Our "Super Bowl"

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Yesterday I only had 10 stops and was medium well will say as far as the load went I was pushing 755 cases so that's on the heavy side of medium 800 or more is heavy. 750-is heavy medium. Anyhow I got back fairly early about 1:45pm is when I clocked out past couple Fridays I haven't been getting back till 3ish.

Anyhow it wasn't a lot of stops, but I had a couple real heavy one's by stop 3-4 I had already taken 300-400 cases off the truck.

One of our customers said to me "Yeah this weekend is like our Superbowl." My chef was worried you guys wouldn't get here on time.

I said "I'm only 1/2 hour behind." He said "Your on time as far as I'm concerned."

So wasn't a bad day over all.

Which US Foods are on strike? They might not be on strike in Twinsberg, but which one's are because your right that probably didn't help any.

Which US Foods are on strike? They might not be on strike in Twinsberg, but which one's are because your right that probably didn't help any.
Twinsberg is one, as well as Baltimore, buffalo , 2 in California, and I believe Arizona. Not sure about Arizona tho.

Okay maybe so we don't really share to many accounts with US Foods more Sysco then US Foods, which is why I'm not up on US as much. Plus we do schools and US Foods isn't to hot for schools, well not in our market anyhow.

Yeah the reason for it is because they are scheduled to close the Baltimore warehouse next month. Basically gave them guys the option of a $5 hr pay cut lose pension and pay for own benefits or they were gonna close. Obviously the guys were gonna take that big of pay cut

I am not pro Union or non-union I just think it is funny they would not take a $5 hr pay cut but next month there going to looking for jobs. Talked to a US foods driver today he works for the largest us foods warehouse on the east coast he said the bosses said they going to shut it down and maybe a couple more. I hope not for anyone everyone has bills to pay.

Yeah the reason for it is because they are scheduled to close the Baltimore warehouse next month. Basically gave them guys the option of a $5 hr pay cut lose pension and pay for own benefits or they were gonna close. Obviously the guys were gonna take that big of pay cut
I honestly wouldn't have taken it either. Way I see is that all foodservice pretty much pays the same, the customers are still there so if they do close the business will have to go somewhere, no one is able to keep drivers right now so hopefully they'll be able to get on somewhere. If it were me I couldn't see myself doing the same work for less and if you look at what happened with Yellow if they did agree to the givebacks US might've come back with their hands out looking for even more in two years. Just rip the bandaid off now you know?

I honestly wouldn't have taken it either. Way I see is that all foodservice pretty much pays the same, the customers are still there so if they do close the business will have to go somewhere, no one is able to keep drivers right now so hopefully they'll be able to get on somewhere. If it were me I couldn't see myself doing the same work for less and if you look at what happened with Yellow if they did agree to the givebacks US might've come back with their hands out looking for even more in two years. Just rip the bandaid off now you know?
Oh I agree, no way I would had taken it either. They wanted them to go to 18 an hr and start paying for benefits and give up pension. To many other jobs out there to take that kind of pay cut.

Is US Foods not doing good?
Highly leveraged, took on a lot of debt to grow by buying lots of smaller distributors through the years. I think the private equity company that owns them is looking for a way out but the sale to Sysco fell through. There was an IPO planned but haven't heard anything on that lately, I have a feeling their recent labor issues may scare investors off though

I tell you what though locally in the KC market they've been able to steal a LOT of our business over the past few years. From what customers have told me they're more consistent with their delivery times than Sysco. Our routing in KC changes constantly with stops being moved around for no real reason which really pisses customers off, and they say their prices are lower.

I am not pro Union or non-union I just think it is funny they would not take a $5 hr pay cut but next month there going to looking for jobs. Talked to a US foods driver today he works for the largest us foods warehouse on the east coast he said the bosses said they going to shut it down and maybe a couple more. I hope not for anyone everyone has bills to pay.
Where is the largest one?

Highly leveraged, took on a lot of debt to grow by buying lots of smaller distributors through the years. I think the private equity company that owns them is looking for a way out but the sale to Sysco fell through. There was an IPO planned but haven't heard anything on that lately, I have a feeling their recent labor issues may scare investors off though

I tell you what though locally in the KC market they've been able to steal a LOT of our business over the past few years. From what customers have told me they're more consistent with their delivery times than Sysco. Our routing in KC changes constantly with stops being moved around for no real reason which really pisses customers off, and they say their prices are lower.

You know we don't share to many accounts with them at GFS. We share more accounts with Sysco then we do US. That's not to say we don't share any US accounts, but it's not the same of course we have everyone here in Cleveland we have all 3 US, Sysco and GFS we also have Performance Food Group and there companies heck Vistar has a warehouse in Twinsberg. We've got regional's like Northern Haserot Brandt and Sherwood and then we have like I said every company has some kind of presence here. We get produce and sea food haulers from Pittsburgh into Cleveland like Paragon Produce comes to town to deliver. Of course bigger local distributors like Hillcrest Food Service go to Pittsburgh I think and I'm sure our whole sale produce haulers like Economy Produce go to Pittsburgh and I know Dairymen's goes into Pittsburgh. Were only 2.5 hours from Pittsburgh which is a hell of a town, I've always told that to Double R.

There is an old folks home I do on Wednesday and it is an account that we got from US I guess the old folks home felt GFS was a better distributor and that was that. I tell you what for the most part we are very consistent on times at GFS they ad stops and take off stops here and there but usually at the core the routes are pretty much the same. They don't just change the routes around just to give the routers something to do. I know when I worked at the pizza shop Sysco was hit and miss sometimes on Monday they were right there at 9:00am waiting for us to open up and then there were other times it was 7:00pm at night in the winter and they were just rolling there first stack in.

One time they came so late the owner was angry with a captial A the driver was probably a swing driver didn't know the route had been running around blind all day tired over worked couldn't take it any more showed up like 7:30-8:00pm at night full of attitude and the owner said take it all back I don't want it.

We've had issues like that at GFS, well not angry just delivery times were missed and the next day it had to be redelivered, the one day it was a bad snow storm my route was way heavy and I was started way late and there was no winning. They didn't get mad at me because they knew I didn't have a snow balls chance.

Last edited: