized for the most minor, ridiculous offenses. There good at playing the COA card when we have NO protection at all. Pretty arrogant if you ask me. I wouldn’t like my compensation messed with either but if you have no job, you have no money. It’s the gamble you take.
It never becomes relevant for management here. Accept it or leave is their attitude. I’m just glad I’m done and retired and escaped with my health intact. Just pay your dues and get out but don’t be stupid enough to jump ship. These LTL companies are all the same. Use them like they are using you but be careful and don’t let them push you in an early grave with ridiculous unsafe practices that take a toll on your body. You only get one so take care of it. Don’t blow out your back on pulling that 3K skid one inch. If you get hurt brother you’re on your own.

It never becomes relevant for management here. Accept it or leave is their attitude. I’m just glad I’m done and retired and escaped with my health intact. Just pay your dues and get out but don’t be stupid enough to jump ship. These LTL companies are all the same. Use them like they are using you but be careful and don’t let them push you in an early grave with ridiculous unsafe practices that take a toll on your body. You only get one so take care of it. Don’t blow out your back on pulling that 3K skid one inch. If you get hurt brother you’re on your own.
That’s the best advice I’ve ever heard you give out.Were the same ,when it come to this ,They will and do abuse people .But union guys can fight back LOL :rulz::chairshot: .Be well ,my friend enjoy the fruits of your labor and happy holidays to you and your family :grouphug:

That is true and I agree. Think about it, if you would of had a union rep, your minuscule stop sign violation would of been laughed out of the office instead of you laughing it off now. You might of truly retired on your own terms then. Just my opinion.

That is true and I agree. Think about it, if you would of had a union rep, your minuscule stop sign violation would of been laughed out of the office instead of you laughing it off now. You might of truly retired on your own terms then. Just my opinion.
And I value your opinion. And it’s true for so many former drivers. This company has a heavy handed approach in regards to the cameras and they are very selective. As I have stated numerous times... This company plays favorites and what one gets another one skates. I hated this about SAIA!! I would have probably stayed until my full retirement age but the cameras made me call it a day. Another thing was the cpap machine they put me on. I don’t have sleep apnea but the sleep study said I did which was total BS. My wife snores like a freight train and has it so I know what it’s like to truly have it. I don’t snore or gasp for air. I sleep like a baby and I hated wearing that damn mask because Fusionhealth misdiagnosed me. It was like an innocent man being convicted of something he never did. It finally took it’s toll on the Train so I ran one final stop sign on general principles and told them to have a nice day. Well, omit the nice day part.:1036316054:

Last edited:
That’s the best advice I’ve ever heard you give out.Were the same ,when it come to this ,They will and do abuse people .But union guys can fight back LOL :rulz::chairshot: .Be well ,my friend enjoy the fruits of your labor and happy holidays to you and your family :grouphug:
You are right...Union guys can fight back and this company needs a union in the worst way. But the sad reality is the Teamsters have lost all their leverage in LTL. Their fate was sealed when they lost FedEx although it was really lost when they caved on their last few contracts. The downside far outweighs the good side and they have no one to blame but themselves.

You are right...Union guys can fight back and this company needs a union in the worst way. But the sad reality is the Teamsters have lost all their leverage in LTL. Their fate was sealed when they lost FedEx although it was really lost when they caved on their last few contracts. The downside far outweighs the good side and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Train, this is a little off track but can you tell me if the CEO of Saia is the son in law to Bill Zollers ? That could be the reason Saia didn't go in the union when Yellow owned them .

Train, this is a little off track but can you tell me if the CEO of Saia is the son in law to Bill Zollers ? That could be the reason Saia didn't go in the union when Yellow owned them .
Yes, he is. I’ve never believed that Yellow truly separated, maybe legally, but I bet there is influence. Of course, just my opinion.

I was with Jevic when Yellow bought us, Saia and several other regional west coast and Rocky Mountain carriers. Jevic never got re-branded as Saia like the others. My guess is we were not a hub and spoke operation. Back on track. My guess they were doing like CF did. Conway was the non union company of CF. So Yellow wanted a non union company, thus no Teamsters

Tm was just a class A xucking thief and the hr from kc regin wouldn't do anything about it.
I read, but never post. I had to respond to this one. As many of you know, KC. HR. Person has BECOME a p.o.s. I (like some of you) have known this guy since Clark bros. He is in 'personal protection' mode. He only wants to get to retirement. There was a time 10+ years ago, I would take a bullet for the man, now he's a changed man...trying to retire himself. Don't expect A THING from him if it makes waves. It's pains me to say that about this individual, but I wouldn't walk across the street for him. Look outside the region for help when problems arise. M.h.o.

I read, but never post. I had to respond to this one. As many of you know, KC. HR. Person has BECOME a p.o.s. I (like some of you) have known this guy since Clark bros. He is in 'personal protection' mode. He only wants to get to retirement. There was a time 10+ years ago, I would take a bullet for the man, now he's a changed man...trying to retire himself. Don't expect A THING from him if it makes waves. It's pains me to say that about this individual, but I wouldn't walk across the street for him. Look outside the region for help when problems arise. M.h.o.
What changes people? Time? Power? Direction from above? It’s sad really. Be true to yourself. Just care about people and they will take care of you

Agreed buck. Everyone's gonna handle last few years differently I guess, right or wrong.. I'm gonna play their lil game, take their money as long as the Lord wants me here, and go home. I hear a lot of guys talking about years of service..lol..that only matters to US. They don't care how loyal we've all been. We are all a 5 digit number to them. Fine with me...just gimme my check so I can go home.
My hope is to be on marathon key someday on a golf cart talking about anything else!

I did over twenty years with them before I retired. My last day wasn’t any different then the end of my first day, no better, no worse. They never owed me more then a fair days pay for a fair days work. No one should expect any more or any less then that. If you don’t feel like that’s what your getting move on and find that somewhere else. Pretty simple I think.

I did over twenty years with them before I retired. My last day wasn’t any different then the end of my first day, no better, no worse. They never owed me more then a fair days pay for a fair days work. No one should expect any more or any less then that. If you don’t feel like that’s what your getting move on and find that somewhere else. Pretty simple I think.
I agree with your points and I see where you are coming from. But, there are a lot of factors that play into the overall employment experience that are beyond compensation. There are many intangibles that Saia frequently fails at establishing and maintaining. These intangibles have been (almost) mastered by other trucking companies (OD). Oftentimes those intangibles play a larger, long term role in employee attraction and retention. Company culture is probably the broadest term. And if that culture isn’t positive, that’s where issues pop up and become public. Word travels fast these days. Cover ups, sweeping things under the rug, favoritism, inconsistency...the list goes on and on. But, maybe that is what Saia wants...just doesn’t make much sense to anyone else.

I agree with your points and I see where you are coming from. But, there are a lot of factors that play into the overall employment experience that are beyond compensation. There are many intangibles that Saia frequently fails at establishing and maintaining. These intangibles have been (almost) mastered by other trucking companies (OD). Oftentimes those intangibles play a larger, long term role in employee attraction and retention. Company culture is probably the broadest term. And if that culture isn’t positive, that’s where issues pop up and become public. Word travels fast these days. Cover ups, sweeping things under the rug, favoritism, inconsistency...the list goes on and on. But, maybe that is what Saia wants...just doesn’t make much sense to anyone else.

a pretty far stretch to say they want the reputation that they've earned with regard to employees drive facing cameras ect..., I personally think they apparently just don't care as long as the applications keep flowing in

a pretty far stretch to say they want the reputation that they've earned with regard to employees drive facing cameras ect..., I personally think they apparently just don't care as long as the applications keep flowing in
The company could care-less about the driver as long as the freight is moving...… nothing will change until the top management moves on (retires, resigns, or terminated ) in Atlanta.

The company could care-less about the driver as long as the freight is moving...… nothing will change until the top management moves on (retires, resigns, or terminated ) in Atlanta.
Spot on. Company culture starts at the top. Until there is a shift in senior management, the status quo will remain the same

Spot on. Company culture starts at the top. Until there is a shift in senior management, the status quo will remain the same
Pay is great here but life is more than about money..... At least for me. Management is corrupt here and a bunch of backstabbing supervisors that actually enjoy doing it. No accountability here whatsoever. I got tired of selling my soul to the devil. I wanted my soul back. So I retired. Best decision I ever made.