ODFL | Old Dominion Pay Increase is here!

My meet driver refuses to get off the interstate to avoid an accident unless he's forced off by the police. He told me he's afraid of getting lost.
I doubt many on TB have seen the harsh conditions we had in 55 when I started.
With today's traffic alone, I have to give the newer guys credit, they certainly don't have a gravy train, even with their advanced technology

driver don’t you ever worry,, billy here never gets the privilege to drive them high speed trucks,, mine only running 65 but you see me doin 60 in wa to obey all limits and give Od a good reputation they deserve,,,

S
Fly By said if you don't turn up his zero, he may seek PT work elsewhere.
He says BRG passed him.

It comes out to $33.60 to drop and hook and $3.60 to fuel at the new rate. Takes 10 minutes or less to fuel.

my run pays 616 miles per day. At $0.7358 CPM and the new rate I make $478 per day. More if I via through FWT or ABI.
What's the starting CPM for new driver for DAL?
$0.70 in SLC

I'm afraid I would learn to say (Do you want fries with that?)
My run was only 782 miles, with an 8 hr break in between.
I'll never understand why road drivers (mileage pay) want to work more than 8 hours per shift when they effectively work cheap after the 8th hour since they don't get 1-1/2 times the rate after 8 like hourly workers do. I've tried to explain this to guys over the years and usually get blank stares when I do.

I'll never understand why road drivers (mileage pay) want to work more than 8 hours per shift when they effectively work cheap after the 8th hour since they don't get 1-1/2 times the rate after 8 like hourly workers do. I've tried to explain this to guys over the years and usually get blank stares when I do.
120 + k is a pretty good reason. It comes out to well over $50 per hour. Plus I'm not driving a 62 mph. 250 hp slug either.

Last edited:
I did my 48 hrs each week.
We had only 1 run with fewer hrs, a Charl to Raleigh turn which was 6.5 hrs.
5 trips and a 6th option, I ran that awhile until mama said if I didn't work a little more we were going to be broke soon.

Fyi OD does not pay overtime after 8hrs. They just started paying overtime after 50hrs.

Fyi OD does not pay overtime after 8hrs. They just started paying overtime after 50hrs.
Thank you, I totally understand that. I just tried to show that in general, road drivers who want longer and longer runs are actually working cheaper in a sense after working 8 hours since in most places where people are paid hourly they get paid premium pay (overtime, 1-1/2 times regular rate, etc) after 8 hours whereas road drivers getting paid mileage are not.

Thank you, I totally understand that. I just tried to show that in general, road drivers who want longer and longer runs are actually working cheaper in a sense after working 8 hours since in most places where people are paid hourly they get paid premium pay (overtime, 1-1/2 times regular rate, etc) after 8 hours whereas road drivers getting paid mileage are not.
The more miles a driver runs, the less it costs per mile. Benefits are fixed costs that are the same for 2000 miles a week or 3000 miles. More miles, lower cost per mile. It's always been that way.

The more miles a driver runs, the less it costs per mile. Benefits are fixed costs that are the same for 2000 miles a week or 3000 miles. More miles, lower cost per mile. It's always been that way.
Of course, I understand that, but I'm not talking about the benefit to the employer, I'm showing how the road (mileage) driver is working for less pay per hour relative to the hourly worker getting overtime after 8. UPS Parcel feeder (road) drivers who get paid hourly of course get the benefit of longer runs because they get premium pay after 8.

Of course, I understand that, but I'm not talking about the benefit to the employer, I'm showing how the road (mileage) driver is working for less pay per hour relative to the hourly worker getting overtime after 8. UPS Parcel feeder (road) drivers who get paid hourly of course get the benefit of longer runs because they get premium pay after 8.
Triplex, while it is obvious what you were saying, as usual his response is always about the employers benefit....he breathes, sleeps, and eats thinking about benefits for the employer only...

That’s gravy all flat land, no chaining, turned up truck,,
Are you telling me, drivers actually chain their trucks?
The shop chained ours, or if you were caught on the road, they send a vendor.
They wanted their drivers to not be inconvenienced.

At my place, everyone wants long runs because if you take short one, OD will throw you around small terminals and you end up doing 12hrs day anyway.