XPO | Overtime exemption

Would you support this Bill ?

• Yes

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Obviously this affects OTR more than LTL, but the question is; knowing how critical the trucking industry is to the the economy, is it in the long term interest of the United States to fix this issue in order to ensure a sustainable and efficient supply chain, and will fixing this issue (or not fixing it) attract more employees into this career field to accomplish this goal?
Seems like an easy answer to me.
Of course it's in the long-term interest of the United States to fix issues that weaken its supply chain. It's also in the nation's long-term interest to have a strong and growing middle class of blue-collar workers. The forces that benefit from constant turnover in the trucking industry are the same forces that benefit from skilled workers' wages remaining too low.

Of course it's in the long-term interest of the United States to fix issues that weaken its supply chain. It's also in the nation's long-term interest to have a strong and growing middle class of blue-collar workers. The forces that benefit from constant turnover in the trucking industry are the same forces that benefit from skilled workers' wages remaining too low.
100%

So much for his caring about employees...

Welch acquired new businesses and did not hesitate to use layoffs and outsourcing to streamline them, sometimes leaving shattered, embittered communities behind. He faced criticism - particularly after he retired from GE - for his cavalier attitude about offshoring and shutting U.S. plants, a theme that has grown more potent since the election of President Trump.
The U.S. industrial belt is dotted with communities devastated by GE’s downsizing. At its peak, for instance, GE employed 30,000 at a sprawling integrated industrial plant in Schenectady, New York, that now employs fewer than 3,000.

This is why you have import tariffs. Having tariffs help protect your country's works. In some countries if we shipped a fully assembled into there country are import traffic was upwards of 78%, but if we shipped the parts and the local assembled it the tariff was like 4-5%. I don't see the problem with putting tariffs on all products coming into the USA. In fact Trump imposed more and higher tariffs on China. Now Biden want to remove these tariff on China. If he does hang on and watch or supply chain get even worst and watch the jobs leave

Fix our weaken supply chain????? You all know that the economy runs on diesel. Well diesel price in my area shot up 50cents this past weekend. The highest price for diesel in 2020 was around $3 price this morning was $6.26
This admin is screwing this country and middle class. We went from energy independent and exporter to begging other country to lower there price.
It's going to get worst so hang on.

Business isn't necessarily fair and equal but laws applying to businesses should be applied fairly and equally. Suppose government says company "A" could operate their trucks at 70 mph but company "B" could only operate theirs at 60 mph. Would that be right?

Government doesn't tell companies what to pay (except for minimum wage), but how that pay must be applied, i.e., straight time vs. overtime. Since it was government that established overtime rules in the first place they should be applied evenly or not at all.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/speed-limiters-notice-intent-faqs
Actually funny you brought up the governing of truck speed. It's back on the table.

There’s always forces out there to stifle truckers compensation. This group has no rightful argument to the legislation while companies profits soared along with CEO pay . They want truckers to bend over and take it in the arse so this can continue. Bullshit .
What their saying is we fought for deregulation and against unions so we could take advantage of drivers. Now that drivers have no power any longer we are going to stand against this legislation so this continues. A Big F U to the drivers . Nice

Slaves?! Oh Lord....:lmao:
Slaves might be a bit strong, especially in the LTL world, but its not far off in truckload.....I ran truckload the first five years I drove so I speak from experience when I say most shippers treat you like crap and don't worry about getting you unloaded till you have been there an hour and a half since you are "free" for the first two hours....

Slaves might be a bit strong, especially in the LTL world, but its not far off in truckload.....I ran truckload the first five years I drove so I speak from experience when I say most shippers treat you like crap and don't worry about getting you unloaded till you have been there an hour and a half since you are "free" for the first two hours....

I'm aware of that, but nobody is being forced to do that. It's a choice and as long as drivers continue to accept that as the standard, it will continue to happen.

Slavery is not a choice. Nobody says "I'm going to give this slave thing a try and if it doesn't work I'll go back to my old job".

I'm aware of that, but nobody is being forced to do that. It's a choice and as long as drivers continue to accept that as the standard, it will continue to happen.

Slavery is not a choice. Nobody says "I'm going to give this slave thing a try and if it doesn't work I'll go back to my old job".
I'm aware of that which is why I said a bit strong....I believe all should be treated equally under the law, there should be no exemption.... and to your point about drivers accepting it, obviously they are not since there is a driver shortage that has caught the attention of some in the government....

I'm aware of that which is why I said a bit strong....I believe all should be treated equally under the law, there should be no exemption.... and to your point about drivers accepting it, obviously they are not since there is a driver shortage that has caught the attention of some in the government....

Sure they are. If they weren't, it wouldn't be common practice. As for a driver shortage, that can be attributed to any number of things. First hiring standards. Job history like rehire eligibility from previous employers and gaps. Then you have driving history. 3 or more tickets in x years makes you ineligible. Then there's drug usage, past drug tests and health history.

There are also other issues like home time and missing out on major events in your kids life. To say that there's a driver shortage because of shippers treating drivers poorly is about as far off as equating it to slavery. If it was just about unpaid time, why are all of the LTL carriers still hiring? They pay hourly. Cowan is an OTR/regional company that pays hourly for all on duty hours, but they're still hiring too.

Edit: I forgot the biggest one, automation. Why would anyone get into a field that tech companies are trying to make obsolete? People are dissuaded from pursuing this career by headlines on, what seems like, a weekly basis.

Last edited:
Sure they are. If they weren't, it wouldn't be common practice. As for a driver shortage, that can be attributed to any number of things. First hiring standards. Job history like rehire eligibility from previous employers and gaps. Then you have driving history. 3 or more tickets in x years makes you ineligible. Then there's drug usage, past drug tests and health history.

There are also other issues like home time and missing out on major events in your kids life. To say that there's a driver shortage because of shippers treating drivers poorly is about as far off as equating it to slavery. If it was just about unpaid time, why are all of the LTL carriers still hiring? They pay hourly. Cowan is an OTR/regional company that pays hourly for all on duty hours, but they're still hiring too.
I don't believe I ever said it was the only reason, but it is certainly a big reason as are the ones you listed....I don't think the original poster (or myself for that matter) was meaning it as literally as you are acting...I have been hungry before and said I could eat a horse....I don't think any horse owners have got anything to worry about....I ticked off Mrs 381 one day when I left a pair of shoes out and she tripped on them and she said "I could kill you!"....I didn't start sleeping with one eye open....like I said a bit strong but I get his point....the reason all the LTLs are hiring in my opinion is the job just isn't what it once was....

I was thinking over the road drivers.

Shippers like their modern-day slaves.
Oh they do.

Corporations/shippers have enjoyed record profits for years now. Part of that profit margins come off the backs of truckers. I don’t want to hear for a second the bullshit that the margins are not there.
These shippers fought hard to deregulate and break unions for a long time now. Pushing right to work legislation and now trying to suppress this legislation on overtime Changes. This in large part is why we have a driver shortage. No body wants to work for less than what their due.

Oh they do.

Corporations/shippers have enjoyed record profits for years now. Part of that profit margins come off the backs of truckers. I don’t want to hear for a second the ******** that the margins are not there.
These shippers fought hard to deregulate and break unions for a long time now. Pushing right to work legislation and now trying to suppress this legislation on overtime Changes. This in large part is why we have a driver shortage. No body wants to work for less than what their due.

F0F23A39-2A86-44E5-A9C0-C3CEF451C2A0.md.jpg
If you want to make the argument that these companies will just push the added cost on to the consumers than that’s on these companies. They have the profits to absorb the added cost of paying drivers O/T. The drivers should not be asked to take it on the chin why these companies can afford it.

I’m sorry but anyone that argues this in favor of the companies is being disingenuous as to there motives here.

F0F23A39-2A86-44E5-A9C0-C3CEF451C2A0.md.jpg
If you want to make the argument that these companies will just push the added cost on to the consumers than that’s on these companies. They have the profits to absorb the added cost of paying drivers O/T. The drivers should not be asked to take it on the chin why these companies can afford it.

I’m sorry but anyone that argues this in favor of the companies is being disingenuous as to there motives here.

Name one company or industry that pays more than what the market dictates. The only company that pays more is UPS, but that comes with a bunch of special circumstances.

Anybody arguing that corporations that are built for profit, greed and competition will suddenly become benevolent and give employees more out of the kindness of their hearts doesn't understand how any of this works.