ODFL | OD and a Mountaineer

WV Mountaineer

TB Lurker
Credits
I went yesterday and filled out all the paper work at the Charleston Terminal, and interviewed with the terminal manager. When we finished he asked me if I had time to go take a drug screen, I did. After I finished I dropped off a form to him he asked me to return, it showed what time I got to the drug screen and when I left the facility. After this he asked me to get a certified copy of my MVR, bring it with me, and come at 8:30am today to take a road test.

I met with the tester and out we went, I raked a few gears:duh: (I was taught on a super 10) but all in all he said I did a real good job, and the shifting would get better as I drive the regular 10 speed more.

When we returned and the tester spoke with the terminal manager, the terminal manager said he would be in contact as soon as all my paperwork was approved by management.

The terminal manager said I would haft to take 20 trips (4 weeks) with a linhaul driver, then another road test before I could go on my own.

Everything has went smooth so far, I hope and pray that I soon can call myself an OD Driver:Pick-Me:

Congratulations, Ive been to the CRW a few times when I covered a meet and turn out of Cleveland. Remember there is always weekend work if you want it, good luck

4 weeks in linehaul training. That must be new. The last guy we had rode for a week. It will be over soon enough. There is always an oppertunity to make good money at OD.

WV Mountaineer said:
I met with the tester and out we went, I raked a few gears:duh: (I was taught on a super 10) but all in all he said I did a real good job, and the shifting would get better as I drive the regular 10 speed more.
I wouldn't worry about it. I have given a lot of road test and everyone rakes a few gears.:rolleyes:

I got a call from the terminal manager yesterday, he told me to come in today he needs to take a picture of me!

I'm not sure what that is about I hope that doesn't scare them away, I'm not the prettiest mountaineer you have ever seen!:frog:

WV Mountaineer said:
I got a call from the terminal manager yesterday, he told me to come in today he needs to take a picture of me!

I'm not sure what that is about I hope that doesn't scare them away, I'm not the prettiest mountaineer you have ever seen!:frog:

yeah they did that for me too when i did the interview, i thought it was part of the federal motor carrier background check or sumthin.

Got my picture made friday, the terminal manager said as you guys told me, it was for my ID badge. He did tell me he had verified my work history with my past employer, the MVR I gave them was excellent, and I had passed my road test. He said it could take up to 2 weeks to get everything finalized, so now I sit and wait.

I did talk with one of the P&D guys while I was at the terminal and he told me they are moving the terminal July 1 down the road to a bigger terminal.

WV

:bgroovy: I got the call yesterday, I'm hired !
The Charleston Terminal manager called me yesterday, and gave me the good news. I haft to be at the terminal next friday to get started. Thank you guys for all the support, I can't wait to get started!:woohoo1:

WV Mountaineer said:
:bgroovy: I got the call yesterday, I'm hired !
The Charleston Terminal manager called me yesterday, and gave me the good news. I haft to be at the terminal next friday to get started. Thank you guys for all the support, I can't wait to get started!:woohoo1:

u startin the 26th me too man congrats, make sure u keep us updated on your training as i will too good luck and be safe.

Tuesday is my first day out, I am with a trainer for three weeks, his run is from WV to TN mon-fri. we leave out at 8:30 pm each day.Then I am to go with a local driver for a week. I am really looking forward to this, and hope that all goes well.

WV

Just a little update, first let me say thank you for the welcomes and congrats! I've been working for a week today, I drive with my trainer from the Charleston terminal to White Pines TN. and return we leave out every night mon-fri around 8:30 pm.

The biggest problem I have faced is my downshifting, I still grind a little when going up a hill and when slowing for a stop. I hope to get better soon. And yes they are moving the Charleston terminal to a bigger facility down in Dunbar, they say 8/1.

Everyone have a good week.

WV

WV Mountaineer said:
Just a little update, first let me say thank you for the welcomes and congrats! I've been working for a week today, I drive with my trainer from the Charleston terminal to White Pines TN. and return we leave out every night mon-fri around 8:30 pm.

The biggest problem I have faced is my downshifting, I still grind a little when going up a hill and when slowing for a stop. I hope to get better soon. And yes they are moving the Charleston terminal to a bigger facility down in Dunbar, they say 8/1.

Everyone have a good week.

WV

Don't worry about a little gear grinding WV. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck

Im glad you like it. Dont worry about shifting, it will come with practice. We have guys with years of experience who jam that thing into first gear every morning in the yard. I say why dont you wait til the clutch brake kicks in and then put it in gear and they just look at me like I dont know what Im talking about. Practice shifting and take pride in it, and also practice backing. Nothing more embarrasing then seeing a truck from every trucking company waiting to get in a dock and the guy backing in grinds the gears and take 20 minute to get it in the door. Practice in the yard if you need to. GOOD LUCK:smilie_132:

kbigdog said:
We have guys with years of experience who jam that thing into first gear every morning in the yard. I say why dont you wait til the clutch brake kicks in and then put it in gear and they just look at me like I dont know what Im talking about.

Pushing the clutch in before you fire it up helps here, at least with my truck.

But, some guys just insist on being hard on equipment.:duh: