ODFL | off duty

Linehaul drivers better get behind the idea also as you notice piece pay is coming under criticism especially in states like California. Soon you'll be hourly before ya know it also the way this country is going in the *hitter.
I've been on that bandwagon since the beginning. Took some grief for it too. But I'm a firm believer in keeping employees happy. Most guys will bend over backwards for their employer if they feel appreciated. FedEx's problems where never about money, it was the treatment of the employees by upper management that caused the rift.

OD is becoming a leader in the ltl sector and the last thing they can afford to do is go the way of FedEx and Conway. Take care of your employees and they'll take care of you. A "thank you" and "good job" go along way but it doesn't put food on the table. I respect @dough boy opinion and the fact he has 30 years in. But making $25.00 today isn't like the starting money he made back in the day.

The $27 mil would add about 1 point on the OR. But that's not quantifying the money saved from hiring less drivers and not paying benefits for them.

Again...all rough estimates -- I am purely guessing here
Equipment also... More drivers means more trucks.

I would just argue drivers never being satisfied may bring on heavy handed management. They may look at it as we have given you a everything you wanted and your still not happy so they start the nit picking and new policies to make sure they are getting everything they can out of you. Just my opinion.

What brought it about at Con-way was a departure from their core values and operational culture to being run by folks who know nothing about freight, only care about numbers and justifying their own jobs, and making front line management miserable. In turn, ::shit:: rolled downhill.

Uh you should check the law before you call somebody names, truck drivers, mechanics and loader are exempt from overtime........dumbass

Drivers that work for companies that operate inter state do not have to be paid OT. That's why line gets flat rate. No exception for city, company is the exemption, smart ass.

I've been on that bandwagon since the beginning. Took some grief for it too. But I'm a firm believer in keeping employees happy. Most guys will bend over backwards for their employer if they feel appreciated. FedEx's problems where never about money, it was the treatment of the employees by upper management that caused the rift.

OD is becoming a leader in the ltl sector and the last thing they can afford to do is go the way of FedEx and Conway. Take care of your employees and they'll take care of you. A "thank you" and "good job" go along way but it doesn't put food on the table. I respect @dough boy opinion and the fact he has 30 years in. But making $25.00 today isn't like the starting money he made back in the day.

You right ump, they need to get with the times. But since a lot of our new help came off of welfare and the govt helped to get their license you won't see them thinking about the big picture like us.

Instead you look at OD's fb and drivers from Marriedmysister, TN are praising the company for giving them a OD kid tshirt upon having their 8th child.

I truly believe we skip talented drivers for cdl mill idiots these days to limit thinking like mine and ump's.

You right ump, they need to get with the times. But since a lot of our new help came off of welfare and the govt helped to get their license you won't see them thinking about the big picture like us.

Instead you look at OD's fb and drivers from Marriedmysister, TN are praising the company for giving them a OD kid tshirt upon having their 8th child.

I truly believe we skip talented drivers for cdl mill idiots these days to limit thinking like mine and ump's.

I sincerely hope you aren't right... But with corporations nowadays I wouldn't put anything past them.

Reactions: Ump
If it is an interstate shipment it applies
Employers' interstate commerce exempts them from paying OT. Otherwise, they would be getting it. OD, along with other non Union carriers, would otherwise be forced to pay OT. City drivers can't just sign a waiver to be paid straight time. And if there's a no 30 waiver for line, I'm the first mf'er on the dotted.

Employers' interstate commerce exempts them from paying OT. Otherwise, they would be getting it. OD, along with other non Union carriers, would otherwise be forced to pay OT. City drivers can't just sign a waiver to be paid straight time. And if there's a no 30 waiver for line, I'm the first mf'er on the dotted.

True dat, the 30 minute break for line drivers is the dumbest thing ever. Hey, this guy that's been up all day and is now driving all night, let's extend his day by another 30 minutes! I'm sure he'll love that!

I sincerely hope you aren't right... But with corporations nowadays I wouldn't put anything past them.

It's the track record here, that Stryker guy will say I'm full of it. We hire a few line drivers with experience like his but all of the city and dock have no problem admitting the govt kicked them off of some program so they had to get a cdl.

They'll also brag about the drugs they use to do a few years before getting their cdl and how they wish they could still do them right outside the office or on their fb's.

That's what I said,and line doesn't get paid flat rate, they get piece rate.

We got this meathead calls himself porkchop and goes out and graffiti's other people's property on his spare time. Wonder what holds him back from our trailers being tagged?
This is the new face of od. He's not going to question management when it took him 4 tries to get his cdl from OD's dock program.

Just to clarify I haven't had 30 years in, I'm not sure if that's a typo or maybe I sound old but only 15 years in the trucking biz and you might he surprised I'm not that old. Also I respect all of your opinions and the fact you want more. Just think we disagree on the how to get more part.

I also agree that drivers should be paid for OT. We can thank the trucking lobbyist and the Feds for changing OT laws back in the 70s
Any motor carrier with at least one truck operating interstate is not required to pay OT. If you are an intrastate only carrier you are required to pay time and half.

Just to clarify I haven't had 30 years in, I'm not sure if that's a typo or maybe I sound old but only 15 years in the trucking biz and you might he surprised I'm not that old. Also I respect all of your opinions and the fact you want more. Just think we disagree on the how to get more part.

I also agree that drivers should be paid for OT. We can thank the trucking lobbyist and the Feds for changing OT laws back in the 70s
Any motor carrier with at least one truck operating interstate is not required to pay OT. If you are an intrastate only carrier you are required to pay time and half.
It's all good..I thought I read you had 30 years in. I'm gonna go Roger Clemens and say maybe I "miss remembered!" I know I come off as hard nosed sometimes but I just want what's best for all us guys keeping the rubber to the road. I don't care if you're line haul, p&d yard dog, or a fork lift driver you deserve the best because this job takes years off your life. And that's a fact, not an opinion. We are the life blood of this company and the main reason it flourishes, no offense FG, I feel our piece of the pie should represent that. Maybe it's my entrepreneurial spirit, but I have washed windows and scrubbed toilets, and I'll fight for every dime we can get because I think we earn it, and we are worth it.

Be safe drivers, in the end all that really matters is we make it home to our family and friends. Those of you driving I-80 & 70 in my neck of the woods, please be safe, this storm is gonna bring some big, wet flakes.

Linehaul drivers better get behind the idea also as you notice piece pay is coming under criticism especially in states like California. Soon you'll be hourly before ya know it also the way this country is going in the *hitter.

You have no idea the crap we as California drivers are going through right now with this new law in place, we no longer get paid for drops and hooks,fueling, or chaining. We get paid on duty time at the states minimum wage, 10 bucks an hour, so if it takes 30 min to break and hook, we only get 5 bucks. They did start to pay us for the breaks now, 10 min. At the vacation wage. Just found out this morning too, no more laying over out of state for any drive based out of California, thanks OD for turning what was once a great job and special place to work for into an ordinary run of the mill LTL company.

You have no idea the crap we as California drivers are going through right now with this new law in place, we no longer get paid for drops and hooks,fueling, or chaining. We get paid on duty time at the states minimum wage, 10 bucks an hour, so if it takes 30 min to break and hook, we only get 5 bucks. They did start to pay us for the breaks now, 10 min. At the vacation wage. Just found out this morning too, no more laying over out of state for any drive based out of California, thanks OD for turning what was once a great job and special place to work for into an ordinary run of the mill LTL company.
So if you run lh extraboard and you're domiciled out of Ca you get paid hourly for the whole week,even if you are out of state all week?

This is good conversation but end the name calling.Joe's bar and grill, White and everybody else.