OH. Fatal Swift Semi Rollover.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Semi overturns, explodes on turnpike - 6/09/09 - Toledo News - 13abc.com

bilde

Let's see: Truckers wanted higher speed limits on the OH Turnpike. They got them. Now they reap what they sew. I'm glad it wasn't an innocent car driver this time.

Show me some evidence that Swift spoke out AGAINST raising the speed limit. If you can't, then they are as guilty as the others, regardless of what the proximate cause of this particular accident was. There aren't many accidents in which a lower speed limit would not have increased the survivability. The only reason why the trucking industry has the clout that it has is because of the failure of auto drivers to organize, or their misimpression that AAA really gives a hoot about highway safety anymore. AAA is essentially a cruise travel agency nowadays. There's more money in cruises than safety.

Show me some evidence that Swift spoke out AGAINST raising the speed limit. If you can't, then they are as guilty as the others, regardless of what the proximate cause of this particular accident was. There aren't many accidents in which a lower speed limit would not have increased the survivability. The only reason why the trucking industry has the clout that it has is because of the failure of auto drivers to organize, or their misimpression that AAA really gives a hoot about highway safety anymore. AAA is essentially a cruise travel agency nowadays. There's more money in cruises than safety.

Show me evidence that this accident was speed related.It's still under investigation.Beginning to wonder if satan is a driver.Have you ever driven across the turnpike?Just like any other highway the turnpike is filled with idiots that drive all vehicles.Auto drivers organize?What an idiot.

Quite sure he's not. His only posts are related to accidents, something drivers want to stay away from!

He's a idiot, if he would check his facts before he goes spouting off at the "pie hole" he would know that roughly 80% of accidents involving big trucks and automobiles are the fault of the automobile in which fatalities are involved. But hey don't let the "FACTS" get in the way of a good argument. You TOOL

Actually most crashes not weather related,are the fault of the individual driver that is not focusing on their driving.
Whether a inexperienced driver of a 4 wheeler,or a professional driver.
Sleepiness is next in line for the cause of a lot of trucking crashes.

If anyone should know these simple facts its me.
I was a city driver for 45 years till my retirement last year,as well as a UPS Freight safety trainer the last 2 & 1/2 years of my long career.

I've also been searching the internet,and posting crashes on this forum since April of 2006.

Believe me when I say having the negative aspect of trucking such as these crashes in the forefront of your thoughts will keep you safer than not thinking that you also could be the cause,or the victim in a trucking crash sometime in your own career.

As a safety trainer I always posted photos of crashes in my drivers room with tips on how the crash could have been avoided.

I'm sure you know the old say that in anything you have to take the good with the bad.

Well its the same case with these crash reports.
If you are aware of the bad,when your driving everything should go good for you.

However if you think your a good driver,and are not focused on what your doing for the short span of a split second everything could go horrible wrong.
And you will may be in one of these future crash reports.

There are crashes, wrecks, accidents EVERY DAY and just because Swift, JB Hunt, CR England, Werner, etc are involved DOES NOT MEAN the Drivers are at fault regardless of experience.
There ARE ALWAYS extenuating circumstances that are usually omitted from news reports that if included would help tremendously in conclusions about HOW the wreck, collision, accident, crash occurred.

ALL trucking companies have at one time or another experienced negative driving actions to tarnish their otherwise good or grand safety rating.
There is NO COMPANY that has not experienced such in some way, shape or form.

He's a idiot, if he would check his facts before he goes spouting off at the "pie hole" he would know that roughly 80% of accidents involving big trucks and automobiles are the fault of the automobile in which fatalities are involved. But hey don't let the "FACTS" get in the way of a good argument. You TOOL

[the administrator has enabled smilies, so I assume no one will object if I use them, right??!]

Read my LIPS!
I don't care about the 80-85%, because in most of those cases the guilty car driver dies. I care about the 15-20% in which the INNOCENT car driver dies. In addition, since there are many more cars than trucks on the road, and the trucks have "professional" (ha!) drivers, one should reasonably expect that these "professional" truckers would be responsbile for a much smaller % of the fatalities than 15-20%. (especially since a professional trucker who realizes he is driving a vehicle that weighs as much as twenty cars should be driving extra conservatively, right???!)

Now, you'll probably lecture me about how cars "cut off" trucks....and I'll tell you about the times trucks have cut ME off, have tailgated me, and have failed to yield when entering a highway. "Professional" drivers :redneck: should be obeying the laws, like professional airline pilots do. But since the trucking industry :greedy: is in the pocket of the legislators ::shit:: the police here don't even TRY to catch speeding trucks.

Feel free to run over a car driver who cuts you off. That driver is guilty. My concern is the INNOCENT car drivers, often at a traffic standstill, who have been crushed and incinerated by speeding/sleepy/distracted truckers.:TR10driving03:

Why don't you care about the innocent truck drivers that die trying to avoid a crash that wasn't their fault?You still haven't given me evidence on the SWIFT driver speeding?Before spouting off and assuming it was speed,get your facts right.Now go back to your CRASH meetings and tell them how EVIL trucks are .Also have you ever driven a truck.?:shift:

Why don't you care about the innocent truck drivers that die trying to avoid a crash that wasn't their fault?You still haven't given me evidence on the SWIFT driver speeding?Before spouting off and assuming it was speed,get your facts right.Now go back to your CRASH meetings and tell them how EVIL trucks are .Also have you ever driven a truck.?:shift:

Very rare when a trucker dies due to a guilty car driver. We had one of those near here a few years ago---an elderly, cancer ridden woman failed to yield entering an interchange, trucker tried to avoid, hit barrier, boom, died. Woman died of cancer later. Since then, many innocent car drivers and passengers have died in our area, no innocent truckers to the best of my knowledge.

I have driven a truck very briefly, in truck driver training school about 15 yrs ago. Didn't finish it because there were no local jobs, just long haul....didn't want to do that.

I think it's amazing that so many truckers consider themselves "professional" yet don't want to be held to a higher standard than us "amateur" car drivers.

There are some good truckers out there. But not enough of them. If there were, the trucking companies would have no need to put governors on their trucks....they could TRUST the drivers to maintain safe, efficient speeds.

Very rare when a trucker dies due to a guilty car driver. We had one of those near here a few years ago---an elderly, cancer ridden woman failed to yield entering an interchange, trucker tried to avoid, hit barrier, boom, died. Woman died of cancer later. Since then, many innocent car drivers and passengers have died in our area, no innocent truckers to the best of my knowledge.

I have driven a truck very briefly, in truck driver training school about 15 yrs ago. Didn't finish it because there were no local jobs, just long haul....didn't want to do that.

I think it's amazing that so many truckers consider themselves "professional" yet don't want to be held to a higher standard than us "amateur" car drivers.

There are some good truckers out there. But not enough of them. If there were, the trucking companies would have no need to put governors on their trucks....they could TRUST the drivers to maintain safe, efficient speeds.

So you went to school without scouting for local jobs?Then QUIT when things didn't go your way.Most of the time you have to pay your dues and run OTR and get the experience then on to a local job.This just proves your ignorance about trucking.The INSURANCE companies tell the trucking companies their rates on a governed truck.If they didn't have those on them then you would get green horns out here with NO experience driving 100 mph.

hey dumb a#$ they put the governor on to save fuel not keep us from hitting cars that get in our way while we are in the right lane maybe we need better brakes to so that we will be able to stop so the innocent four wheeler that is in the oncoming lane doesnt get hit head on by the retarded four wheeler passing us in a no passing zone on a two lane road right?

willabe2000 please take note of a wee bit of the FORUM RULES and REGULATIONS of TruckingBoards:

Conflicting opinions are expected to be expressed, and dynamic exchanges are encouraged; however, as noted above, insults and personal attacks are not permitted and will not be tolerated.

1. As a privately-owned and operated site, we reserve the right to moderate our site in whatever manner we choose for the "greater good" of the site. That means that, even if you're not technically breaking any of the listed rules, you could still be subject to being banned, moderated, or removed from the site if we choose. Obviously, we try not to take any action not supported by an actual violation of our rules listed, but sometimes someone is disruptive to the other members of our site, and when that happens, we will take action. All we ask of our members is that they act like the mature individuals we hope they are, and use common sense.

3. Do not resort to childish name calling if someone has a view you do not agree with, attack the subject of a post, not the one who posted it.

Govenors do not "maintain safe efficient speeds". They control top speeds and in come cases; due to resulting power restrictions, actually make that truck more dangerous than an ungoverned one. Are you young? You seem quite bitter for a more mature person.

I believe you quit to become the head brain surgeon at the local hospital right. You drove briefly around a parking lot and maybe some road time but have knowledge about trucking. Come off your high horse and pull your finger out of your nose. Try reading statistics, not just what you want to believe or tell yourself. Fifteen years ago you went to try and drive truck but didn't want to drive over the road. But you still paid for the school and are now resenting the fact that you COULDN'T MAKE IT. I am sure the instructor was glad you left. While you sit there and do nothing all day try and gain some knowledge. You might find out you have no IDEA what you are TALKING ABOUT.

Calm down now this Accident Forum is for the purpose of safety.
For all commercial drivers to be aware of the negative side of the trucking industry,and always focus on what they are doing while they are holding their steering wheel.

We can all agree to disagree when ever we have a different way of looking at the cause and effect of any of these tragic trucking crashes.

I do welcome any comments although we are to obey the trucking board rules of getting along with one another.
To address the contents of the post and not beat up on the poster.
Thank You,Apostolic your Accident Forum Moderator.