ODFL | Od laying off nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely played! You can't fix stupid..... The fine for blocking a highway by running chain control in Oregon can exceed $2000.00. And then there is the cost of reupholstering the seat cushion... Going uphill it is simply the smell, going downhill it is fixing the chunks that you pull out of it as you start your slalom run...It's a long way from US 97 to Oakridge. Kinda reminds me of the song "The Wreck of ol' 97." I am impressed you took that bid. I smoked a lot of brakes on that pass back in the 70's before we got engine brakes. Who did you work for?

He didn’t block any traffic, he was trying to make it up and over without chains. So he was trying to throw iron with his tractor nosed into the snow bank. You should’ve of seen him, jumping up and down, waving his arms and yelling at me as I drove by fully chained. My thought was obviously you know more than I do, so reach into your brain and figure out how to get yourself going again. Just cause the sunshine is out doesn’t mean the 7 inches of snow from the night before isn’t going to magically go away. With snowpack under the fresh snow. I drove for OD. Just turned my stuff in and I am enjoying the easy life. I had 18 years there.

There was another new, and I mean new driver that covered a extra run on the Klamath Falls. I wasn’t able to to call him and let him know about the “S” curve just a few miles east of Oakridge. It’s always in the shade and it can be 45 degrees and that thing is still black ice. ODOT doesn’t sand it much either. He racked them up. The tractor went over the bank and into the river. Fuel tanks busted and you know the rest.
He was okay. I really felt bad for him. He fought and kept his job. A couple of us wrote in explaining the situation with that area and the black ice.
I tried to get with management and have each new driver ride with me to learn how to chain, learn how to drive on black ice and learn how to go up and down the pass. They didn’t go for it. They’d send newbies on the run that have never thrown iron.

What I enjoyed about that run, it was Old School trucking. Saia, Oak Harbor, on 97 FedEx freight, the tankers, the hay haulers, we all communicated with each other on the CB. The gypo’s, and the Abi Dabi’s were no longer running 58 when snow started falling.
Their feet get frostbit in the snow with their flip flops. :17142:

COL driver was P&D and got fired for different reasons not laid off, linehaul didn't lay off any drivers (yet) and dock lost 4 including a poor guy that just transferred there 3 days before
One terminal out this way driver let himself go a few weeks earlier which helps management out when the company wanting to kick a few to the curb..,,

Sorry about the layoffs but that has always been a part of LTL. Always remember the terms "Team & Family" are only used by Mgmt. not employees and the true meaning of those terms don't apply when they call you those. Do what is best for you & yours first. Best of luck to all.

Ok Mr. Insider I’ll be back on 12/1/22 at 00:00
Actually the furlough starts on 12/4/22. Have to be submitted by 11/28/22 if you want to volunteer. I'm not a insider. I work at the POS FXF... FXF has been doing alot of underhanded crap for decades to its employees here.

I use to think OD was the shining star off in the distance, but by reading the posts on here it looks as if that star is fading.

Estes did the layoff thing back in 08-09. Not really layoffs but reduction in force (RIF) "terminated" Basically jumped on the bandwagon of what everyone else was doing.
When the economy picked up we were short on drivers. They couldn't get drivers hired back fast enough. It created a mess. Lost customers, lack of trucks etc. We just rotate days off nowadays when things slow down.
Rich drivers stay home and let the money hungry ones work. That's the way we've been doing it. Most of us don't mind giving up some days off. I know of a couple that'll stay home all winter

Actually the furlough starts on 12/4/22. Have to be submitted by 11/28/22 if you want to volunteer. I'm not a insider. I work at the POS FXF... FXF has been doing alot of underhanded crap for decades to its employees here.

I use to think OD was the shining star off in the distance, but by reading the posts on here it looks as if that star is fading.
The obvious question.... Why are you still here????

The obvious question.... Why are you still here????
Good question. For the early part of my career I worked for AF. Best yrs here. Then FDX took over. Things didn't get terrible to 08, but who's gonna jump ship then.

Honestly I didn't think I could do any better. I was hopeful in 14, but here we are again.

My resume is out there. Not gonna do anything to put hardship on my family. If I find something close to or better I'm out. Probably be when economy gets better. If it gets better.

Those cuts was deep driver
maybe. Only thing I know, for a fact, is everyone had under 1 year with the company. A friend of mine that teams to SLC lost his co-driver 6 months ago(he was just tired of driving), and finally got a new team mate. My friend has over 30 years driving experience, and his team mate was new, like, VERY NEW(only 4 months). He was training him right, however, they let him go. Now my friend will probably not be doing team anymore as everyone else didn't lose their team mate OR don't want that run and will run something else. Hate to hear it for my friend and his ex-codriver. However, I DID tell my friend he needs to get with someone whose kids are out of the house(like his 1) and wife doesn't care about them being gone. He likes to stay out for WEEKS at a time and go home for 1 maybe 2 days. Really NOT alot of guys that want to do that. I know I don't. Promised my wife, long ago I wouldn't be one of these drivers that are gone for MONTHS AND MONTHS at a time. Back when I was OTR most I could stay out was 3 weeks, and that was enough for me. TO each their own.

Good question. For the early part of my career I worked for AF. Best yrs here. Then FDX took over. Things didn't get terrible to 08, but who's gonna jump ship then.

Honestly I didn't think I could do any better. I was hopeful in 14, but here we are again.

My resume is out there. Not gonna do anything to put hardship on my family. If I find something close to or better I'm out. Probably be when economy gets better. If it gets better.
The problem is that there are no better freight lines to work for.
Union guys have great medical and offer a pension you may or may not get later on.
On the other hand they pay a lot less money wise.
Several here only offer overtime after 50 or 55 hours.
None of the nons have great insurance.
FXF does pay better than most and they do offer overtime after 8.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next nest thing.

The problem is that there are no better freight lines to work for.
Union guys have great medical and offer a pension you may or may not get later on.
On the other hand they pay a lot less money wise.
Several here only offer overtime after 50 or 55 hours.
None of the nons have great insurance.
FXF does pay better than most and they do offer overtime after 8.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next nest thing.
Not interested in LTL anyone. Not looking to make massive money. Just get by with a little extra, and not be micro managed anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.