XPO | Operating Ratio

snaildriver

Retired
Credits
The news is out. Operating ratio 100.4. Good bye Bonus (whatever they call it now), and forget getting the other 2.6% pay.

Did you forget last year???? A big improvement over 2009.
Im sure YRC and ABF would like to have these numbers :clap:

For the 2010 first quarter, Con-way Freight, the company's less-than-truckload operation, reported:

•Revenue of $725.0 million, a 26.3 percent increase over last year's first-quarter revenue of $573.8 million.
•Operating loss of $3.2 million, compared to an operating loss of $23.4 million in the year-ago period. Results were adversely affected by persistently weak LTL industry pricing, but benefited from employee-related cost-saving initiatives implemented in April 2009.
•Tonnage per day increased 34.8 percent over the previous-year first quarter.
•Yield declined 7.8 percent from the previous-year first quarter, primarily reflecting continued pressure on pricing in the competitive LTL market, and the effect of a 9.3 percent increase in weight per shipment compared to the prior year. Excluding the fuel surcharge, yield declined 11.2 percent.
•Operating ratio was 100.4 in the 2010 first quarter compared to 104.1 in the previous-year period.

[quote author=Localdriver link=topic=79873.msg827398#msg827398 date=1273105760]
Did you forget last year???? A big improvement over 2009.
Im sure YRC and ABF would like to have these numbers :clap:

For the 2010 first quarter, Con-way Freight, the company's less-than-truckload operation, reported:

•Revenue of $725.0 million, a 26.3 percent increase over last year's first-quarter revenue of $573.8 million.
•Operating loss of $3.2 million, compared to an operating loss of $23.4 million in the year-ago period. Results were adversely affected by persistently weak LTL industry pricing, but benefited from employee-related cost-saving initiatives implemented in April 2009.
•Tonnage per day increased 34.8 percent over the previous-year first quarter.
•Yield declined 7.8 percent from the previous-year first quarter, primarily reflecting continued pressure on pricing in the competitive LTL market, and the effect of a 9.3 percent increase in weight per shipment compared to the prior year. Excluding the fuel surcharge, yield declined 11.2 percent.
•Operating ratio was 100.4 in the 2010 first quarter compared to 104.1 in the previous-year period.
[/quote]

Nope....didn't forget about last year.

That was when the company came hat in hand decrying the end of the LTL world as we knew it.

Hand to be our own bank...couldn't borrow operating money...just had to slash our wages and benefits...screw us out of a years vacation...ad nauseum.

Then dangle some ridiculuously unobtainable goals (like a 92% OR...are you kidding me?) to acquire our remaining 2.6% pay...and insulted every employee in this company by saying they were going to return 2.5% and then washing it away with insurance premiums increases.

I hope everyone enjoys the e-track trailers...the handhelds...and the new freightliners...you bought 'em.

And of course we have the race car....

No...I did not forget about last year.

Now we must suffer thru market based pay structures...cost of labor as opposed to cost of living depending on where you live.

Will someone please explain to me where the 'integrity' went?

Rat

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79873.msg827441#msg827441 date=1273112965]

Rat
[/quote]

Didn't that leave with Jerry D. ?

[quote author=dcmilkwagon link=topic=79873.msg827447#msg827447 date=1273113867]
[quote author=Rat link=topic=79873.msg827441#msg827441 date=1273112965]

Rat
[/quote]

Didn't that leave with Jerry D. ?
[/quote]

May have been part of his retirement package.

Take that ::shit:: with you...we have no use for it!!!

Rat

Was there ever any doubt that this is how things would work out? Bonus pay based on a very simple profit calculation, then OOPS, no profit, sorry.

unfortunately con-ways upper management costed there way into this mess by offering ridiculous pricing and waived fuel surcharges...the conway of the past would never even consider this..if you look thru 2009 you see increased revenue and tonnage..yet conway's yeild was out of control.....THIS IS A DIRECT REFLECTION OF THE SALES/MANAGEMNT TEAM WHO FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON DECIDED TO DROP THEIR DRAWS..THE CONWAY OF OLD IS GONE AND WILL NEVER RETURN.......GREAT JOB DUMBNUTS :thumbsup:

Also you have to look at it this way, they got rid of the people that knew how to run a trucking company efficiently. Now all we have is a bunch of collage kids that don't know a thing about moving freight.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=79873.msg827568#msg827568 date=1273156784]
Also you have to look at it this way, they got rid of the people that knew how to run a trucking company efficiently. Now all we have is a bunch of collage kids that don't know a thing about moving freight.
[/quote]
Ya Hit the nail on the head on that. All of the management that actually helped build this company is now gone. If by chance you talk to someone from XGO face to face and mention the name Jerry D. , they get a pissed annoyed look on their face. Last year they were talking about building our BRAND. We wouldn't have had to do that if they had not destroyed what Uncle Jerry and others had built. In the Videos they would always say that Con-Way was a Driver Oriented Company. We haven't heard that since Jerry left. Just like our NAME. We were know as Con-Way Central Express , Western Express , Southern Express. If you combine everyone it makes sense to call us all Con-Way Express. BUT THEY COULDN'T DO THAT. They had to change the name to Con-Way Freight. They had to get that F back into our name. Just like we used to be called a CF Company. Then a CNF Company. If you think back and notice , we have never gotten away from having CF in our name somewhere.
They make changes in policy that screws us over and tell us about the rest of the industry is doing this so we need to.
We became what we once were by being outside the box. Duhhhh!!!!
Uncle Jerry , (A High School Drop out that started working the docks for CF)built one of the best Companies in the Industry.
It really scares me to think about where we will be in another few years with this bunch of College Kids in charge. They just flat our have no clue!!!

[quote author=gunner1119 link=topic=79873.msg827814#msg827814 date=1273245715]
[/quote]
Ya Hit the nail on the head on that. All of the management that actually helped build this company is now gone. If by chance you talk to someone from XGO face to face and mention the name Jerry D. , they get a pissed annoyed look on their face. Last year they were talking about building our BRAND. We wouldn't have had to do that if they had not destroyed what Uncle Jerry and others had built. In the Videos they would always say that Con-Way was a Driver Oriented Company. We haven't heard that since Jerry left. Just like our NAME. We were know as Con-Way Central Express , Western Express , Southern Express. If you combine everyone it makes sense to call us all Con-Way Express. BUT THEY COULDN'T DO THAT. They had to change the name to Con-Way Freight. They had to get that F back into our name. Just like we used to be called a CF Company. Then a CNF Company. If you think back and notice , we have never gotten away from having CF in our name somewhere.
They make changes in policy that screws us over and tell us about the rest of the industry is doing this so we need to.
Uncle Jerry , (A High School Drop out that started working the docks for CF)built one of the best Companies in the Industry.
It really scares me to think about where we will be in another few years with this bunch of College Kids in charge. They just flat our have no clue!!!
[/quote]

Well, we will never be away from the CF name. Hence, Consolidated Freightway. Conway.That's where the name came from.

They always like to say that they want to save money and do things more efficiently. Heres a good way. GET THE SERVICE CENTERS SHUT DOWN ON TIME AND GET THE GUYS TO THE RESHIP ON TIME. We wouldn't need the 70 hour rule shoved up our rear ends. All the money they can save on labor is pathetic. There is no reason why the reships have to be open till 5:30-6:00 AM during the week. Stop acting stupid and pick up the dollar instead of stepping over it to pick up a dime like you always do. Or, didn't they teach that to you in collage. I thought it was common sense.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=79873.msg827905#msg827905 date=1273271953]
They always like to say that they want to save money and do things more efficiently. Heres a good way. GET THE SERVICE CENTERS SHUT DOWN ON TIME AND GET THE GUYS TO THE RESHIP ON TIME. We wouldn't need the 70 hour rule shoved up our rear ends. All the money they can save on labor is pathetic. There is no reason why the reships have to be open till 5:30-6:00 AM during the week. Stop acting stupid and pick up the dollar instead of stepping over it to pick up a dime like you always do. Or, didn't they teach that to you in collage. I thought it was common sense.
[/quote]
That's all fine and dandy but, we get to the FAC's on time but they hold our drivers and they get back late. Well, you know what that means for the next night. The FAC's are our problem out west. Even the local FAC's are cutting our guys out late. The FAC's are sucking real bad right now. I don't know if it is not enough help or what the problem is but the late arrivals from our FAC's are killing us. :rant:

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79873.msg827948#msg827948 date=1273283730]
[/quote]
That's all fine and dandy but, we get to the FAC's on time but they hold our drivers and they get back late. Well, you know what that means for the next night. The FAC's are our problem out west. Even the local FAC's are cutting our guys out late. The FAC's are sucking real bad right now. I don't know if it is not enough help or what the problem is but the late arrivals from our FAC's are killing us. :rant:
[/quote]I've always believed that the Regional FAC's (Kettleman City, Blythe, etc..) out West were a horrible idea. The local FAC's made much more since. I say bring back layovers out West.

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79873.msg827948#msg827948 date=1273283730]
[/quote]
[/quote]
We don't get everyone on the street till noon or later on a very regular basis. If we can't get customer's freight to them till mid to late afternoon, they can't use it that day. At that point the next day delivery is meaningless.

Here in the east its always the same guys and the same termials showing up late, 3:30- 4:00 AM during the week and 2 hours later on saturday mornings.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=79873.msg828038#msg828038 date=1273324561]
Here in the east its always the same guys and the same termials showing up late, 3:30- 4:00 AM during the week and 2 hours later on saturday mornings.
[/quote]

Then that is poor supervision ..

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79873.msg827873#msg827873 date=1273259871]
[quote author=gunner1119 link=topic=79873.msg827814#msg827814 date=1273245715]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, we will never be away from the CF name. Hence, Consolidated Freightway. Conway.That's where the name came from.
[/quote]
That was what I was aiming at. I would go a little further with that but I am going to try to be nice and not :stir: . I could really get some MILEAGE GOING THAT DIRECTION!!!

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=79873.msg828046#msg828046 date=1273327409]
[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=79873.msg828038#msg828038 date=1273324561]
[/quote]

Then that is poor supervision ..
[/quote]
Exactly!!! In the last 4 or 5 months I have seen Sector Supervisors that was given the job and not know anything about the freight business.
BUT when you start talking to them and do a little quite fishing you find out they haven't even been with the company very long ( Not even a couple MONTHS)
BUT they HAD taken some college classes. I have seen this at re-ship and also on the local level. A couple of weeks ago on Friday morning a supervisor told me that I needed to stay and break a few more trailers. After all ,we are on a two hour backup and I would still get off work in time to get my 10 hours off and still be able to make my run. I didn't have to worry about my hours because I had set at home one night to re-set my hours after a 15 hour night. I told him that WE might be on a two hour backup but our CUSTOMERS WERE NOT. HONESTLY !!! I had to explain what I meant to him. A lot of the GOOD Supervisors have been replaced with STUPIDVISORS!!!

By Wednesday our city operation don't hit the streets until 11:00 Am. Why? Getting back from the reship late. Why? Service Centers getting to the reship late. Why? Supervisers, TM's and RM's are not held accountable for how their terminals are ran. It amazes me how sloppy and inefficient this company has gotten. Hell R&L hits the streets at 7:30 AM every day for their city operation. Their outbound dock is done at 8:00 PM, lights out and forklifts parked. I don't see why anyone would want to ship their freight with us when the freight don't start to get delivered until early afternoon. Then we have city trailers pulling in at 7:30 and 8:00. I know of service centers not shutting their dock down until midnight EVERY night. One place does 1 million pounds every day and part timers all over the place with 4 supervises. Another S.C. having 25 doors and part timers on the dock and line haul drivers sitting in the break room at 11:00 PM to midnight waiting for their loads. And they still have a 250 mile drive to do! It's pathetic. There is no sense of urgency

When we were all still our own seperate companies, CWX linehaul would ask a driver why he was late to a meet and drivers who were consistently late would get held accountable as would there respective service centers. Being late was very BAD and being on time was GOOD. Now, no one asks and therefore I must assume no one cares who, why, or what when you are late. I ran on the weekend several weekends back and my meet was 1 HOUR LATE!!! How can you be late on a Saturday afternoon when your load was closed the night before. No one does anything about it.