SAIA | Now there's a real Go-Getter...

Fact is...it is illegal. Van type trailers must have the door(s) secured before driving on any public road.

Open type, flat bed, tarped...falls u see a different set of rules. It’s apples to bowling balls.

What this driver did gives trucking a bad name. Also makes Saia look really bad.

Not true... in the old days.... they had chain nets for doors on Van's for city use.

:guiness:
Not true... in the old days.... they had chain nets for doors on Van's for city use.
It really doesn’t matter if it’s illegal or not. The company has a policy to pad lock your trailer. You can’t make exceptions or at least you shouldn’t. You open yourself up for litigation on several different fronts but they obviously don’t care.:guinesssmilie: Let’s drink to it and not worry about the consequences.

Last edited:
I hear you, Stimpy. I was thinking the same thing. When the company I work at was a smaller “family” one, that’s something I would’ve considered to do if I was a couple miles from the yard. But the corporate monster with all the rules I work for now....oh heck no. Need another truck, dispatch..

I see Stimpy is absolutely correct, nothing illegal about this, RTL had chain gates on their city units.
If you remember, last time I did this same thing at Coop YOU gave me a $3 gift certificate to the Golden Arches.
Same trick BillyLo pulled to get his last Mastio award.
I don't see how all these road scholars got out of law school!

I see Stimpy is absolutely correct, nothing illegal about this, RTL had chain gates on their city units.
If you remember, last time I did this same thing at Coop YOU gave me a $3 gift certificate to the Golden Arches.
Same trick BillyLo pulled to get his last Mastio award.
I don't see how all these road scholars got out of law school!
Damn, most just get “attaboys.” It appears everyone has favorites.

:guiness:
It really doesn’t matter if it’s illegal or not. The company has a policy to pad lock your trailer. You can’t make exceptions or at least you shouldn’t. You open yourself up for litigation on several different fronts but they obviously don’t care.:guinesssmilie: Let’s drink to it and not worry about the consequences.

Lol... a lot has changed since the old days... lol

Mostly the drivers

Legal illegal, condoned not condoned, doesn’t matter, it’s stupid. Plain stupid. The reason roll doors on vans need to be down, even when empty on the yard, is the rollers are not strong enough to safely suspend the door from falling out of the tracks during movement and shock. I’m sure you all know hoe heavy these doors are, don’t you?? Swing doors shouldn’t need to be explained. The type of cargo flatbeds and car racks haul is different so that comparison is juvenile at best.

Irresponsible, stupid, amature, dangerous, are amoung the only words that can describe this.

I hear you, Stimpy. I was thinking the same thing. When the company I work at was a smaller “family” one, that’s something I would’ve considered to do if I was a couple miles from the yard. But the corporate monster with all the rules I work for now....oh heck no. Need another truck, dispatch..

CvPjFKf.jpg

AKA ..... BIG DAVE!

Last edited:
Just another policy that is randomly enforced. My question is this: say that pallet fell off the truck and killed a mother taking her kids hone from school. Mom is deceased, and kids are alive but have permanent mental and physical impairments. Would Saia even care? And how many $$$ would it take to settle? These are the kind of cases that never see a courtroom. Hey Saia...don’t you care about the health and safety of the general public? Prove it!
New motto....
WE DONT CARE
AND
SURE DONT SHARE.

Many or most all of you young guys don’t remember the chain curtains ,He’ll most weren’t even born ,yet !!! This must of happened on a Friday and the poor guy didn’t want to give up his overtime.Good job buddy ,your a real company man!
Most all RTL's straight trucks and little city trailers had the chain gates.