Holland | Outside Carriers

skullcramp

Government Seal
Credits
MI is utilizing outside carriers to move AT, CN and DE. Any other barns doing the same? Also they tried offering road work to city drivers with predictable results.

MI is utilizing outside carriers to move AT, CN and DE. Any other barns doing the same? Also they tried offering road work to city drivers with predictable results.
I believe any good Teamster knows exactly what speed and what quality these outside carriers should be loaded! Only the highest quality work for these guys! Definitely make sure they are looking forward to coming back real soon! :D

I believe any good Teamster knows exactly what speed and what quality these outside carriers should be loaded! Only the highest quality work for these guys! Definitely make sure they are looking forward to coming back real soon! :D

SCU1MbN.jpg

We're seeing CRST as well as any number of alphabet soup carriers. Here's a little first hand story. I was talking to the window licker in the shack when a guy walks up and holds his phone up to the opening,
WHERE IS MY TRAILER is printed in big letters on his phone. Shack man says " go up front and they'll have your..... guy frantically waves his hand, types PLEASE TELL ME WHERE MY TRAILER IS on the phone. HNRY logistics at its finest. Give it 6 months and that's all we'll see.
There was a posting in the breakroom for city guys to talk to the TM about running the road on weekends.
As far as I know there were one or 2 cement heads who were interested. Pretty sure they didn't run but I'll find out more today.

So what your saying is you would rather see the alphabet soup carriers haul the freight on the weekends instead of the the cement heads, or would you rather just let the freight sit ? just asking for a friend of a friend who knows a cement head.

We're seeing CRST as well as any number of alphabet soup carriers. Here's a little first hand story. I was talking to the window licker in the shack when a guy walks up and holds his phone up to the opening,
WHERE IS MY TRAILER is printed in big letters on his phone. Shack man says " go up front and they'll have your..... guy frantically waves his hand, types PLEASE TELL ME WHERE MY TRAILER IS on the phone. HNRY logistics at its finest. Give it 6 months and that's all we'll see.
There was a posting in the breakroom for city guys to talk to the TM about running the road on weekends.
As far as I know there were one or 2 cement heads who were interested. Pretty sure they didn't run but I'll find out more today.
Have you ever reflected to why they are having to outsource the freight to outside carriers?
If they are offering additional revenue for drivers to cover loads in-house prior to outsourcing, wouldn’t it be advantageous for all involved to move it in-house?

One way or another that freight has to be moved, and it is counter productive to decide that it is better to let an outside carrier do the work when it was offered first in-house isn’t it?

The part where it is hinted that screwing the outside carrier somehow going to change the fact that the freight still needs to be moved is nothing more than a personal grudge against the company.

With the new ONE policy that YRCW is moving towards they will be looking to move that freight by any means possible to meet their contractual obligations, that could be that Holland’s freight is moved on YRC trailers, Holland trailers, or outsourced when the freight can not be covered due to lack of personnel willing to do so and the only ones to blame for the outsourcing is those unwilling to take up the offer to do so internally. That is a business response not a dig at the Unions or members, and you need to remember YRC is a business first and will do what it needs to operate.

Have you ever reflected to why they are having to outsource the freight to outside carriers?
If they are offering additional revenue for drivers to cover loads in-house prior to outsourcing, wouldn’t it be advantageous for all involved to move it in-house?

One way or another that freight has to be moved, and it is counter productive to decide that it is better to let an outside carrier do the work when it was offered first in-house isn’t it?

The part where it is hinted that screwing the outside carrier somehow going to change the fact that the freight still needs to be moved is nothing more than a personal grudge against the company.

With the new ONE policy that YRCW is moving towards they will be looking to move that freight by any means possible to meet their contractual obligations, that could be that Holland’s freight is moved on YRC trailers, Holland trailers, or outsourced when the freight can not be covered due to lack of personnel willing to do so and the only ones to blame for the outsourcing is those unwilling to take up the offer to do so internally. That is a business response not a dig at the Unions or members, and you need to remember YRC is a business first and will do what it needs to operate.
Are you an office guy? I would think that outsourcing was a management decision not something they were forced to do. I believe they knew exactly what they were doing and that is why the contract was written exactly how it was. Unfortunately for them sometimes them ideas that sounded so great on paper don't work so good in real life! Shiny wheels have to run ELD's also!
Thank God or we would be screwed!

So what your saying is you would rather see the alphabet soup carriers haul the freight on the weekends instead of the the cement heads, or would you rather just let the freight sit ? just asking for a friend of a friend who knows a cement head.
Change the contract and I'll live with it. If we're talking about the same cement head, my biggest problem is he's a bottom third of the board guy who self bargains, works out pocket loads for himself etc. But maybe I'm being too harsh. Tell hm I said hi.

Well said. My point is that there is contract language that addresses this. Change the contract and I'll go along. Unfortunately the company has reached a point where there isn't way to attract more drivers. And one aspect of the yrcw way is to always work against itself. Keep the inbound working against the outbound, keep the road and city at each other's throats. I'll grant you it would be better if there was a mechanism to allow for cross utilization. I guess we could make everyone utility or combo drivers. Or road one day, city the next. In whatever city you're in.
I'm all ears. If anyone has any ideas. I'm willing to listen.

Are you an office guy? I would think that outsourcing was a management decision not something they were forced to do. I believe they knew exactly what they were doing and that is why the contract was written exactly how it was. Unfortunately for them sometimes them ideas that sounded so great on paper don't work so good in real life! Shiny wheels have to run ELD's also!
No I was a city driver for 19 yrs left in ‘17 took a withdrawal and have my own authority now.

I see it from both perspectives actually, but the problem has always been that one hand fights the other instead of figuring out a way that works for all to keep that freight moving.

That is the real issue. A freight company has to keep the freight moving or else it ceases to remain. A lot of the in fighting between the various cogs in that has always been a problem at Holland and YRC.

I don’t for one minute defend YRC don’t get me wrong, but part of the problem is the staff overall as well.

Well said. My point is that there is contract language that addresses this. Change the contract and I'll go along. Unfortunately the company has reached a point where there isn't way to attract more drivers. And one aspect of the yrcw way is to always work against itself. Keep the inbound working against the outbound, keep the road and city at each other's throats. I'll grant you it would be better if there was a mechanism to allow for cross utilization. I guess we could make everyone utility or combo drivers. Or road one day, city the next. In whatever city you're in.
I'm all ears. If anyone has any ideas. I'm willing to listen.
That’s been an issue for a long time. They have a huge problem getting the staffing they once enticed.

There is no problem running ELD’s, I don’t see why so many people have issues with them.

The real problem comes at the Shippers and receivers And detention times. On this thread there was a post that addressed that issue in particular, where someone joked about holding for personal grudges an outside carrier. That only hurts everyone involved really since that would delay the freight. Delayed freight eventually leads to the shipper/broaker to utilize a different contractor/company. That’s basics 101 and no carrier is to big for them to seek a different one.

Some joke about those driving down the road at break neck speeds and tired, most often that can be traced back to being held at either a shipper or receiver and then attempting to meet the appointments. Now thanks to both OOIDA as well as the Unions many HOS are being revised to address that and give flexibility with the clock. One thing Covid-1984 has done is show with the “Essential” shipments that flexibility in the HOS is not only possible but can be accomplished safely.

One of the biggest problems in the industry isn’t Union verse none, it’s training and proper saftey practices verses what I like to call puppy mills turning out 36 day wonders and giving them the keys to a $140,000 tractor. And it’s not only the Non’s as we all know that does that since it wasn’t to long ago that Holland and YRCW started reducing the requirements to be hired to drive their equipment.

I'll draw you a diagram with detailed instructions! I'll draw slow!
All you are doing is shooting yourself in the foot doing so, it might not seem like it short term but long term it does. I am not saying you personally do, but I seen it often happen at my old barn.

Damaged freight reflects everyone involved, from the driver to the dockworker to the company as a whole. Enough times and the shipper will seek a better company to haul their freight, let alone the costs of damage claims.

And I will give you another incite, what was traditionally LTL and only covered by companies such as Holland, XPO, you name it is now open to TL carriers as well.

The load boards have opened up to TL carriers to now do LTL and there are specific boards now targeting just that. Brokers have been reaching out to carriers with capacity to expand in this market and making it very lucrative to do so. Not all those “shiny wheels” crisscross the country, and same day service crosstown loads are very profitable, especially for those who were runners at companies they left.