ODFL | OD Questions..again.

Arky

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello again everyone!

Well, some of you may remember me from about a year ago. I was trying to get on with OD, but with limited results having no expereince. I could probably have went to work Memphis as a dock worker and then made my way to the company training for road driver. I opted to go ahead and get some experience on my own and then try again. I'll soon have a year's worth of safe driving under my belt at Maverick pulling flatbeds (I realize that is actually very little experience, but as I understand it, it's enough to get hired). I may be trying once again to get hooked up with OD in the near future. I would more than likely try to get on at the Memphis term. or L.R.

I do have a few questions for you guys though.

I'm wandering what kind of schedule you guys have to keep. It seems that the freight would have to be at the dock by a certain time each morning in order to get processed and sent out on the P&D trucks for the day. I see a lot of runs at Maverick where I have to run say 600 miles in 12 hours. That's not much time for breaks or lunch or anything basicly. Do you guys ever feel pushed for time?

What happens if they fail to get your loads ready on schedule. Do you still need to get your turn done by a certain time?

I'm also wondering about the hotels. Do you generally take your tractor to the hotel or wait for a courtesy van? I spent a few days in Houston waiting for a truck repair and the courtesy van at the motel always had several LTL guys in it. It seemed that they spent quite a bit of their off duty time waiting for the van at one end or the other.

I guess my last question for now would be about chains in the winter. Are you required to run them if needed? Are you allowed to shut down if you feel the roads are no longer safe?

I have to say that although I never needed to use it, I do like Maverick's position on slick roads. If the driver is uncomfortable with the roads, he shuts down...no questions asked...and if he is questioned, someone gets a fired (so we were told in orientation). I can't imagine that LTL freight is going to be able to sit and wait, but I also don't want to drive once I'm not confortable with road conditions.

I've got a lot of thinking to do about this. I'm really enjoying the OTR driving. I know there is no doubt that the LTL jobs are a much better career choice, but it's going to be a tougher decision than I thought. I enjoy the irregular route work. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing different parts of the country and still have places i would like to see.

Thanks guys!

Arky

Welcome back Arky.Hang around or check back later, with all the drivers posting here it won't take long to get the answers to your questions.

I have a dedicated run so I can't help you with the chain issue. I can say that if Central decides the weather is to bad I have been told to stay home. As far as drivers already on the road I don't know. Drivers taking their 10 hour break at my terminal drive the truck to a motel just a couple miles away. The best advice I can give you about your current situation is this. If you're happy where you are, stay there. If you later change your mind there will always be LTL companies out there looking for good drivers. Money isn't the only issue to leave or go to a new job. OD as a company is pretty good but if you're not happy you will only be down on yourself for leaving a good thing.

Info

All scheduled runs have departure times and arrival times. Sometimes you leave on time and some times you don't. As far as running wild, when you are dispatched you will be given a trip sheet. It will give you a minimum and a maximum time to complete your run. You do drive your tractor to the hotel . Not sure on the chains, but Central will take care of you if the roads are dangerous.:butt kiss:

Wild Drivers run through out the country from terminal to terminal, you stay in hotels at the end of your run, you take your truck to the hotel with you.. As far as chains, if the chain law is out, you are required to chain. If you deem the road unsafe to drive due to high winds, icy roads, snow covered roads. Let OD Central know, they will take care of you.

You've got a lot of good questions.

Yes linehaul freight has to get to the delivering terminal early which is why most linehaul runs are at night after P&D has picked up the freight and the dock has loaded it on trailers. There are some runs that are ridiculously long and actually only possible with the correct tailwind on a full moon. Yes many times long runs are very pushed for time, especially if there is a delay at a terminal or with a meet driver. Yes terminals do make you wait both at the starting terminal and the one you're turning at. This is where the 14 hr. rule works for drivers that want it to work. If the load is late it's not your fault, times are based on when you pass the gate which has an electric reader.
Motels generally you take the tractor but some terminals will give you a ride or call the courtesy van. This is also a sign that they are going to use the tractor while you sleep which is done at some terminals especially in PA.
Team trucks all have chains, most daycabs don't. The weather thing is up to the driver like you have been told, but if you think drivers whine try telling dispatch you're wanting to shut down. Just don't let them drive your truck for you or make you make a bad decision.
Depending on the terminal you will most likely be on the extra board when you get hired as seniority is everything in LTL. This means you will get plenty of irregularity! You will either fill in for drivers that are off of their scheduled runs or you will run "wild" in the system. Wild will take you anywhere and everywhere especially until you learn the terminals and where you want to go and also where you want to end up, all having to do with where the freight is and how long you want to run.

Arky,
I"m glad you asked those questions, have an interview tommarrow (july 17) in Carlisle, Pa and this website has been great for information on OLDF just great info to use during my interview!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm on the road at the moment (flyingJ wifi) and it's bedtime. I'll be back later in the week or this weekend...probably with some more questions! LOL.

Thanks again for the help!

Arky

Arky,
I"m glad you asked those questions, have an interview tommarrow (july 17) in Carlisle, Pa and this website has been great for information on OLDF just great info to use during my interview!

Welcome to the ODFL forum fpherr,I hope everything works out.