P-I-E LIVES!

I was an Ops Mgr for Branch, who had many opentops plus flats.
Not unusual for a driver not to spread his canvas after delivery and would bring it back home. Three man job to spread it properly--forklift driver, another standing on the blades to spread the canvas and another of us hanging on the chains to pull the trailer sides together so to hook up the cross chains...Definitely not OSHA approved method.
The flats we would load back south with drum freight and not canvas the load.
Branch at that time had reefers too when they purchased Rodgers out of Scranton.

Ahh!!! The tachographs.I had a master key for them ,That a supervisor gave me ,Because he was too lazy to retrieve the card.I never gave it back.LOL.He asked me a week later ,Where is my key ,I left It on the counter for you.Someone must have taken it.We never gave them the right cards anyway.We would have the girls in the office fish them out of the basket.Unless one of the soups used it as a spittoon
Although we never ran discs in ours, every tach had holes drilled so you could insert a pin and the needle wouldn't go past 55 mph.
I assume Great Southern drivers did this before Ryder acquired G S.

That's an impressive line up. Only new once then the thrashing begins. Always killed me that guys wouldn't even try to take care of a tractor. Had a local P&D driver at one place I worked who got cockroaches in his tractor. He went on vacation & the guy who covered his bid called dispatch on the radio & told them there were roaches trying to steal his lunch. Shop had to fume the tractor.
Next guy senior to me took dock bid, I got his unit. Spent first day and at least an hour each morning for the rest of the week cleaning out trash, spare change and cigarette butts. TM couldn’t say squat, he was aware of the piggish behavior.

for city delevery trailers back in the day supervisers could put a meterbox in the front of the trailer that could detect from vibrations of the truck running how long the trailer was stoped and engine turned off and then started. just to check how long a driver was at a stop i would guess . .

for city delevery trailers back in the day supervisers could put a meterbox in the front of the trailer that could detect from vibrations of the truck running how long the trailer was stoped and engine turned off and then started. just to check how long a driver was at a stop i would guess . .
I recall those being in some of the straight city trucks.
Not sure if Ryder used them often.
We had the old Tachgrafs in some road units, but they never rad recording discs after Ryder acquired them.