FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a Retreat, Uber Ends Its Self-Driving Car Experiment in San Francisco

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/t...a-uber-driverless-car-.html?ref=business&_r=1

"In a statement on Wednesday, the company said it ended the pilot program after the California Department of Motor Vehicles revoked the registrations for its self-driving cars.

“We’re now looking at where we can redeploy these cars but remain 100 percent committed to California and will be redoubling our efforts to develop workable statewide rules,” the company said."

Absolutely a factor. The increased speed differential, is likely not being considered by the groups pushing the mandate. Also untrue in the article, was an assertion that drivers travel a various speeds by choice, even without limiters. Truth is, once the speeds are mechanically limited to at or below posted limit, most all tend to drive flat out (65). This causes additional hazards, such as rolling roadblocks (trains?), hampered mergings, lane changes, access to exit ramps on limited access roadways, etc. All real issues that contribute to declines in public perception, as well as reduced safety.

As far as passing, what about a mandated "switch", allowing a 1 minute "boost" in order to complete the pass? :smilie93c peelout: :poke::emoticon digging:
Most owner/operators I know of who don't have limiters generally run around 70mph unless they're passing. It keeps the speed closer to cars while still being efficient. My dad used to do exactly that back in the day.

As for a booster button, I think that's a great idea if they're going to insist on capping us.

Truckers Rely on the Pusher to Get Over California’s Donner Summit

Read more at: http://www.ttnews.com/articles/base...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter

"During a presentation on mountain travel safety this week, Caltrans and the California Trucking Association offered kudos to what they say are quiet mountain heroes this winter. The muscular little rubber-nosed vehicles patrol the mountain during storms, slipping in behind stalled rigs and nudging the commercial trucks forward until the bigger trucks’ wheels can gain enough traction to continue on their own."

Schneider Files Form With SEC to Consider IPO

Read more at: http://www.ttnews.com/articles/base...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter

"According to the filing, Schneider would be authorized to issue up to 600 million shares out of a total of 1 billion shares of class A (250 million) and class B stock (750 million), although the company said it will only list its class B stock on the New York Stock Exchange. It would be traded under the symbol “SNDR.”"

"During a presentation on mountain travel safety this week, Caltrans and the California Trucking Association offered kudos to what they say are quiet mountain heroes this winter. The muscular little rubber-nosed vehicles patrol the mountain during storms, slipping in behind stalled rigs and nudging the commercial trucks forward until the bigger trucks’ wheels can gain enough traction to continue on their own."
Pffft. RC is known to push Pushers when they get stuck...

ZmDGtOV.jpg

FedexLube prefers this on his Pushers...:2437::lmao: :hide:

Not to say I wouldn't be watching the 4 wheeler doing a stupid stunt like that but I like how it's always the truckers fault when clearly the 4 wheeler was at fault.

I think the 4 wheeler would still be "at fault". Also, just because the accident was deemed "preventable", for the Truck Driver, doesn't mean he was at fault. It means, as a professional, he could/should have foreseen the scenario, and taken action to avoid the accident. Splitting hairs, I know. But still true, IMHO.

Holiday Sales May Have Jumped 4.9% in Biggest Gain Since 2005

"Holiday shoppers abandoned their early reluctance and boosted spending as the season wore on, pushing U.S. sales to the biggest increase in more than a decade, according to research firm Customer Growth Partners. On Dec. 27, the firm raised its holiday sales estimate to a 4.9% gain over last year to $637 billion. That would be the biggest increase since 2005. Customer Growth previously predicted a 4.1% advance."

We used to cross Donner Pass quite often back in the early 90's with a single axle when I drove as a stick hauler and we never needed a "push"...but then again, the quality of drivers today just ain't what they used to be either!!

We used to cross Donner Pass quite often back in the early 90's with a single axle when I drove as a stick hauler and we never needed a "push"...but then again, the quality of drivers today just ain't what they used to be either!!
I read somewhere that Consolidated Freightways was one that had a Donner pusher back in the day, an old Freightliner cabover road tractor they'd hung a weight on the back of and strung a bunch of chains on it.

You'd have to be real good with that clutch pedal to drive one of those. Occasionally I saw tow trucks doing pusher and tug duty together on the Coq. Get those heavy loads through the Great Bear snowshed and up to the summit. Some Super-B's out there in BC are grossing 140,000lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.