Offered a Position

jallen1978

TB Lurker
Credits
Few questions for you guys, I live in Wisconsin and was offered a job in Grand Junction, CO for a driver. I have 6 years of food service driving with Reinhart. My question is how is the driving in Western CO, lots of mountains? Is it worth relocating, I have family there. It's union, told I start at 19.57 hour then a 30 month progression to 24 something per hour. I was told to plan on 50 plus hours a week in the busy months which I want. Was told when it slowed down I would get 40 at least and if you don't get 40 you are still paid for 40 per union contract. They said to plan on making between 50-70k, does this sound right? Do they lay off much?

Thanks Guys

I wouldn't mind living out there, it beats WI, US Foods is a good company, you got a 40 hr guarantee I say go for it, ya got family out there, I think its a beautiful part of the country.

The money sounds about right, as far as layoff goes, usually no, unless you lose big accounts, you have a stake in that by providing excellent customer service, sometimes a driver makes the difference between losing and keeping an account, we have a 15 million dollar per yr account here that is on the fence, our driver is the reason they are staying.

I say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. Big choice but benefits and pay are good. My only worry was I don't have mountain driving experience but I was told its not that bad in the Western part of the state. Mountains with wiggle trailers....yikes

I work for US Foods out of Buffalo NY. pay and benefits are good. the pay sounds about on par with how expensive it will be to live out there. ALL the hours you want are here. get used to being sweaty all day, every day...

I have never heard of a long term layoff, I know at our barn, I guess there was a voluntary layoff going from the top of the seniority list down, a couple years ago, but it never got slow enough to implement the layoff's. I still got 3 long days every week throughout the winter, which is still a decent check, and now I have enough seniority that I have a bid.

If you are serious about it, go for it. US Foods is growing to fast to keep up with though, and because of that, we are slammed every day, and have a hard time hiring drivers, as everyone who walks in has a hard time sticking it out. every other driver that comes on either can't pee,cant drive, and if he can, he doesn't want to work as hard as we do.

I wouldn't mind living out there, it beats WI, US Foods is a good company, you got a 40 hr guarantee I say go for it, ya got family out there, I think its a beautiful part of the country.

The money sounds about right, as far as layoff goes, usually no, unless you lose big accounts, you have a stake in that by providing excellent customer service, sometimes a driver makes the difference between losing and keeping an account, we have a 15 million dollar per yr account here that is on the fence, our driver is the reason they are staying.

I say go for it.

US Foods is a good company? youse a pretty funny guy there, GT!!

US Foods is a good company? youse a pretty funny guy there, GT!!

Hey Bill, its as good as Sysco or better! We all get along around here, I wouldn't turn down a job with USF if I needed one. jallen needs to get over the mtn driving fear, we all had to learn at some point right? Now is his time, its not that bad, I would rather drive the CO mtns than the ones back east.

Thanks for the feedback. Big choice but benefits and pay are good. My only worry was I don't have mountain driving experience but I was told its not that bad in the Western part of the state. Mountains with wiggle trailers....yikes
You will find out pretty quick that a set, 2 trailers, handle much better in the snowpack and ice, or the mtns, with snowpack and ice, than a single trailer, don't be afeared, I would rather pull doubles any day over a single in bad weather.

Thanks for all the input, I fly to Denver Thursday to start my week of training then out to Grand Junction. Good news is there are only 10 drivers in GJ and they are going to add more so I'll have some seniority. I'll let you guys know how things go.

Thanks for all the input, I fly to Denver Thursday to start my week of training then out to Grand Junction. Good news is there are only 10 drivers in GJ and they are going to add more so I'll have some seniority. I'll let you guys know how things go.

Thats great man! I'm glad you took it, I think you will love living out there, congratulations!!

Thanks GT so far so good with the job, I trained for 9 days in Denver now I'm in Grand Junction. I can't complain it's what I'm used to but better pay. Thanks again for all your advice.

Thanks GT so far so good with the job, I trained for 9 days in Denver now I'm in Grand Junction. I can't complain it's what I'm used to but better pay. Thanks again for all your advice.

I'm just glad your doing well! Please keep us updated, we would love to have you posting more, its nice to hear different points of view!! :)