FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 Years Ago: CCJ Covers World War I

http://www.ccjdigital.com/100-years...7-03-2015&utm_campaign=CCJ&ust_id=e5b3f91fe5&

This post was originally published in August 2014. In honor of Independence Day this weekend, CCJ brought it back from the archives.

Enjoy and celebrate how far we have come... :usa:

img_1967.jpg

img_1955.jpg

img_1954.jpg

My how things have CHANGED! Excellent opportunity to celebrate our Independence & a much improved workplace. THANK YOU to those that made it all possible! :usa: :1036316054::usa::notworthy::usa:

Again, Enjoy and Celebrate! :usa2::usa2:

On that theme, we know pneumatic tires for trucks radically improved the driver experience. Can you imagine the beating we must've taken back in the day?

http://oldautonews.com/pneumatic-tire-on-trucks-in-wwi/

"Speed – Trucks equipped with pneumatic cord tires can be operated, on good roads, at 35 to 40 miles an hour, and can maintain an average of 20 miles on hour, while the maximum speed possible with solid tire equipment is 10 miles an hour."

:usa::usa2::usa:

CCJ giving away trucker-themed rifle: Here’s how to win

http://www.ccjdigital.com/ccj-givin...7-06-2015&utm_campaign=CCJ&ust_id=e5b3f91fe5&

No purchase required to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.Promotion consists of three separate giveaways. Entry period for first giveaway begins at 12:01 a.m. CST on 6/15/15 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on 8/31/15. Entry period for second giveaway begins at 12:01 a.m. CST on 9/1/15 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on 9/29/15. Entry period for third giveaway begins at 12:01 a.m. CST on 11/1/15 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on 12/11/15.

http://register.ccjdigital.com/trucker-tribute-rifle-giveaway/

The trucking technology tit-for-tat: Will trucking get anything in return for ever-increasing regs?

http://www.ccjdigital.com/trucking-...-09-2015&utm_campaign=CCJ&ust_id=e5b3f91fe5&#

"Which means that at some point, trucking is going to need to get something back in return for all the new regulations and safety mandates it has been forced to comply with in the recent past and will be forced to comply with in the very near future."

"And while everyone is trying to attract, train and retain drivers today, the stark truth is the industry simply doesn’t have enough drivers to man the trucks it needs out on the roads today. And there’s no way it’s going to attract anywhere near the number of drivers it will need to maintain our current freight levels, much less increase those levels in the near future."

"So, tell me now why these amazingly safer trucks can’t be bigger and carry more payload in order to maximize the productivity of the highly trained, highly skilled and still highly limited numbers of drivers available to take them down the road?"

"So, tell me now why these amazingly safer trucks can’t be bigger and carry more payload in order to maximize the productivity of the highly trained, highly skilled and still highly limited numbers of drivers available to take them down the road?"[/B]
Although almost every company would be all for safer, bigger trucks capable of carrying more payload in order to maximize productivity, the sad reality is that the IBT would be on Capital Hill fighting tooth and nail against any such regulations!!
Why? Because it would eventually require less drivers which equals less dues paying members!! It's no different than the 33ft pups now, the IBT is dead set against those too!!

Although almost every company would be all for safer, bigger trucks capable of carrying more payload in order to maximize productivity, the sad reality is that the IBT would be on Capital Hill fighting tooth and nail against any such regulations!!
Why? Because it would eventually require less drivers which equals less dues paying members!! It's no different than the 33ft pups now, the IBT is dead set against those too!!
Why pick out that one group, Red? Owner operators don't like it either, nor do (misguided/ill-informed) public safety advocates.

Every special interest want's their own advantage. That's business in today's over regulated world. FedEx cherishes the "protection" and advantage provided them (Express) by the Railway Labor Act. Does that make them dirty rotten stinking scoundrels, even though FedEx paid a visit or two to Capital Hill "fighting tooth and nail against" any such CHANGE in those regulations? It seems that both parties are staying true to their stated intent.

Each seem to be advocating for the parties they represent.

Due to the driver shortage within the trucking industry, Congress is proposing a lowering of the age to obtain a CDL to 18 years old

"...trucking companies will need to recruit nearly 100,000 new drivers a year over the next decade to keep pace with the country's freight needs."

http://www.usnews.com/news/business...ng-to-lower-interstate-truck-driver-age-to-18

"We absolutely support" lowering the age limit, he said. "It would be good for our industry, it would be good for commerce, it would be good for the economy."

Due to the driver shortage within the trucking industry, Congress is proposing a lowering of the age to obtain a CDL to 18 years old

"...trucking companies will need to recruit nearly 100,000 new drivers a year over the next decade to keep pace with the country's freight needs."

http://www.usnews.com/news/business...ng-to-lower-interstate-truck-driver-age-to-18

"We absolutely support" lowering the age limit, he said. "It would be good for our industry, it would be good for commerce, it would be good for the economy."
You only have to be 21 in order to cross state lines. I received my CDL at 18 and could get enough miles to run out of hours . It was also more of an insurance thing.Getting the license was the easy part. Most companies require you to be 21 and some even 23. There are plenty of states where you can get 400 to 600 miles a day and not cross a state line.

You only have to be 21 in order to cross state lines. I received my CDL at 18 and could get enough miles to run out of hours . It was also more of an insurance thing.Getting the license was the easy part. Most companies require you to be 21 and some even 23. There are plenty of states where you can get 400 to 600 miles a day and not cross a state line.
When i first started small companies needed u to be 25 for their insurance so they must be thinking kids are going to stay out for 6 weeks at a time with prime or warner or some great company thats self insured

You should've read the article/link...the new bill being proposed would also change the age limit to cross state lines....

"Federal regulations currently require drivers be at least 21 before they can drive commercial trucks across state lines, but a bill introduced this week by Republican senators would allow contiguous states that join together in "compacts" to drop the age threshold to 18 for interstate trips. There is no limit on the number of states that could join the compacts."

When i first started small companies needed u to be 25 for their insurance so they must be thinking kids are going to stay out for 6 weeks at a time with prime or warner or some great company thats self insured
Or with a company like FedEx Freight who is also self insured, it would allow the younger drivers to run local in order to gain valuable experience while giving the current city drivers the opportunity to transfer to the road.

Or with a company like FedEx Freight who is also self insured, it would allow the younger drivers to run local in order to gain valuable experience while giving the current city drivers the opportunity to transfer to the road.
That makes more sense cause i don't know to many 18 year olds that want to be gone that long.

And it would be a good way to keep wages suppressed.
It's not about wages but rather choice of lifestyle. We have drivers who make $100K a year and they don't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of...and we have drivers who make half of that and they're living high on the hog!
It's not about what one makes but rather what one spends!!

Status
Not open for further replies.