Oregon Strikes Again

Cerberus_Kelpie

TB Veteran
Credits
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland...ng-to-get-discarded-food-from-fred-meyer.html

From the State that brought US "Decriminalizing Drug Use" to "Police Protecting Garbage".
Updated Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021.

Roughly a dozen Portland police officers faced off with a small group at a Northeast Portland Fred Meyer on Tuesday after people tried to take food that had been thrown away.

Workers at the Hollywood West Fred Meyer threw away thousands of perishable items because the store, like many others, had lost power in an outage brought on by the region’s winter storm.

Images on social media showed mountains of packaged meat, cheese and juice, as well as whole turkeys and racks of ribs that had been tossed into two large dumpsters near the store.

My wife and our daughter argue a couple of times a year about outdated food. In my house, we eat the food until it smells bad or the milk tastes sour (usually I'm asking "does this taste bad to you?").

My daughter pays close attention to expiration dates and throws food stuff out on or before the date. This irritates my wife. She says it's a waste of food and our daughter is wasting money. I say "not our money to waste."

Might be why my daughter and her family have less money than my wife and I had at their age.

My wife and our daughter argue a couple of times a year about outdated food. In my house, we eat the food until it smells bad or the milk tastes sour (usually I'm asking "does this taste bad to you?").

My daughter pays close attention to expiration dates and throws food stuff out on or before the date. This irritates my wife. She says it's a waste of food and our daughter is wasting money. I say "not our money to waste."

Might be why my daughter and her family have less money than my wife and I had at their age.
I keep an eye on my wife.
She has been known to throw out canned goods that are no more than 10 or 12 yrs old.

We do a lot of canning and freezing from our vegetable garden, my hunting, and every so often from buying a side of beef. And sometimes the stuff is still in the freezer years later. But if we thaw it out, and it smells fine and looks fine, then we eat it. Never had a food poisoning issue.

We do a lot of canning and freezing from our vegetable garden, my hunting, and every so often from buying a side of beef. And sometimes the stuff is still in the freezer years later. But if we thaw it out, and it smells fine and looks fine, then we eat it. Never had a food poisoning issue.
I traded beef with our neighbor, our kids had all our critters named, and were not about to eat, Buster, Jake, or Ferdinand.

We once raised a pig and named him "pork chop." He was Yorkshire and tasted very good. We were trying to eat healthier then. Not so much now. Organic, non-organic, GMO, non-GMO, plant it, raise it, we eat it!

The sniff test is actually quite reliable.

I traded beef with our neighbor, our kids had all our critters named, and were not about to eat, Buster, Jake, or Ferdinand.
A friend who is a country girl through & through, retired from teaching & raises beef cattle. She always has some 'Bottle calves'. For those of you who may not know a cow sometimes will not raise a calf for whatever reason. A friend was looking at two bottle calves & remarked how 'Cute' they were, then asked their names. The country girl said "Hamburger & T-bone".