Yellow | Off Topic Comments & Snarky Remarks Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAZ had a pinch hit double, Dwight Evans 2 run homer in the 5th
Ted Williams still on DA list
Jim Piersal still looking for second base
I remember Jimmy Piersall.
"Probably the best thing that ever happened to me was going nuts. Who ever heard of Jimmy Piersall until that happened?"

I remember Jimmy Piersall.
"Probably the best thing that ever happened to me was going nuts. Who ever heard of Jimmy Piersall until that happened?"

Jimmy was mediocre, like Dom Dimaggio, but he played in his brother's shadow.
Mud, you kids have not been around long enough to remember the real ball players.
I got to meet and spend time with Ted Williams in 1952, had he not been drafted in his prime, who knows what records he
would hold.

Jimmy was mediocre, like Dom Dimaggio, but he played in his brother's shadow.
Mud, you kids have not been around long enough to remember the real ball players.
I got to meet and spend time with Ted Williams in 1952, had he not been drafted in his prime, who knows what records he
would hold.
I've been a fan of the Detroit Tigers since the early sixties. My Dad worked for Michigan Bell as an repairman. One of his customers use to give him packets of Bazooka Bubble Gum( with the baseball cards) for his two young sons. Back then I had a huge collection of baseball cards, with all the big time players.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of the Detroit Tigers since the early sixties. My Dad worked for Michigan Bell as an repairman. One of his customers use to give him packets of Bazooka Bubble Gum( with the baseball cards) for his two young sons. Back then I had a huge collection of baseball cards, with all the big time players.

Mickey Mantle once said he would have played for nothing, just to get to play.
Ted Williams offered part of his salery back one year because he only hit 309.
Wonder how many players feel like that today?

Mickey Mantle once said he would have played for nothing, just to get to play.
Ted Williams offered part of his salery back one year because he only hit 309.
Wonder how many players feel like that today?

It was 1962 or 63. I put these in a scrapbook for Cub Scouts. No one told me to not put tape across their faces.... I have a hundred or so. Gave the book to my oldest for a Christmas Present. The Maris card is 61 in 61....
2hdrE9I.jpg

R7TRuo9.jpg

It was 1962 or 63. I put these in a scrapbook for Cub Scouts. No one told me to not put tape across their faces.... I have a hundred or so. Gave the book to my oldest for a Christmas Present. The Maris card is 61 in 61....
2hdrE9I.jpg

R7TRuo9.jpg

M&M gang, No steroids!!

All the old great players, before the million dollar contracts of today.
Well,.... in perspective- they had no choice. There was no Free Agency, prior to the Curt Flood case (72?) I remember hearing that Mantle hit 50 or so homers, instead of 56, and they cut his pay from about $125,000 to $100,000. He probably wished he was only cut 15%!!!!

Well,.... in perspective- they had no choice. There was no Free Agency, prior to the Curt Flood case (72?) I remember hearing that Mantle hit 50 or so homers, instead of 56, and they cut his pay from about $125,000 to $100,000. He probably wished he was only cut 15%!!!!

Curt Flood was the leader in free agency for all of sport. Many if not most of those that benefit(ed) from his stance are unaware. He was one of the greats and I loved watching him play.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curt_Flood

M&M gang, No steroids!!
There is a nice tribute to Roger Maris in the mall at Fargo ND. Many of his home run baseballs are displayed along with a video that you can watch on his career.
Jimmy P was one of the announcers on chicago radio station and when the White Sox won the World Series in the early 80's he brought in and discussed the last time they had done it when he was a player for the White Sox.such an accomplshment and he was discussing old newspaper clippings.

Status
Not open for further replies.