P T S D disqualification?

pilot108

TB Regular
Credits
I have a friend that interviewed for a driving job. One of the questions they ask was had he ever been diagnosed with ptsd. He said yes and the interview was done. He was told he was disqualifide from driving a cmv. Ive never heard this before.

I have a friend that interviewed for a driving job. One of the questions they ask was had he ever been diagnosed with ptsd. He said yes and the interview was done. He was told he was disqualifide from driving a cmv. Ive never heard this before.
although you (or he) did not elaborate more, it could be that he is on a controlled drug not allowed under the FMCSR....

section 391.15

(ii) Driving a commercial motor vehicle under the influence of a 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule Iidentified controlled substance, an amphetamine, a narcotic drug, a formulation of an amphetamine, or a derivative of a narcotic drug;

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/391.15

and this may be of some help.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/orangebook.pdf

although you (or he) did not elaborate more, it could be that he is on a controlled drug not allowed under the FMCSR....

section 391.15

(ii) Driving a commercial motor vehicle under the influence of a 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule Iidentified controlled substance, an amphetamine, a narcotic drug, a formulation of an amphetamine, or a derivative of a narcotic drug;

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/391.15

and this may be of some help.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/orangebook.pdf
No,he is not on any drugs. His problems stem from 1 tour in iraq and 2 in afganistan. Ive never heard of this question being asked before. He was going for a job at "pumpkin".

No,he is not on any drugs. His problems stem from 1 tour in iraq and 2 in afganistan. Ive never heard of this question being asked before. He was going for a job at "pumpkin".
ok, this can be good/bad, that he is not on any doctor prescribed meds for this.

i have never been asked such a question myself, but after one answers the question, "have you ever been in the service", that must be the "go ahead" to dig deeper. since i am no vet, it stops there.

the company may be going under an "assumption" that he is indeed on meds, which is wrong to assume anything without further questions.

i really do not know of any legal action he (or anyone can take). the company can always just say.."you don't qualify", and that's all....

all i can say/mention, is that if he is as ok and fine as can be, then DO NOT MENTION this anymore, on ANY applications.

if something happens at a later time, like he have some sort or nervous breakdown, it can be said THEN, that it finally "hit him"......

i am not an attorney, or an attorney spokesman, but i can assure you, that every other trucker out there is.......either that, or former NAVY SEAL or Special OPs...or former RANGER, or former Green Berets, or an onion peeler.

he can seek "legal advice" from an attorney very familiar with employment discrimination and see what he/she has to say.

but i am not sure (again) he has any legal standing on this.

tell him (if you wish), that i wish him the very best in obtaining a job.

Lie....lie....and lie moore....

"You don't say that in an interview "...
That was my reaction. He is not a litigious person, was just caught off guard by the question and decided truth was the best policy. So now we know how to answer in the future.

ok, this can be good/bad, that he is not on any doctor prescribed meds for this.

i have never been asked such a question myself, but after one answers the question, "have you ever been in the service", that must be the "go ahead" to dig deeper. since i am no vet, it stops there.

the company may be going under an "assumption" that he is indeed on meds, which is wrong to assume anything without further questions.

i really do not know of any legal action he (or anyone can take). the company can always just say.."you don't qualify", and that's all....

all i can say/mention, is that if he is as ok and fine as can be, then DO NOT MENTION this anymore, on ANY applications.

if something happens at a later time, like he have some sort or nervous breakdown, it can be said THEN, that it finally "hit him"......

i am not an attorney, or an attorney spokesman, but i can assure you, that every other trucker out there is.......either that, or former NAVY SEAL or Special OPs...or former RANGER, or former Green Berets, or an onion peeler.

he can seek "legal advice" from an attorney very familiar with employment discrimination and see what he/she has to say.

but i am not sure (again) he has any legal standing on this.

tell him (if you wish), that i wish him the very best in obtaining a job.
But there is a chance, should they pull his medical records, it would show. It seems to me, that everyone is looking to prevent everything before it happens. A lot of places will not hire you because of a not so good credit report.

Having PTSD is a death sentence. ..in a way.
Never findING lEgit work is your future.
Tattoos in paradise. .lol..is another.
But "Most Soldiers" just wanna be left alone once they realize there meek future.

....just saying

But there is a chance, should they pull his medical records, it would show. It seems to me, that everyone is looking to prevent everything before it happens. A lot of places will not hire you because of a not so good credit report.
all i am thinking, they will check his discharge papers, (honorable or otherwise) as far as medical conditions if he can pass a DOT, i would be thinking, he is good to go, as DOT exams do not ask such questions. .so, that's where it may stay. if he were to be in a major wreck, maybe some lawyer can dig deeper. but like i said, he's far better off speaking with a lawyer very familiar with employment discrimination.

i say "chance it" and STFU about it.

I don't think an employer can legally ask that question or any other question about disabilities. An employer can require a physical & drug test. If the applicant will be driving a commercial vehicle a DOT physical is required. If he was honorably discharged that is all the information he is required to give. This really ticks me off. A veteran shouldn't have to defend his military service.
I will check the language in the Disabilities Act but there are rules against discrimination of any kind. It was often difficult for Vietnam veterans to find a job. People were afraid of us & assumed we were all hooked on drugs & might go crazy & start shooting anybody that we didn't like.
I would be interested to know who this employer is. Tell your friend to go to a place that wants to hire veterans & appreciates his service. Many carriers are seeking veterans because they are often reliable & are mature enough to wipe their own butts.
An article in the business section of the local paper interviewed several trucking firms about hiring veterans. The companies said they were dependable, mature & could make decisions on their own. It also said most had worked weekends & didn't whine when a work week wasn't always Mon-Fri 9 to 5.
Let me know how this plays out for your friend.

He should make up his mind, one minute he is bat ::shit:: crazy and deserves a PTSD check one a month, the next minute he's all better and wants to trusted to show up for work one day and not be an active shooter. Most of PTSD checks are issued to lazy drunks.

Last edited:
pilot108,
Not being familiar with legalities of interviews, I do however believe the interviewer crossed the line by asking such question and there might well be grounds for a lawsuit.
--considering what people have sued over and WON and are suing over......--
- - - -
He should make up his mind, one minute he is bat :::shit::: crazy and deserves a PTSD check one a month, the next minute he's all better and wants to trusted to show up for work one day and not be an active shooter. Most of PTSD checks are issued to lazy drunks.
Peculiar, yet your input seems similar to what, by your avatar, may appear to be, your presidential choice, who likes to toss people into "classifications" with no basis other than 5th grade (or lower) conclusions. He appears to glaringly suffer from Pathetic Thoughtless Stupidity Disease which is probably most effectively (as he's "special" ) treated with solitary confinement.

Not all Drunks are lazy. MANY work in the District of Criminals.

I, being a former DRUNKARD and as well NEVER in the Military, have never nor shall I ever in the future, apply for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatment or "checks", nor will I ever, if asked, answer such question or ANY medical question to a non confirmed Medical Practitioner.

P.T.S.D. IS A AFFLICTION and has not been accepted/diagnosed/treated in countless War Veterans back to WWII.

There are MANY Military Veteran Drivers for MANY COMPANIES that do suffer P.T.S.D. problems especially when some dispatchers/shippers/receivers/other drivers get all whiny, agitated, threatening, yelling over nothing.

Last edited:
pilot108,
Not being familiar with legalities of interviews, I do however believe the interviewer crossed the line by asking such question and there might well be grounds for a lawsuit.
--considering what people have sued over and WON and are suing over......--
- - - -

Peculiar, yet your input seems similar to what, by your avatar, may appear to be, your presidential choice, who likes to toss people into "classifications" with no basis other than 5th grade (or lower) conclusions. He appears to glaringly suffer from Pathetic Thoughtless Stupidity Disease which is probably most effectively (as he's "special" ) treated with solitary confinement.

Not all Drunks are lazy. MANY work in the District of Criminals.

I, being a former DRUNKARD and as well NEVER in the Military, have never nor shall I ever in the future, apply for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatment or "checks", nor will I ever, if asked, answer such question or ANY medical question to a non confirmed Medical Practitioner.

P.T.S.D. IS A AFFLICTION and has not been accepted/diagnosed/treated in countless War Veterans back to WWII.

There are MANY Military Veteran Drivers for MANY COMPANIES that do suffer P.T.S.D. problems especially when some dispatchers/shippers/receivers/other drivers get all whiny, agitated, threatening, yelling over nothing.

Lygw20L.jpg

We have lots of drivers getting money for PTSD. I personally don't see anything wrong with them but they're getting lots of money for it

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is in its own category and not to be confused with Schizophrenia or Paranoia.

There are afflictions that do not present in the visible realm such as Fibromyalgia.

Just because someone "looks okay" does not mean such person "is okay".
Many people "look okay" yet, I'll bet, their insides (personalities) look like bags of sharp rocks with bits of glass as well a shuriken tossed in.

I believe everyone has some form of P. T. S. D. what with all the negativity in Humanity.
- - - -
I am not a medical practitioner nor psychological doctor nor do I represent either.
I am merely making statements from what I have learned from knowing People having P. T. S. D. as well Fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia ain't nothing but a waste of tax dollars. Should be called, Happy housewife disease

GREETINGS,

Well, the mentioned "Happy Housewife disease" does not promote "happy" for the "Housewives" that have Fibro.
Some "Doctors" would agree with you and it's sad we, in Amerika, have such "Doctors".

Under the "waste of tax dollars" are these 2 "wastes" by the fumbling feds: The "war" on drugs, the "war" on (your choice of one) Homelessness, Hunger, Education, neither of which has EVER proven useful.