Pitt-Ohio | P&D Drivers and Dockworkers Will Now Be Paid Time and a Half For All Hours Over 40 At Time Of Hire

I see your point in LTL.....but me personally I think the problem is with truckload paying that way....
I agree, mileage pay should just be one of many components of the compensation package. Where the truckload carriers fail is not compensating for other necessary and frequently performed tasks such as PTIs, fueling, drop/hooks and live load/unloads. Paying hourly wouldn’t be a solution if the hourly rate was low, the dollar amount is what determines how good or bad a pay package is regardless of how the pay is calculated.

My guess to that is their bodies just can't take it anymore. The older p&d guys at my place are just worn out
That’s definitely a factor for some, while for others it’s just not worth the stress and aggravation that comes with the job when the opportunity to reduce that stress while increasing their income is right there in front of them. That’s why I decided transfer after just 3 years on p&d. I personally think both positions should be compensated a bit more equally. When I see the phrase “east end” the first place that comes to mind is Long Island, where I was born and raised. Is that your east end as well?

I don’t know of any LTL that pays a premium over 40 hours to drivers that are not paid hourly. On the other hand, in most cases a linehaul driver’s pay works out to a higher hourly rate than what a p&d driver earns at the same company.
Does Calif require line drivers to be paid hourly?
If so, I wonder if they get time and a half? just curious.

I found this on a law firm’s website. There’s that “exemption” word again: “ In California, the general rule is that all employees are entitled to overtime for work in excess of eight (8) hours per day and/or forty (40) hours a week, unless they can fit within a specified exemption. As to truck drivers, California has laid out a specific exemption for payment of overtime requirements if a driver's hours are regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation under Title 49, Sections 395.1 to 395.13, or regulated by Title 13 of the California Code of Regulations, subchapter 6.5, section 1200 et seq. If a driver and/or their haul fails to fall within any of the exemptions, overtime payment under California's requirements must be provided.”

That’s definitely a factor for some, while for others it’s just not worth the stress and aggravation that comes with the job when the opportunity to reduce that stress while increasing their income is right there in front of them. That’s why I decided transfer after just 3 years on p&d. I personally think both positions should be compensated a bit more equally. When I see the phrase “east end” the first place that comes to mind is Long Island, where I was born and raised. Is that your east end as well?
Yes Born and raised on the East End of Long Island. Past Riverhead in Mattituck. Moved to Pa in august 1993

Yes Born and raised on the East End of Long Island. Past Riverhead in Mattituck. Moved to Pa in august 1993
I was born in Mineola and my family’s roots are in Westbury. We later moved to Port Jefferson Station (considered the boonies at the time in 1970) and then the Shirley/Mastic area. Also 8 years in Queens, Manhattan, and Bronx boroughs of the city before moving to PA in 1992.

some LTL's transferred their L/H drivers to hourly pay in Ca. so they dont have to fight with the state. Others make sure their drivers get paid for all non driving( fueling, drop/hook, shop, etc) that way there is no uncompensated time.

I'm a city driver in Ca (L.A area) for FXF our L/H drivers make $37.82 an hour no OT no pay for fueling or hooks. When they work the dock they drop down to City pay $30.98 and when they go back to driving they go back up to L/H pay.

I'm a city driver in Ca (L.A area) for FXF our L/H drivers make $37.82 an hour no OT no pay for fueling or hooks. When they work the dock they drop down to City pay $30.98 and when they go back to driving they go back up to L/H pay.
A lot better than my wife's allowance for me.

Hiring a few new employees doesn’t matter much if you can’t retain what you have. And I think that the top of the company really tries to do what’s right by his employees. So I think most of us are anticipating a good raise this year.

Hiring a few new employees doesn’t matter much if you can’t retain what you have. And I think that the top of the company really tries to do what’s right by his employees. So I think most of us are anticipating a good raise this year.
I feel the same. Time and a half after 40 hours from day one definitely made them more competitive, but it affects a small percentage of the total workforce at any given time who are in their first 3 years of employment while having no impact on those who have reached top rate. Hopefully there will be an increase that will put the rest of us closer to what others are making as well.

5% raise.

5% raise. I have worked in LTL for 17 years and would quit tomorrow if given the chance.

I feel the same. Time and a half after 40 hours from day one definitely made them more competitive, but it affects a small percentage of the total workforce at any given time who are in their first 3 years of employment while having no impact on those who have reached top rate. Hopefully there will be an increase that will put the rest of us closer to what others are making as well.
5% would be a good raise, especially for new guys who just got the bump to OT after 40. How does that work out for LH ?

some LTL's transferred their L/H drivers to hourly pay in Ca. so they dont have to fight with the state. Others make sure their drivers get paid for all non driving( fueling, drop/hook, shop, etc) that way there is no uncompensated time.
There is plenty of "others " that pay mileage and nothing else