ODFL | Okc yard

rkw1969

TB Lurker
Credits
Anyone work out of the Okc yard? If so can you tell me how it is? I'm working oil field and looking to get into ltl and am looking for info on OD. Thanks

48 views and no replies. I'll reply for you.

Each terminal is like it's own entity, so it'd be best for someone from OKC to respond. But ...

If you don't mind working nights and want to make bank, go linehaul.
If you want drop and hooks and don't wanna deal with customers or shippers / receivers, go linehaul.
If you don't wanna wear a uniform and instead prefer to rock out comfy t-shirts with sneakers and sweats (or cotton shorts), go linehaul.
If you want a schedule, enjoy monotony and embrace boredom, go linehaul. A boring day is about as good as it gets as a driver, right?
If you want to be a bad-ass and be part of the elite, go linehaul.

But...
If you want to filth up a truck, leave it without fuel, take naps while being on the clock, make less money, and beg for respect from linehaul drivers, go P&D. Linehaulers need their minions to pick up freight from the customers anyhow - somebody's gotta do it.

Some terminals offer combo positions. But who cares about those plebians?

48 views and no replies. I'll reply for you.

Each terminal is like it's own entity, so it'd be best for someone from OKC to respond. But ...

If you don't mind working nights and want to make bank, go linehaul.
If you want drop and hooks and don't wanna deal with customers or shippers / receivers, go linehaul.
If you don't wanna wear a uniform and instead prefer to rock out comfy t-shirts with sneakers and sweats (or cotton shorts), go linehaul.
If you want a schedule, enjoy monotony and embrace boredom, go linehaul. A boring day is about as good as it gets as a driver, right?
If you want to be a bad-ass and be part of the elite, go linehaul.

But...
If you want to filth up a truck, leave it without fuel, take naps while being on the clock, make less money, and beg for respect from linehaul drivers, go P&D. Linehaulers need their minions to pick up freight from the customers anyhow - somebody's gotta do it.

Some terminals offer combo positions. But who cares about those plebians?
Really????? :17:And line drivers are one in a million and can be replaced anytime.City Driver's do your job,Work freight and Sales everyday.So think before you go there.:shakehandsnah:

Glad our fellow P&D minions picked up on the humor.

rkw1969, you basically have 3 driving positions - P&D, L/H, and combo - but the opportunities will greatly vary depending on the terminal. Some terminals actually require drivers to also do a little dock work. If you can get your foot in the door, you won't regret it. OD is the best.

P&D start times will vary depending on what options your local terminal has available. Some drivers start early morning, some start around noon. Best thing to do is get in touch with your local terminal and see what's available. Best of luck.

I'm out of the OKC yard. Been here almost 3 years. No complaints although I run team. If you apply then apply line haul. If you go P&D and your reliable it's unlikely they'll want to move you. We don't have alot of dedicated runs. If your hired line haul you'd be a bag driver or extra board. Show up, do your job, don't screw off or around and it's a great place to work. Roy (the TM) & Shawn (supervisor) are some of the coolest people I've ever worked for.

Thanks LifOfDenial, appreciate the info. P&D is what I'm really interested in due to a daytime schedule. I spoke with Roy and Shawn a few days back and left my info. been on rotating schedules for a long time and want to get out of oil field work.

I've been reading the boards and others and I'm not finding very many posts where some one has a problem with OD. The few I've found sound like they are the problem.

Can't please everyone! It's a great place to work. P&D probably has the hardest time since they have to deal with customer BS, but even alot of those drivers enjoy it.

If you want to excel don't sit in a corner and quietly bitch. Volunteer, get noticed, be an asset instead of a burden.