overtime pay

ltl driver

TB Lurker
Credits

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is the law that guarantees overtime pay to many workers, however, the same law has a motor carriers exemption, which says that “any employee with respect to whom the Security of Transportation has the power to establish qualifications and maximum hours” is not guaranteed overtime pay.

There is a little matter of a ICC Exemption against over time from about 1933 in trucking specifically. Its all there legally in stone. because truckers can and will work 70 hours a week. Almost twice what hourly worked in those days which was a relatively new concept.

Canada is complaining that they cannot get west coast US Fruits etc because its going to cost 10,000 dollars to truck it to say Ontario from the California. And apparently its piling up in warehouses here.

I would be more than happy to haul to Ontario the bananas for 3000 dollars cash. Motor carrier keeps the rest. Only there is a little matter of over enforcement in medical databases and clearinghouse etc that has evolved to eliminate truckers from the workforce..

In this type of work, hourly pay doesn't make sense for a lot of sectors.
Not anymore it does not.

I prefer salary in trucking. A minimum of 3000.00 a week with certain withholding for state and federal beyond book withholding. Arkansas just dropped their tax rate to 5.5 recently so that will make things less expensive annaully.

As a bonus it does not matter what work I would do for that salary, be it 20 miles in 5 days or 20000 in 20. And the trucking company only has one number to worry about per driver. Anything above that is theirs to keep.

Not anymore it does not.

I prefer salary in trucking. A minimum of 3000.00 a week with certain withholding for state and federal beyond book withholding. Arkansas just dropped their tax rate to 5.5 recently so that will make things less expensive annaully.

As a bonus it does not matter what work I would do for that salary, be it 20 miles in 5 days or 20000 in 20. And the trucking company only has one number to worry about per driver. Anything above that is theirs to keep.
That would be fair. I always hated working hourly, as there's always a group of ass kissers that skip their breaks to keep the boss happy. Then when you don't give the company back your breaks, you're the jerk.

Long haul companies have created their own problem by not paying their drivers well. Article say's the author is the founder of a long haul company. Wonder if he follows his own advice & pays his drivers better.
If these truckload carriers paid an hourly wage to drivers for all, on duty not driving, after subtracting drive time off their daily 14 hours, it would help , but don’t look for that to happen. Unless it was maybe like minimum wage. You are correct though Hook. They created their own high turnover, but like putting new drivers behind the wheel every few months. Cheaper pay to new hires.