Oak Harbor Teamster Update

mrbg7698

TB Lurker
Credits
Monday, January 12, 2009
Just an update from the Oak Harbor Teamsters to keep our supporters informed on the ongoing unfair labor dispute. We are currently in our 20th week of the strike. Some of you may have noticed what appears to be a decline in our presence. This is simply because many have moved on to other jobs. We are still visiting with our customers, and we are still ambulatory picketing.

Oak Harbor has maintained that they are operating at “business as usual” levels which simply is not true. They are operating at an estimated 30% of their previous freight levels. Of which Oak Harbor states that the majority of the decline is because of the economy. Oak Harbor’s freight levels dropped to this level early on in the dispute, and remained at about this level until current time. Oak Harbor has implemented pay cuts, as well as lay offs because of these freight levels, and has been offering freight discounts below profitable rates in a drastic attempt to regain some of their customers. While yes you may be tempted by the low rates, please refrain from shipping with them as Oak Harbor’s current employees are inexperienced. Shipping with Oak Harbor helps lengthen the time it takes for this dispute to be resolved. Oak Harbor could in essence close down at any time leaving customers freight stranded with in their system as has happened with other companies in the past.

The NLRB has found merit in three of the charges against Oak Harbor, with yet another to be determined. Oak Harbor has also lost some of their larger accounts due to the labor dispute, and yet continues to refuse to bargain in good faith.

All of the Teamsters would like to thank you for your ongoing support, and request your continued support until this issue is resolved. In the mean time we also request that until such time that the dispute is settled you ship with one of the other companies when ever possible. Tillamook Portland and USF Reddaway both have services that would probably fit your needs.

Once this dispute is resolved we look forward to returning to work, doing our best to rebuild our relationships with all of our customers, and doing our best to make sure your freight needs are met. Just as we did prior to this labor dispute.

This is a new leaflet that Portland Teamsters are handing out to their customers. Any other Teamsters wishing to have a word doc. of this please send me a personal message with your e-mail, and I will be more than happy to send it to you.

Another :nutkick: for joak harbor!

Hey dave, and ed here is another :tongue0002: to your lies!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Just an update from the Oak Harbor Teamsters to keep our supporters informed on the ongoing unfair labor dispute. We are currently in our 20th week of the strike. Some of you may have noticed what appears to be a decline in our presence. This is simply because many have moved on to other jobs. We are still visiting with our customers, and we are still ambulatory picketing.

Oak Harbor has maintained that they are operating at “business as usual” levels which simply is not true. They are operating at an estimated 30% of their previous freight levels. Of which Oak Harbor states that the majority of the decline is because of the economy. Oak Harbor’s freight levels dropped to this level early on in the dispute, and remained at about this level until current time. Oak Harbor has implemented pay cuts, as well as lay offs because of these freight levels, and has been offering freight discounts below profitable rates in a drastic attempt to regain some of their customers. While yes you may be tempted by the low rates, please refrain from shipping with them as Oak Harbor’s current employees are inexperienced. Shipping with Oak Harbor helps lengthen the time it takes for this dispute to be resolved. Oak Harbor could in essence close down at any time leaving customers freight stranded with in their system as has happened with other companies in the past.

The NLRB has found merit in three of the charges against Oak Harbor, with yet another to be determined. Oak Harbor has also lost some of their larger accounts due to the labor dispute, and yet continues to refuse to bargain in good faith.

All of the Teamsters would like to thank you for your ongoing support, and request your continued support until this issue is resolved. In the mean time we also request that until such time that the dispute is settled you ship with one of the other companies when ever possible. Tillamook Portland and USF Reddaway both have services that would probably fit your needs.

Once this dispute is resolved we look forward to returning to work, doing our best to rebuild our relationships with all of our customers, and doing our best to make sure your freight needs are met. Just as we did prior to this labor dispute.

Why you sound as if you run said company. Wonder why you are out of work? Please explain.

Why you sound as if you run said company. Wonder why you are out of work? Please explain.

Nope, never claimed to run the company. If I did this situation would NOT be in place. I am not out of work as I have stated before. If you had enough intelligence to comprehend what you read you would know that. I do what I can as a teamster when I can, simply because joak harbor does not belong in business with their attitude towords employees, and customers.
I need not explain, or defend myself to you (nor will I) as I have simply stated TRUE facts, something which the vps and company :butt kiss: do not understand. If you do not like the truth to bad for you, wthe Teamsters WILL get the TRUTH out there, and CONTINUE to prove joak harbor management to be the dishonest, greedy, self centered individuals that they are.
It sure seems strange that with the vps here in Portland There are several of the customers that, when asked if they would like to meet with the vps have declined. That says a lot about what the customers think about the vps!:nutkick:

Yeah some guy in a dark SUV dropped this flyer off at our office. We read it and filed it in the round file after he left. He was polite and so were we though. If this update was true why isn't signed by an official with the union? A true document would be signed by someone I could contact to find out more information

Yeah some guy in a dark SUV dropped this flyer off at our office. We read it and filed it in the round file after he left. He was polite and so were we though. If this update was true why isn't signed by an official with the union? A true document would be signed by someone I could contact to find out more information

Sorry I didn't realize any actually took one into the terminal! That is the only place that would be stupid enough to actually support any company the likes of joak harbor if they had a choice. Have you bothered checking up on joak harbor, hmmmmm? Nope other wise you would not be blowing company smoke out your ***. We have not only seen, but also have chacked up on the compnay bs, so you can believe what ever the hell you want, but if you are a customer of joak harber's it will be very funny if the company folds, and your freight is trapped within joak harbors system with no way to get it back.:biglaugh:

just go back to work. plenty of guys out here would just be happy to have a job. Not the teamsters they all always need something to complain about.

just go back to work. plenty of guys out here would just be happy to have a job. Not the teamsters they all always need something to complain about.

We would be happy to go back to work (with a fair contract), of course after the NLRB is done with joak harbor. After all, for all of you that seem to have forgotten, or just posting about things you don't know about. This is an UNFAIR LABOR STRIKE. With charges the the NLRB has found merit for. Joak harbor has been breaking labor laws, and that is what this is all about.
So the antiunion, company :butt kiss: can just wait their turn, and flurish from what the union does for them once again, just as in the past. How soon they forget when it comes to actually standing up for something. You dodn't hear them complaining about a pay increase when the last contract was signed did you? OR do they really think the greedy vps would have given them that out of the kindness of their cold, black hearts?

"...Yeah some guy in a dark SUV dropped this flyer off at our office. We read it and filed it in the round file after he left. He was polite and so were we though. If this update was true why isn't signed by an official with the union? A true document would be signed by someone I could contact to find out more information..."

Oh, you mean you didn't get the other flyers with union contact information?

Well, gee. Just let us know what area you are in, and I'll give you the contact info for the local union in your area. Or you can contact Teamsters Joint Council 28 in Seattle.

And what information were you seeking? Perhaps I can answer your questions.

I mean... you do have questions, don't you? You weren't just being sarcastic and facetious?

I would hardly expect that from someone as obviously open-minded as youself, but I just didn't want to be crushed with disappointment if your seeming concern turned out to be... well... a bit false....

with scum like ed and dave and this mike that keeps spewing this crap about trying to negotiate fairly, the union has a valid reason to complain. these guys have destroyed my family and our future, but I will still pray for them because unlike them I am a true Christian and they actually need prayers because we all know where their souls are heading.:flame:it does not have pearly gates thats for sure

Hmm, let me see. Why are you on strike? Is it the wage increase each year of the contract when the industry has pretty much taken a 10% reduction across the board, or the 1000.00 signing bonus, or the pension remaining the same. Oh thats right, it is unfair labor, only filed from Auburn terminal. Gee whiz, 4 guys not allowed to attend a Sunday Union meeting during their shift they chose to work. Come on guys, why are we really out here. Because there was a strike vote and it was put into the hands of the mighty Teamsters. Well here you go. It has been served up on a silver platter. Quit whining, put your home for sale or on the foreclosure market, buckup and admit you screwed up. Remember when you point a finger you have 3 pointing back at you. After you have exhausted all opportunities to blame someone else, try holding yourself accountable. Have a good day.

with scum like ed and dave and this mike that keeps spewing this crap about trying to negotiate fairly, the union has a valid reason to complain. these guys have destroyed my family and our future, but I will still pray for them because unlike them I am a true Christian and they actually need prayers because we all know where their souls are heading.:flame:it does not have pearly gates thats for sure

Hopefully you pray for yourself for your judgemental actions you have taken.

Hopefully you pray for yourself for your judgemental actions you have taken.

dude, thats not judgemental, thats my opinion because as a Christian you CAN NOT be the direct cause of someones suffering. they have had this planned for quite a while and their actions during this mess has only confirmed my opinions. they have a problem with the teamsters, but the teamsters are made up of individuals with families and dreams of working for a respactable company our whole lives and have a decent retirement. all that has been destroyed because of their ingnorant stand against the union as a whole. damn the individuals they mean nothing that is not being a Christian.

Oh please! Spare us the low brow ethical conundrum. It's overused here. We are all just freeloaders, looking to get a gravy run out of hard-working and innovative people such as the VP's, right?!

Try for a moment thinking of unions as and equalizer. If everyone is treated fairly, and paid well, you won't ever see a card signed at your workplace, if you treat people like dirt and walk all over them you get a union. Seems simple enough, fair enough, taking a stand in this situation exemplifies taking responsibility for yourself and your future.

Bingo!

Silvertooth hit the nail on the head.

Quit cowering behind lame and transparent ultra-right wing philosphical BS, and try to join the rest of us in the real world, where workers sometimes are forced to make a stand on principle and for their rights.

We simply want to be treated fairly, and dealt with honestly, which is far from the reality of the last year and a half.

We are strong because of our unity in this cause, and because we all realize if we don't stand up and make this stand here and now, it will only get worse and worse. And not just for us and our families, either. We will add in some incremental way to the malaise that has gripped the majority of the working middle class in this country.

Time was that standing up for your rights wasn't something to be ashamed of, or hang your head over.

Guess times have changed, huh?

But there's still a few of us who believe in ourselves, and who will stand up and fight for ourselves, our families, and society in general. Whether that society can appreciate it right now or not...

Hmm, let me see. Why are you on strike?
Well I can think of several reasons. First off would be the charges listed here: http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...t-lines/44552-contract-8-a-10.html#post433498 Plus the one that is not listed there that includes the Surface Bargaining charge. The NLRB search is down now or I would have posted it for you.

Is it the wage increase each year of the contract when the industry has pretty much taken a 10% reduction across the board, or the 1000.00 signing bonus, or the pension remaining the same.
I have talked to several over the past 19 weeks and to the person each has said they would have taken a status quo contract. All have said that they would have forgone a raise. Could you show me the industry standard of the 10% wage cut other than YRC? As for the $1000 signing bonus if Oak wants to play money games did they think that was going to make up for the **** poor health plan that they were offering? Or for the sick days that they wanted to take away? Or somehow that was to makeup for the sub-standard pension contributions?

Oh thats right, it is unfair labor, only filed from Auburn terminal. Gee whiz, 4 guys not allowed to attend a Sunday Union meeting during their shift they chose to work. Come on guys, why are we really out here.
You don't understand several things here. First would be the "Team" in the word Teamsters. That means we all work as a TEAM. That means when one group is wronged the whole group is wronged. It also means when when the group is divided all the groups begs. Not one group--ALL the groups. Would Auburn stand a chance striking on their own? Hardly. There is a saying United We Stand, Divided We Beg. Can you understand that?

You state "why are WE out here." I assume that is a question and you are on strike. Somehow I doubt it. The term 'knobstick' comes to mind.Strikebreaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because there was a strike vote and it was put into the hands of the mighty Teamsters. Well here you go. It has been served up on a silver platter. Quit whining, put your home for sale or on the foreclosure market, buckup and admit you screwed up.
By chance you know that there is a process called a vote the the majority rule. Who is whining?

Remember when you point a finger you have 3 pointing back at you.
Still in the third grade?

After you have exhausted all opportunities to blame someone else, try holding yourself accountable. Have a good day.
Who has been blaming anyone other then the hard headed Dutch brothers?

Now do tell us all. Are you a member of the Teamsters? Or are you one of the spineless that have been riding on our coat tails over the years? Or perhaps a "core" member like the POS Terry G? Or a true knobstick like Bill M? Have you enjoyed the pay and the benefits of Oak but couldn't stand to pay the $55-$65 per month Teamster dues? How much are you paying now for your H&W? How is the good ol' 401k? Are the Dutch still paying into it or have they reneged on that too?

And please make plans for a one-way Day Trip.(per).

Ed, You may have wooden shoes but you still can't walk on water.

I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that it is somebody else's job to take care of me or look out for my interests. I know that nobody on this Earth but me is responsible for my failures and successes. The thing is, if I don't like the working conditions or pay or benefits at my place of employment, guess what I'm going to do?! I'm going to go find somewhere else to work!! If it is that bad at Oak Harbor, then they won't be able to keep a skilled workforce and that will negatively affect their business. If I don't like what's going on, I'm not going to lie and slander a company in an attempt to get them to bend to my will, that's just jevenile bullying. I guess we'll see where it gets you, but honestly, I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror every day. Don't worry, I know you'll never actually admit that what you're doing is wrong, but we all know it is.

I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that it is somebody else's job to take care of me or look out for my interests. I know that nobody on this Earth but me is responsible for my failures and successes. The thing is, if I don't like the working conditions or pay or benefits at my place of employment, guess what I'm going to do?! I'm going to go find somewhere else to work!! If it is that bad at Oak Harbor, then they won't be able to keep a skilled workforce and that will negatively affect their business. If I don't like what's going on, I'm not going to lie and slander a company in an attempt to get them to bend to my will, that's just jevenile bullying. I guess we'll see where it gets you, but honestly, I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror every day. Don't worry, I know you'll never actually admit that what you're doing is wrong, but we all know it is.

what part of this strike is wrong and please do point out the lies that the teamsters are making up? The only lies that I have seen posted everywhere is from ohfl stating that everythng is rosy and business is going well.

At what point do you start taking responsibility for yourself and your future?

your worse than my 4 year old- blissfully ignorant
I am taking responsibility for myself. for instance ohfl was once a well respected place of employment, it seemed everyone wanted to come here. I actually found it a decent place to work. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? they were hoping this would happen so they could try to keep it running with dare i say, "less qualified employees". I had planned on this for my future, it was pretty much a done deal until they started their needless attack on the workers. I would not have much of a future if i crossed the picket line to work for "WPAOFL truck lines(we pissed away our fathers legacy)":hysterical:So what part of standing up to the vp's don't you understand?