P-I-E LIVES!

Maislin did that also but on a slightly smaller scale...

MaislinNewTractors.md.jpg
That's an impressive line up. Only new once then the thrashing begins. Always killed me that guys wouldn't even try to take care of a tractor. Had a local P&D driver at one place I worked who got cockroaches in his tractor. He went on vacation & the guy who covered his bid called dispatch on the radio & told them there were roaches trying to steal his lunch. Shop had to fume the tractor.

That's an impressive line up. Only new once then the thrashing begins. Always killed me that guys wouldn't even try to take care of a tractor. Had a local P&D driver at one place I worked who got cockroaches in his tractor. He went on vacation & the guy who covered his bid called dispatch on the radio & told them there were roaches trying to steal his lunch. Shop had to fume the tractor.
When we got the Astros (or the Titans, I forget which came first) Maislin had them ordered with CB antennas already permanently installed in the roofs so we wouldn't have to goof around installing our own on every trip. Of course it wasn't long before they were being stolen, broken, or otherwise destroyed. As Pogo once said, we have met the enemy and he is us!

When we got the Astros (or the Titans, I forget which came first) Maislin had them ordered with CB antennas already permanently installed in the roofs so we wouldn't have to goof around installing our own on every trip. Of course it wasn't long before they were being stolen, broken, or otherwise destroyed. As Pogo once said, we have met the enemy and he is us!
We had the same problem at Ryder, all the bulldogs were stolen off the Macks the first month.
Ryder was bad about buying trucks with different equipment.
The fleet may have 3 different water pumps, different alternators, or anything.
When you had a breakdown, they never knew what fit a particular truck
Johnson Motor lines of Charlotte had the best setup on their trucks.
Each unit tractor or trailer had identical parts.

I remember when my father had one 26 series in around 86 or 87 the passenger side front hub froze up and the whole wheel hub brake drum and tire came off. He was coming back to Dallas from Houston. It crossed the median and hit 2 vehicles going southbound. The van took the brunt of it. Massive injuries in the van. They sued PIE and my father was named in the lawsuit. PIE gave him a Safe Driving Award for not rolling the set over. He said he stood up in a Freightliner cabover held on to the wheel and rode it down the shoulder on the straight axle till it stopped. Ill never forget that. His name was removed from the lawsuit after the Jim Adlers figured out he did not maintain the equipment go figure.

I remember when my father had one 26 series in around 86 or 87 the passenger side front hub froze up and the whole wheel hub brake drum and tire came off. He was coming back to Dallas from Houston. It crossed the median and hit 2 vehicles going southbound. The van took the brunt of it. Massive injuries in the van. They sued PIE and my father was named in the lawsuit. PIE gave him a Safe Driving Award for not rolling the set over. He said he stood up in a Freightliner cabover held on to the wheel and rode it down the shoulder on the straight axle till it stopped. Ill never forget that. His name was removed from the lawsuit after the Jim Adlers figured out he did not maintain the equipment go figure.
A man should have an award of some type for just driving one of those models!

Ah…the good old rag tops. Reminds of earlier days in my LTL career when I delivered a trailer full of steel for St. Johnsbury Trucking that had to be unloaded with a crane. What night mare it was getting the top.buttoned back up after

Back in the good old days, I shaped at different jobs (including St. J) when it was slow at my seniority job. One time shaping at Eastern Freightways I was told the day before to report again the next day for work. When I did, there was unexpectedly no run for me. Dispatcher told me to go to the shop and help put tarps on a couple of rag top trailers. I did and when I finished after not too long a time, they told me to go home. Good people back then, got me the day's pay for not a lot of work.

From the video...1950's version of GPS Tracking?!

PXL_20211029_040515453.md.jpg
We had these in some of our trucks, but Ryder never used discs in them.
Back in the good old days, I shaped at different jobs (including St. J) when it was slow at my seniority job. One time shaping at Eastern Freightways I was told the day before to report again the next day for work. When I did, there was unexpectedly no run for me. Dispatcher told me to go to the shop and help put tarps on a couple of rag top trailers. I did and when I finished after not too long a time, they told me to go home. Good people back then, got me the day's pay for not a lot of work.
Charlotte's service isle had a device you stretched out the tarp, lifted it with a hoist, pulled the trailer underneath, 2 men could tarp it in no time.
In the Ryder days, many of our rag tops never saw a tarp.
We transported Nike missiles from Char to Cape Canaveral, they were 14+ high.

We had these in some of our trucks, but Ryder never used discs in them.

Charlotte's service isle had a device you stretched out the tarp, lifted it with a hoist, pulled the trailer underneath, 2 men could tarp it in no time.
In the Ryder days, many of our rag tops never saw a tarp.
We transported Nike missiles from Char to Cape Canaveral, they were 14+ high.
Ahh!!! The tachographs.I had a master key for them ,That a supervisor gave me ,Because he was too lazy to retrieve the card.I never gave it back.LOL.He asked me a week later ,Where is my key ,I left It on the counter for you.Someone must have taken it.We never gave them the right cards anyway.We would have the girls in the office fish them out of the basket.Unless one of the soups used it as a spittoon