objective feedback

Tacomapup

TB Lurker
Credits
Looking to get back into trucking... the info about companies out there is overwhelming and most everyone seems to consider themselves to be 'a leader in the industry with competitive wages and benefits'. So I'm thinking about trying a different approach by listing what I'm looking for and maybe someone out there either knows about, or works for a company that could be a good match.

Region: Terminal or drop yard in or around Greensboro, NC
Run: Dedicated; Truckload; 4-5 days out, 2-3 days home. Northeast run okay, but no NYC, Long Island or Canada.
Miles: All driven miles paid with minimum starting pay at $0.40 per mile and yearly increase.
Equipment: Dedicated truck. Dry van, no touch freight. Decent maintained trucks/ trailers. Automatic transmission preferred. (have a bum left knee)
Trucks governed at no less than 68 mph.
Night driving okay.
Pay for drop and hook; live loads and detention pay after 3 hours waiting. Safety bonus and pay for 'clean DOT inspections)
Must have a positive pet policy. Reasonable pet deposit okay.
Allowed to smoke in truck.
Benefits: Decent medical/ prescription insurance with max of 1K yearly deductible. Vision and dental; matching 401K; option of signing up for short/ long term disability and life insurance. Waiting period for starting benefits of no more than 60 days from start of employment.
Major holidays paid and at least one week vacation after first year, as well as 2-3 PTO days.
Option for single and team driving employment.
Size of company not as important as management and dispatch providing a positive and supportive working environment that treats employees with respect and fairness.
I'm looking to get in with a sound company where I can retire in 15 or so years.

Me: Three years experience; Hazmat and tanker endorsements; clean driving record; hard working, honest, loyal and dependable. Positive attitude and good team player. Always willing to go the extra mile to get the job gone.

Hope to hear back from some members. But please don't try to sell me your company because there is a referral bonus in it for you. Keep it real. Thanks!

GREETINGS Tacomapup,

Any P.M. gladly accepted and answered.
- - - -
I would like to know of such company too however I'm not interested in driving much longer (than 8 or 10 '17) due to the pointless E-Log mandate set for next year.
I've been Driving since since early 1999, when IT WAS FUN and this industry has become what it never was.
Your mileage will vary.

Check with EPES. They have a $.10 increase for anywhere North East and for some reason Greensboro is the defining point for South and North runs, so go figure.
Their starting pay (as of last year or so) was around $.38 C.P.M.
They're based in Greensboro just above the airport on Rt. 68 and they have other Terminals too.

Other companies that may have bases here or near:
WERNER (I believe there's a yard on Elm-Eugene st., south of downtown), Schneider, Barr-Nunn, PAM, USA Truck, US XPRESS (used to be based in Lexington), SWING Transport (Lexington-I believe), EAGLE Transport-Fuel Tankers- Chimney Rock Rd., Greensboro) RUAN-Boulder Rd., Greensboro, and of course there are quite many L.T.L. companies in the Triad region.
- - - -
Company I'm at recently suggested Which of you finds another Driver and if said Driver stays past 3 months, you'll get $500.00.
Problem: there are no incentives here to attract ANY Driver apart from mileage, Per Diem pay and "you're employed" and neither of us 2 Tractor Drivers (there are 3 Tractor Drivers yet the owner doesn't drive much) know or know of anyone nor are we interested in "advertising" for a potential Driver.
Mileage pay is below $.40 C.P.M. and starts at or below $.30 C.P.M. regardless of road experience.
For us, it's simply a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) and there's a lot of micro-managing.
- - - -
I like your specifications regarding company preferences however many of them can be seen as "Old School".
Most companies do not offer additional "bonuses" for hauling Haz-Mat as these companies merely see such loads as loads or "A Load Is A Load Is A Load".

GOOD LUCK DEAR!
CHEERS!!

Hi Cerberus. Thanks so much for your in-depth and informative reply. I have some thoughts that I would like to share with you and will definitely P.M. you. Sounds like you are working for a pretty rotten place and you are among many other truckers who have had it with all of the industry regulations and companies that just don't care enough about their employees. Thanks again and I'll be in touch.

Hi Cerberus. Thanks so much for your in-depth and informative reply. I have some thoughts that I would like to share with you and will definitely P.M. you. Sounds like you are working for a pretty rotten place and you are among many other truckers who have had it with all of the industry regulations and companies that just don't care enough about their employees. Thanks again and I'll be in touch.
he ain't the only one. i think i have "about" 10 years more than him, in this industry. but for the time being, i am out of work, my thread expalins why.

it is an industry where changes are being made nearly seemingly daily. us older people do not always embrace change(s) as easily as the youngin's do.

this is why so many of us LOOK FORWARD to, retirement. this is also in many ways why we do not recommend someone to even consider becoming a truck driver. i know i try not to encourage anyone to enter.

some say it's in how you look at things, i say, the way things look, it is not good.

as i said, i have an ongoing issue with my self, my thread, "career ending operation", pretty much explains it all, for me.

the purpose of my thread, was to inform the drivers of some pitfalls that can very well happen to anyone, someday.

only the stupid say..."it'll never happen to me".......or...."that'll never happen to me".......

yeah..ok.......whatever.

I have bad news for you, Tacomapup...I like your attitude and approach and that's not a good sign. Send that resume out to all those "Get miles, get home", "competitive pay and benefits", "our drivers are our greatest asset", "big enough to serve, small enough to care", etc, etc companies and see what you get in return. Pay, benefits (LOL) and conditions suck big time in OTR anymore and they are only a tad better in LTL. Good luck and I do hope that you find a good job, if you do please share your experience.

10-2, 10-4.

ABFer has been dodging scales a wee bit longer than our pickle parked pro1driver.
Since pro1 states he's been rolling (through p*on shop parking lots and driving rattle traps) ten years longer than me, well, by that account, pro1 is a student, I'm jest a noob and ABFer is the "Walking Tall" Teacher.
CHEERS!!

I have bad news for you, Tacomapup...I like your attitude and approach and that's not a good sign. Send that resume out to all those "Get miles, get home", "competitive pay and benefits", "our drivers are our greatest asset", "big enough to serve, small enough to care", etc, etc companies and see what you get in return. Pay, benefits (LOL) and conditions suck big time in OTR anymore and they are only a tad better in LTL. Good luck and I do hope that you find a good job, if you do please share your experience.

Will do ABFer!! However, what I would consider to be good pay, would probably not even rouse you out of bed. LOL In my previous job where I worked for almost 19 years (not in trucking), my pay started at $10.20 and ended at $20.15. And that was while being paid for 40 hours, but working around 55- 60 every week. I learned a long time ago to keep my expenses down and to live 'within my means'. I have a trucking friend who has to earn close to 6K a month to just keep his family afloat and pay his personal bills. His wife also earns around 4K each month and even with around 7.5K take home... they are barely scraping by. They are perpetually stressed, in constant bad moods and at each other's throats about virtually everything. I cannot imagine having to live like that. Nah..., I think I'll keep my positive and upbeat attitude in life.

he ain't the only one. i think i have "about" 10 years more than him, in this industry. but for the time being, i am out of work, my thread expalins why.

it is an industry where changes are being made nearly seemingly daily. us older people do not always embrace change(s) as easily as the youngin's do.

this is why so many of us LOOK FORWARD to, retirement. this is also in many ways why we do not recommend someone to even consider becoming a truck driver. i know i try not to encourage anyone to enter.

some say it's in how you look at things, i say, the way things look, it is not good.

as i said, i have an ongoing issue with my self, my thread, "career ending operation", pretty much explains it all, for me.

the purpose of my thread, was to inform the drivers of some pitfalls that can very well happen to anyone, someday.

only the stupid say..."it'll never happen to me".......or...."that'll never happen to me".......

yeah..ok.......whatever.

Hi Pro1Driver: I've spent a good amount of time this morning reading up on your thread of 'career ending operation' and wow... what an absolute nightmare. I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your chronic pain and suffering and do hope that you can take a little comfort from the knowledge that people on here are pulling for you and are with you in thoughts and spirit. Sounds to me like 'Dockworker' has been a great friend to you, which is a blessing.
You are absolutely right that what happened to you, can happen to anyone and with your permission..., I would like to add something to your content of 'pitfalls' as far as back injuries are concerned:
I think that the very nature of trucking puts drivers at much greater risk for back injuries because of the overall sedentary life style. Spending all of those hours behind the wheel kills the strength of our back muscles, leaving the spine much more vulnerable to injury. Considering that it only takes about three days of relative inactivity before muscles start losing strength, it is easy to understand how bad trucking can be for our health. In addition, many men have long torsos which also increases the risk of back injuries. And then there are of course all of the other pitfalls, like the difficulty to find nutritious food/ snacks/ meals on the road, chronic stress and even more chronic loneliness which all too often lead to overeating and weight gain; which then strains the already weakened back muscles... and the cycle just continues. There is so little education out there for how truckers can maintain a healthier life style and most companies don't even offer health screenings or any type of support in this area.

What struck me in particular when I read your story is that so far, you have only chronicled your physical/ medical endeavor. I not only firmly believe that there are vital additional treatment options available to you to lessen your physical pain, but what about your psychological/ emotional healing and well-being? If you are interested, please PM me because I might be able to help you explore your options a little further. Please hang in there!!

@Tacomapup on the emotional side, if the frigging insurance company would just stay on track and pay me each week, that would be good. it has now been 2 full weeks with out those checks. the lawyer makes calls, and the judge supposedly lowered the boom on the insurance company, but they seemingly persist in trying to aggravating me.

but, as i had said in another posting, as a former long haul driver, i can go the distance, right into retirement.

physiologically speaking, it has become a game, to the insurance company, and i will eventually win. i have proof of injury, i have a paper trail, i have an independent court ordered doctor that backs up the latest findings on my injury. the judge hates the insurance company. so far, i got more on my side than they thought i did, and they know it. but they wish to continue the harassment (of with holding my money and various medical procedures), to see if i will cave in...

again, i was a former LONG HAUL trucker, not some piddly OTR driver as the new breed has it easier than we did back in the day....i stayed out MONTHS at a time, putting up with all sorts of crap, not crying that i can't be home home weekly like the new breed does.... i am hardened.

i went the distance back then, i can go the distance now, and i don't believe they thought i'd be doing so. i think they HATE ME, well GOOD, dammit.

they thought i'd "sell out" and be done with them....

uh...haa......not me.......

not by a long shot.

@Tacomapup on the emotional side, if the frigging insurance company would just stay on track and pay me each week, that would be good. it has now been 2 full weeks with out those checks. the lawyer makes calls, and the judge supposedly lowered the boom on the insurance company, but they seemingly persist in trying to aggravating me.

but, as i had said in another posting, as a former long haul driver, i can go the distance, right into retirement.

physiologically speaking, it has become a game, to the insurance company, and i will eventually win. i have proof of injury, i have a paper trail, i have an independent court ordered doctor that backs up the latest findings on my injury. the judge hates the insurance company. so far, i got more on my side than they thought i did, and they know it. but they wish to continue the harassment (of with holding my money and various medical procedures), to see if i will cave in...

again, i was a former LONG HAUL trucker, not some piddly OTR driver as the new breed has it easier than we did back in the day....i stayed out MONTHS at a time, putting up with all sorts of crap, not crying that i can't be home home weekly like the new breed does.... i am hardened.

i went the distance back then, i can go the distance now, and i don't believe they thought i'd be doing so. i think they HATE ME, well GOOD, dammit.

they thought i'd "sell out" and be done with them....

uh...haa......not me.......

not by a long shot.

I have no doubt that you will come out on top and win in the end. If I can, I'll be part of the cheering squad!!! But why fight alone when you don't have to? Why not take a leap of faith and trust someone?

10-2, 10-4.

ABFer has been dodging scales a wee bit longer than our pickle parked pro1driver.
Since pro1 states he's been rolling (through p*on shop parking lots and driving rattle traps) ten years longer than me, well, by that account, pro1 is a student, I'm jest a noob and ABFer is the "Walking Tall" Teacher.
CHEERS!!

Say what??? Sorry but I don't speak 'long term hardened trucker' language yet. LOL

10-2, message clear. 10-4, message received. 10-20 is your location, 10-36 is asking for time of day/night, 10-100 is a toilet break. Then there are Police Codes as well Ambulance, Military, etc.

"pickle park" is another tern for Rest Area.

"dodging scales" means/suggests what it means/suggests. Some "Old School" Drivers have claimed they hadn't rolled a pad (scale) for years as "dodging" was easier especially when their rigs with loads were tipping 90,000 to 120,000+.

"rattle traps" equals worn out Large Cars.

"Large Cars", Petes, K-Whoppers (Kenworth), Cornbinders (International) and there's a nice guy here at TB named Cornbinder and his Good Buddy is named GroceryThrower (GT), Autocar.

"Good Buddy" started in the 80's with Jerry Reed, Burt Reynolds and Sally Field (favorite Flying Nun), while nowadays it references something else. Ask pro1driver.:)

"noob" is newbie.

"Walking Tall", the original with Jo Don Baker, not those weird other parts.

Hope something here helps your edumacashun.
CHEERS!!

10-2, message clear. 10-4, message received. 10-20 is your location, 10-36 is asking for time of day/night, 10-100 is a toilet break. Then there are Police Codes as well Ambulance, Military, etc.

"dodging scales" means/suggests what it means/suggests. Some "Old School" Drivers have claimed they hadn't rolled a pad (scale) for years as "dodging" was easier especially when their rigs with loads were tipping 90,000 to 120,000+.

"Large Cars", Petes, K-Whoppers (Kenworth), Cornbinders (International) and there's a nice guy here at TB named Cornbinder and his Good Buddy is named GroceryThrower (GT), Autocar.

"Good Buddy" started in the 80's with Jerry Reed, Burt Reynolds and Sally Field (favorite Flying Nun), while nowadays it references something else. Ask pro1driver.:)

"noob" is newbie.

CHEERS!!
i like it so much they way you include me in your posts, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"noob" is newbie.

CHEERS!!

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write all of this down. I'm impressed and there definitely was not a lack of creativity when this 'language' was created. Let's see if I can interpret the word - edumacshun. Okay.. here it goes... "I'm not even going to charge you for providing you with this tidbit of masculine infused education, Honey." Did I come close??? Huh, did I? Lol

You crack me up!!!:15:

Here are some other "terms of endearment" in trucking (not sure how these fit in this thread):

1. Bloomers--what, probably, our Grandmothers (and maybe some Grandfathers) wore under their attire and/or to bed.
  2. Frumunder--rather identifies itself. Akin to Toe Tam or Jelly.
  3. Monkeybutt--Truckers' bum from sitting too long usually hot weather related. There's Monkeybutt Powder for men (blue) and women (pink) at your local truckee stop.
  4. Truckee--Australian/New Zealand term for Trucker.
  5. Squat--stores do not usually have squat and if you locate a 10-20 with squat, please sometime for some reason alert someone somewhere.
  6. Whoop Ace--cans of. Goes along with Squat.
  7. Muffler Bearings--Color depends upon available location and vehicle application. Not all Bearings fit all vehicles. See Safety for further information and calibration requirements.
  8. Jake Brake Shoes--see above.
  9. Jake Brake Fluid--becoming difficult to allocate especially in the South.
  10. Dispatcher Brains--No Load rolling. Also commonly known as Sailboat Fuel to us "old timers".
  11. Hooker--Tow Truck.
  12. Lot Lizard--Commercial company.
  13. Shower coupons--when Trucking was Trucking. One usually had a ample supply.
  14. Riding the Donkey--Rolling very close to the vehicle in front.
  15. For further information, when/where applicable, check out the song CONVOY by C. W. McCall.
  16. :emoticon digging:

Last edited: