ODFL | Overtime

Hey guys let’s be clear on one thing Old Dominion does not have the proper supervision in place to ever pay time and a half they will lose their ass look at your terminal now 90% of supervisors came from the dock they were super stars but there’s a reason why they want a dock to begin with they do not have or never will trust their supervision to watch the henhouse so as far as getting time and a half after eight never what happened I’ve been waiting 13 years and again look at the supervision at your facilities sorry guys be happy with what you got
They pay it in Seattle. Haven’t read where Seattle is losing money

Ok good reply. I can respect your passion for your cause and I have the same passion but only in the opposite direction I have love ones and even some close friends that think differently on politics
than I, even the wife but she is thankful for the many positive things that the Teamsters have done for us over the years . I wonder what your thinking on RTW is . I and many others even republicans think that If you do not want to have anything to do with the union in the work place and you do not pay fair share then you should not be compelled by law to receive union benefits , your on your own deal with the company by your self or hire a lawyer .

If you work for a union carrier in a RTW state and chose not to pay union dues you should not receive any union benefits.

This exactly proves the point. Hiring drivers and cutting hours is just a ploy corporate uses to keep people from forcing the issue.

Its partly a ploy, Billy is 1 person and has seniority to get a longer route. I have talked to a few drivers from other terminals (also a city driver that recently transferred from SEA) in WA as well as TM's. They do actively try to keep OT low, it is not a free for all on hours like it is at no OT terminals. However some routes will get it no matter what you do. Don't get me wrong OD can afford and should pay OT and allow drivers to get it.

If you work for a union carrier in a RTW state and chose not to pay union dues you should not receive any union benefits.
Not to get political but this is something that the right wing of the supreme court gave the workers . More are on there way ,Trump could appoint at least two more . With that kinda power whats to say that the supreme wouldn't make it a felony to join unions ? It's not going to be good for the nonunion either especially for the unions. Its going to be a rough ride for the next forty years .

Last edited:
Not to get political but this is something that the right wing of the supreme court gave the workers . More are on there way ,Trump could appoint at least two more . With that kinda power whats to say that the supreme wouldn't make it a felony to join unions ? It's not going to be good for the nonunion either especially for the unions. Its going to be a rough ride for the next forty years .

I think that's blowing it out of peroration about making it a felony to be union. I think that choosing a candidate only on their union beliefs does no one any good. I understand that's an important item to you, but what about the rest of the items to consider a candidate on? I would have written that decision differently, however I realize that I will not agree with everything they do. I honestly believe the unions are their own worst enemies.

Here is a little glimpse as to why I am not interested in the union, I went through the Oak Harbor strike about 10 years ago, I did not work for Oak Harbor but know 3 people who did or still do, I can tell you the way the union members acted did not benefit anyone at all. That is where I made my decision to stay as far away from unions as possible. One example, I have a good friend that crossed the line to work because he had to provide for his family, you said join the union to better provide for your family (I paraphrased), he had to get security for his family, the police had assigned a car at his house, his wife and kids were harassed and stalked by his "brothers" and he wasn't the only one. He had his reasons, good reasons, to cross and his "brothers" wanted him dead, their words. Never once did his "brothers" take the time to ask why he crossed (a lot knew) and offer him more assistance during the strike. He was actually for the strike, he did vote no because he know he would be a scab.

I lived thru the OD/Bottoms Fiske strike in 1957.2 uncles,father,grandfather working.1 uncle walking.Family never was the same.Dynamite,beatings,employee's homes shot up....it's all there in your OD history book.

I lived thru the OD/Bottoms Fiske strike in 1957.2 uncles,father,grandfather working.1 uncle walking.Family never was the same.Dynamite,beatings,employee's homes shot up....it's all there in your OD history book.

Damn Jim Bob, you're older than dirt.
I started to work for Ryder in 55, we joined the union in 57, in the early 60s, when they tried to organize Overnite and Bowman, I had 2 friends that got mad and never spoke, both are gone now.
One of my best friends drove for Overnite, a couple of our drivers got mad at me for sitting whith their drivers
at a truck stop, we remained best friends up till his death, sad that some don't use commonsense.
BTW, I thought I was the only one that remembered Bottoms Fiske.

Damn Jim Bob, you're older than dirt.
I started to work for Ryder in 55, we joined the union in 57, in the early 60s, when they tried to organize Overnite and Bowman, I had 2 friends that got mad and never spoke, both are gone now.
One of my best friends drove for Overnite, a couple of our drivers got mad at me for sitting whith their drivers
at a truck stop, we remained best friends up till his death, sad that some don't use commonsense.
BTW, I thought I was the only one that remembered Bottoms Fiske.

I was about 12 at the time.Those were bad times.I remember my daddy putting his S&W in his back coverall pocket going to work.

I was about 12 at the time.Those were bad times.I remember my daddy putting his S&W in his back coverall pocket going to work.

Yep, in the Bowman strike, they covered the Ryder signs on front of our trailers after some were mistaken for
Bowman and shot, this happened in Ala.
Lot of crap happened at local 71 in Charlotte also.

I think that's blowing it out of peroration about making it a felony to be union. I think that choosing a candidate only on their union beliefs does no one any good. I understand that's an important item to you, but what about the rest of the items to consider a candidate on? I would have written that decision differently, however I realize that I will not agree with everything they do. I honestly believe the unions are their own worst enemies.

Here is a little glimpse as to why I am not interested in the union, I went through the Oak Harbor strike about 10 years ago, I did not work for Oak Harbor but know 3 people who did or still do, I can tell you the way the union members acted did not benefit anyone at all. That is where I made my decision to stay as far away from unions as possible. One example, I have a good friend that crossed the line to work because he had to provide for his family, you said join the union to better provide for your family (I paraphrased), he had to get security for his family, the police had assigned a car at his house, his wife and kids were harassed and stalked by his "brothers" and he wasn't the only one. He had his reasons, good reasons, to cross and his "brothers" wanted him dead, their words. Never once did his "brothers" take the time to ask why he crossed (a lot knew) and offer him more assistance during the strike. He was actually for the strike, he did vote no because he know he would be a scab.
My point being about me blowing out of peroration is that anything can happen when all the power goes strictly to one side ,right or left . In this case its corporatist in black robes being influenced by the Koch Bros. and many of that type . Hope I'am wrong . The next 40 years will be not friendly to labor unions or nonunion but friends to Wall Street .Trump is big business so he will naturally choose judges that are pro big business .I get it . I think there should be term limits on judge ships.Now the way it is we have people that are in their eighties some close to ninety . Judges have the same problems as we in with poor health and to include memory issues . Ginsberg for one falls asleep plus who knows about the rest if only we knew .

Last edited:
Its partly a ploy, Billy is 1 person and has seniority to get a longer route. I have talked to a few drivers from other terminals (also a city driver that recently transferred from SEA) in WA as well as TM's. They do actively try to keep OT low, it is not a free for all on hours like it is at no OT terminals. However some routes will get it no matter what you do. Don't get me wrong OD can afford and should pay OT and allow drivers to get it.
I do understand that your state mandates overtime and of course OD can pay us and still be very profitable but again they do not have the proper management employees at Most terminals and when you mentioned Anything to do with this issue Baltimore TM will tell you there is no No such thing at Old Dominion yet they’re already based on your rate of pay vacations ext But when it comes to start times and you do your job with or about overtime being involved it’s always the same stuff favoritism or really don’t want to put the effort in to posting start times ,then weed out the individuals that cannot do the job but again that comes down to having management that not only cares but has the ability to do the proper job I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again these guys may have been Superstar on the dock but there’s a reason they was on the dock to begin with just one man’s opinion

Hey guys let’s be clear on one thing Old Dominion does not have the proper supervision in place to ever pay time and a half they will lose their ass look at your terminal now 90% of supervisors came from the dock they were super stars but there’s a reason why they want a dock to begin with they do not have or never will trust their supervision to watch the henhouse so as far as getting time and a half after eight never what happened I’ve been waiting 13 years and again look at the supervision at your facilities sorry guys be happy with what you got
Not sure what service center you are at, but I think you are off base saying that supervisors can't do their job. Maybe some aren't the best, but for the most part I'm impressed with them.