ODFL | Old Dominion Pay Increase is here!

Of course, I understand that, but I'm not talking about the benefit to the employer, I'm showing how the road (mileage) driver is working for less pay per hour relative to the hourly worker getting overtime after 8. UPS Parcel feeder (road) drivers who get paid hourly of course get the benefit of longer runs because they get premium pay after 8.
A straight 600 mile run @ 74 cents per mile pays $444.00. Assume it takes 12 hours with pre trip and enroute checks and breaks not including lunch. City/dock works 12 hours @ $ 32.00 plus over time after 8. That's $ 448.00. Short runs that only take 8 or 10 hours put the linehaul guy way ahead on hourly rates.

Last edited:
A straight 600 mile run @ 74 cents per mile pays $444.00. Assume it takes 12 hours with pre trip and enroute checks and breaks not including lunch. City/dock works 12 hours @ $ 32.00 plus over time after 8. That's $ 448.00. Short runs that only take 8 or 10 hours put the linehaul guy way ahead on hourly rates.
12 hours on a 600 mile bid? I run 634 and it takes me 10 hours from gate to gate. If my run was 12 hours I'd bid on something else.

I have 2 years before I retire, the first 30 years of my career were spent running or working nights (that's the business I chose) If I'm going to run a daytime bid I can choose from doing the 658mi WIC-GOK-WIC turn or a 598 mi WIC-Stratford TX- WIC meet and turn. Even though the STR meet is shorter miles it actually takes longer due to mostly two lane highway and about 25 towns you have to get through. The GOK run is all rural Interstate highway and takes more than 30 minutes less to run. It's a pretty easy choice to make at bid time.

The 600 mile run would also have drop and hooks so most likely making it $460-$480. and alot of times that's less than 12 hrs (not by too much always but mostly for sure. at my location anyways). I do 612 sometimes and back in 10 hrs - 10 hrs 15 minutes gate to gate easily 90% of the time

Last edited:
The 600 mile run would also have drop and hooks so most likely making it $460-$480. and alot of times that's less than 12 hrs (not by too much always but sometimes for sure)
Not this 600mi run, its pure relay (1 hook 1 drop)

I have 2 years before I retire, the first 30 years of my career were spent running or working nights (that's the business I chose) If I'm going to run a daytime bid I can choose from doing the 658mi WIC-GOK-WIC turn or a 598 mi WIC-Stratford TX- WIC meet and turn. Even though the STR meet is shorter miles it actually takes longer due to mostly two lane highway and about 25 towns you have to get through. The GOK run is all rural Interstate highway and takes more than 30 minutes less to run. It's a pretty easy choice to make at bid time.
I did 20 yrs on the extra board, I chose a midnight departure because of traffic and I finished up around 2 or 3 AM Sat.
Never liked to run interstates, it interfered with my socializing
Did I say traffic? (I had no traffic compared to what you guys deal with today) My hat's off to you!
I still like my 2 lane roads.

I did 20 yrs on the extra board, I chose a midnight departure because of traffic and I finished up around 2 or 3 AM Sat.
Never liked to run interstates, it interfered with my socializing
Did I say traffic? (I had no traffic compared to what you guys deal with today) My hat's off to you!
I still like my 2 lane roads.
Bad thing,, in your day you having to deal with them stage coach robberies out in the desert or horse getting that heat stroke son

Are you telling me, drivers actually chain their trucks?
The shop chained ours, or if you were caught on the road, they send a vendor.
They wanted their drivers to not be inconvenienced.
Many our driver chaining up here in the pnw,, if they scared of snow like knuckle they took a pdx run and starve just bc they scared of snow

Many our driver chaining up here in the pnw,, if they scared of snow like knuckle they took a pdx run and starve just bc they scared of snow
Could be the reason they called me the Panama Hat driver.