Estes | Options

lumper

TB Lurker
Credits
I know alot of out of work YRC drivers are considering their options at this point. Would Estes consider hiring these drivers if work was available? Or do they blacklist all former union men? Many people are trying to gather info about various companies so they know what there options might be when freight pickups. Can somebody fill guys in about Estes pay rates, benefits, and work enviroment?

Yes, Estes would consider hiring these drivers whether they were union or not if and when work is available. Their experience is more important than whether they were union or not as we have hired many ex-union drivers from past companies like CF. Besides, some of GI Trucking (I believe), which Estes now owns is union.

Currently, Estes pay is $0.53/mile for line haul road drivers, but new hires start out at .08cents less than maximum with 2 cent raises every six months. (At least that was the way it was when I hired on 11 years ago and Estes drivers have received a pay raise every year as long as I can remember.)

The quickest way to get hired is to come on as a team as they are hired in a heartbeat. That's the way I got on when they weren't hiring road drivers and I hear it is still the same way today. A team must stay together at least a year before they split up and the terminal must have a need for extra board drivers if the split occurs.

You get paid $7.50 for every hook and break of pups. Otherwise you get nothing save for hourly rates ($16.50?) after 3 hrs of breakdown. Not the best, but I personally was only broken down for more than 3 hours maybe 3 times in the last 11years.

All miles are hub miles and you get paid for out of route miles due to accidents or routes around cites with Haz Mat.

Vacations are one week after one year, two weeks after three years I believe, and three weeks after 9 years.

Benefits include 401k (company match of 3%) dental, vision, vacation, holidays, etc, etc.

Work environment is laid back. New drivers will start out on the extra board and can bid on any run posted. Bids are granted based on seniority and once you receive a bid it is your's forever or until you bid on another run and there is no re-bidding unless they go through a major overhaul as they did back in November. Once you are assigned a truck it is yours. There is no slip seating, but any driver can use your truck at anytime if you are off.

Work is 5 days per week with 2 days off, but if you need a day off just say so and usually no one will question it, but it is on a terminal by terminal basis based on your terminal manager.

Any driver can go to corporate with a complaint with no repercussions if you cannot get a problem solved at the terminal level and action will be taken to resolve your problem/complaint.

Granted, as with any company, there are problems and egotistical and uncaring terminal managers and dispatchers, but by and by it is the best company I have ever worked for. As long as you do your job in a safe manner no one will ever bother you.

Good luck and if you hire on you'll understand what I am talking about. Not the best, but the best, union or not, from what I've heard from other drivers who have come on from both union and non-union companies. Maybe that's why Estes has a turnover rate of less than 3% or less from what I've heard. Almost no one ever leaves once they hire on.

The above information is accurate as far as I know, but other drivers may correct what I have written or have more to add.

no union in the gi system . the gi system operated like a union shop but no dues paying members anywhere

i think it maybe 2 hours on the breakdown i got 30 min last night on a 2 and a half hour deal with a tire.

this is the best kept secret in trucking as far as jobs go. Laid back and make money

Insurance

I will say that the health and life insurance is very reasonable. The company matches 3 percent on 401k, and I feel more comfortable having my own money rather than a pension. I know some guys that have started puting in 401k in their thirties and have well in excess of a half of a million. Put that with social security and i think they will have happy retiriment days. P@D can be a little stressful but might get on road someday.

Thank you for your responses. Can you give a little more info on the P+D side in terms of starting pay and wage progression. I heard Estes does not pay overtime, is that true?

How are the benefits? How much would a driver have to pay each week for family medical and dental? Thanks again!

no OT till after 55 hours and we pay 36 / 37 bucks a week for health on option 2 for family. 10 bucks i think foe dental ??

Ins. for my family and I (3 of us on it now, was 5)

per week...
Health- (premium plan) $19.36

Dental- $6.52

Life- (got the max.) $14.22

Vision- $2.06

The health insurance pays high and fast, best I've had.

Dental works good also.

Vision is ok but could be better.

Vision is ok but could be better.

NO KIDDING IT COULD BE look at this poor driver. damn guy can see craters on the moon

CIMG0067.jpg

I know alot of out of work YRC drivers are considering their options at this point. Would Estes consider hiring these drivers if work was available? Or do they blacklist all former union men? Many people are trying to gather info about various companies so they know what there options might be when freight pickups. Can somebody fill guys in about Estes pay rates, benefits, and work enviroment?

Very little paperwork at big E also. We have an ex- union guy. He say's he is much happier here! Better equipment, more laid back and his phone never rings. My dispatcher say's we don't get paid to think....I recon that's another plus.

Geez, BB.Looks like Redd Foxx in Harlem Nights.He's got to have very large deductable. Tell him to just pop the bottom off a Coke bottle, it would be cheaper.