R&L | Pallet Jacks; Manual Or Electric?

I know, it’s probably just my Borderline Personality meter kicking in here but;
This guy jumps at any chance he can get to tell us of all his magical accomplishments......

At the expense of inciting the furor of our administrator, I have to say this.....
This guy is full of diesel fuel.
Your last couple posts make me feel like you are upset. I responded to your thread to encourage not discourage. I'm done responding to your thread. Good luck.

You know what rookie I have had your back here. I don't come here to raise eyebrows just inform men like you that there is a rainbow in some aspects of the work world. I have always said R+L is ok. I said to you that if you had a few years in the pension you MIGHT be smart going back. I just thought I'd say to you that a teamsters union pension is as good as ANY OF US CAN EXPECT. And btw you did say you were a union painter but they don't need pallet jacks do they. Take it easy. I'm on your side.
Well newbie, there’s not alot of informing to be done here, especially to this here dog that’s been in the workforce since 1978, and an active union member in the Painters and Allied Trades for going on 32 years. I’ve already mentioned that unions are important; so much so that without them, we the workers have absolutely no protection from our employers. And unfortunately, along with the private workforce being likely less than the projected 4% by government statistics, this country’s workers are screwed and subjected to any wage (or lack of) and conditions that any employer feels like paying and offering......And we’ve lost the battle, at least for now, to improve on any type of collective bargaining growth; picket, vote, organize, salt, all you want.... nothing will do any good in our lifetimes.

Now, I’ve decided to start my new career driving exclusively here in N. Carolina, mainly due to the warmer weather along with cheaper housing. Have you ever been in the southeast? There is almost no union down here at all; as in very, very little choices available. Why do you think that most new manufacturing jobs are nearly all here in the south? It’s because most of the natives down here work really cheap and accept whatever is given them...like really low pay and expensive benefits. Since N. Carolina is a ‘Right to Work’ (for less) state, most workers have little choice down here other than to work (non-union)... or to starve.

Your advice, though possibly well meaning, has also been ignorant, ill-informed, and over-zealous. It would be wise of you to study up on your information in the future so that you actually have something of value and worth to write about.

Ok, that's enough you two. Continue and this thread gets shut down and that rarely happens here so do me a favor and stop. While we are at it, enough Union talk too.

Would....ahh......that be a company-paid-for-and-maintained one?
No it would be the one I own and lock up every night that the company maintains at no cost to me. Eliminates the worry of having a favorite or some looser senior to me based on time hogging the good equipment and me being stuck with a fifteen year old company owned non maintained hunk of junk. Kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion.

On top of that after almost ten years if I did decide to leave or take a cushy daytime linehaul non bag out turn run, I can sell the jack for about .30 cents on the dollar or turn it in to a nice toy mover around the house when I can't hog the boats of the fleet around by force, albeit with a little fab work to do that.

No it would be the one I own and lock up every night that the company maintains at no cost to me. Eliminates the worry of having a favorite or some looser senior to me based on time hogging the good equipment and me being stuck with a fifteen year old company owned non maintained hunk of junk. Kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Have you had any issues with the mirrors, or visors on your Crown?

Do
Do the dock workers buy their own forklifts or do the just rent them? Why can't you have assigned jacks with accountability?

And would there be a liability issue if ....your....pallet jack caused an injury or property damage on a customer's property?

I can see the Lawyers circling like vultures.........

And ,...I can tell you as someone who worked as a Union Steward,......when something happens on the public streets, there is a whole world of Liability that opens up.......I know this for a fact.

I had a home equity loan almost denied,....because the company attorneys refused to settle a case,...and then didn't bother to inform me, even though I was a defendant in the case. We had a civil trial,...and the attorneys told me it was a "done issue"....as far as I was concerned...

And the attorneys didn't consider me.."important".. enough to keep me informed of an ongoing lawsuit.

Luckily, there is language in the contract subsuming any liability incurred while in the faithful discharge of my duties........
I was able to tackle the TM,...get the company attorneys on the phone,...and get a letter sent to the bank,...and a complete exoneration.....within 15 minutes........

In Writing........(...And yes,...I still have it....)...

I think I'd prefer any ownership and maintenance be the responsibility of the Company. And,.....if I was forced to take a junky pallet jack out on the street because the company can't be bothered to provide ALL employees with the proper equipment....
.....I think I would have to.....work and use that junky pallet jack a lot slower,...and more carefully,....than I would a better piece of equipment.

Liability is no joke.......

And would there be a liability issue if ....your....pallet jack caused an injury or property damage on a customer's property?

I can see the Lawyers circling like vultures.........

And ,...I can tell you as someone who worked as a Union Steward,......when something happens on the public streets, there is a whole world of Liability that opens up.......I know this for a fact.

I had a home equity loan almost denied,....because the company attorneys refused to settle a case,...and then didn't bother to inform me, even though I was a defendant in the case. We had a civil trial,...and the attorneys told me it was a "done issue"....as far as I was concerned...

And the attorneys didn't consider me.."important".. enough to keep me informed of an ongoing lawsuit.

Luckily, there is language in the contract subsuming any liability incurred while in the faithful discharge of my duties........
I was able to tackle the TM,...get the company attorneys on the phone,...and get a letter sent to the bank,...and a complete exoneration.....within 15 minutes........

In Writing........(...And yes,...I still have it....)...

I think I'd prefer any ownership and maintenance be the responsibility of the Company. And,.....if I was forced to take a junky pallet jack out on the street because the company can't be bothered to provide ALL employees with the proper equipment....
.....I think I would have to.....work and use that junky pallet jack a lot slower,...and more carefully,....than I would a better piece of equipment.

Liability is no joke.......
And an elf could pop out of my belly button. Life is a gamble and though I'm not a gambling man, I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that my pallet jack will not get me in a liability pinch. Union is not the answer to all problems.i think my original answer stands on its own in the real world.

And an elf could pop out of my belly button. Life is a gamble and though I'm not a gambling man, I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that my pallet jack will not get me in a liability pinch. Union is not the answer to all problems.i think my original answer stands on its own in the real world.

Better wear one of those maternity belly bands,......Keep them little fellas from spilling out!

Union is not the answer to all problems,...I'll agree with that. But it sure is a good deterrent for Employment-at-Will abuses......

I am not a gambler, either......Especially with my families' finances. In 42 years of trucking....Union , non-Union, Owner/Operator.......I can safely say that......trucking is the most litigacious occupation in the World,...if not the U.S.
I'm sure you've seen the ambulance-chasing lawyer commercials on TV,....about how dangerous big trucks are,....and how they will help you "sue", to get your....fair share.......

You don't see many commercials like that about plumbing,...or steel workers,.....or electricians.......

I had a saying......."Most guys don't think about joining a Union,...until a half-hour after they're Fired,...or a week after they Retired..."
You don't "need" a Union,.........until you....Need...a Union.......

But,...This shouldn't be about Unions......This should be about employers providing properly maintained equipment so the employee could do a professional job............Without worrying about availability,...maintenance,...ownership,...or payments to own.....

A personal "beef" I had with the Teamsters was that,.......a condition of employment was that I pay for and maintain my CDL HAZ-MAT qualifications. Those qualifications meant nothing to me personally,.....and Everything to the Company. Why aren't we reimbursed for a Federally-required license?.........I know that some of the non-Unions reimburse their employees for HAZ-MAT. Always dissappointed me that the Teamsters didn't force employers to do the same.

When employees start....offering....to pay for....equipment, special licenses,.....cell phone services for COMPANY dispatch to use......it becomes a real slippery slope........

And then there's the Liability..........You sure you're not a Gambling Man?

Better wear one of those maternity belly bands,......Keep them little fellas from spilling out!

Union is not the answer to all problems,...I'll agree with that. But it sure is a good deterrent for Employment-at-Will abuses......

I am not a gambler, either......Especially with my families' finances. In 42 years of trucking....Union , non-Union, Owner/Operator.......I can safely say that......trucking is the most litigacious occupation in the World,...if not the U.S.
I'm sure you've seen the ambulance-chasing lawyer commercials on TV,....about how dangerous big trucks are,....and how they will help you "sue", to get your....fair share.......

You don't see many commercials like that about plumbing,...or steel workers,.....or electricians.......

I had a saying......."Most guys don't think about joining a Union,...until a half-hour after they're Fired,...or a week after they Retired..."
You don't "need" a Union,.........until you....Need...a Union.......

But,...This shouldn't be about Unions......This should be about employers providing properly maintained equipment so the employee could do a professional job............Without worrying about availability,...maintenance,...ownership,...or payments to own.....

A personal "beef" I had with the Teamsters was that,.......a condition of employment was that I pay for and maintain my CDL HAZ-MAT qualifications. Those qualifications meant nothing to me personally,.....and Everything to the Company. Why aren't we reimbursed for a Federally-required license?.........I know that some of the non-Unions reimburse their employees for HAZ-MAT. Always dissappointed me that the Teamsters didn't force employers to do the same.

When employees start....offering....to pay for....equipment, special licenses,.....cell phone services for COMPANY dispatch to use......it becomes a real slippery slope........

And then there's the Liability..........You sure you're not a Gambling Man?
Positive. Rather keep my job easy with my high quality, well maintained pallet jack much as a quality electrician, plumber, or mechanic makes his job easy and safe by providing their own tools. R&L pays for my Haz Mat fingerprinting by the way. They communicate with me through the truck's MDT and my cell phone is only used for MY convenience.

Positive. Rather keep my job easy with my high quality, well maintained pallet jack much as a quality electrician, plumber, or mechanic makes his job easy and safe by providing their own tools. R&L pays for my Haz Mat fingerprinting by the way. They communicate with me through the truck's MDT and my cell phone is only used for MY convenience.

10-4! Watch those liftgate deliveries! The...Public.....sometimes aren't very honest, or discerning....a small minority, but,...once again, we're back to gambling.....

Don't run over any toes,..or chip a driveway brick.....I'm sure you've heard of a horror story or two.....

That's good they pay for your HAZ-MAT......a personal obsession of mine.....ALL companies that require it, should pay for it. Doesn't do me any good,..just food out of my families' mouth......(...Didn't,...retired,...dropped HAZ-MAT..)...

I always thought mechanics, electricians, and such...had a tool allowance re-imbursement program with their employers....At least most of the ones I know do...

And there are guys I know who work for R & L,....who talked to dispatch,....hourly, sometimes,....on their own phone......
I don't believe in that, and I'm glad you don't, either.......That's another..."slippery slope"........

10-4! Watch those liftgate deliveries! The...Public.....sometimes aren't very honest, or discerning....a small minority, but,...once again, we're back to gambling.....

Don't run over any toes,..or chip a driveway brick.....I'm sure you've heard of a horror story or two.....

That's good they pay for your HAZ-MAT......a personal obsession of mine.....ALL companies that require it, should pay for it. Doesn't do me any good,..just food out of my families' mouth......(...Didn't,...retired,...dropped HAZ-MAT..)...

I always thought mechanics, electricians, and such...had a tool allowance re-imbursement program with their employers....At least most of the ones I know do...

And there are guys I know who work for R & L,....who talked to dispatch,....hourly, sometimes,....on their own phone......
I don't believe in that, and I'm glad you don't, either.......That's another..."slippery slope"........
I get what you're driving at, honestly I just like sparring once in awhile. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to buy a pallet jack and all the tools required would be provided. Sadly those days are gone for the time being. Mind you I am not anti union. I grew up in a union household and family. Dad was a driver and retired out of the UAW. Grew up in the Great Lakes area. Almost everyone of my relatives were/are Teamsters, UAW, Fireman, Cop, City worker, or a Teacher. Every single one was a member of a Union in the generation prior to me. I'm 50. Members of my family in my generation or younger, not a one of us is a union member. I was a Teamster when I started off at CFCC Toledo Breakbulk in the dock. Lost my job at the Merger with ABF. Relocated and was working casual trying to get on at a CF barn, never got hired because the union decided to protect a functional drunk and also decided not to file to get me on when CF tripped the hiring mechanism regardless of the functional drunk. But alas, even if the union had done their job and filed to get me on or to remove the safety hazard of the functional drunk, we see where I would've ended up on a sad Labor Day. So I am not pro union or anti union, I am simply pro Me! R&L fits well with that philosophy, I go out, make them money, make me money, I leave them alone and they leave me alone. The day that changes, down the road I go. My dad was mad at me after the CF debacle that I didn't try to get on at the then Big R barn nearest me. I pulled tanker for awhile then went to a private fleet for awhile then finally R&L to finish out my ride. He didn't understand why I wouldn't try to get a "good union job". It is a tough transition and o believe my generation was the first to feel the full impact of the death of the unions across the board and the rise of what we have now. I think organized labor may rise again, but I'll probably be retired at that point. History doesn't repeat but it does rhyme, the Amazon and Uber's of the world will get there comeuppance.

R&L doesn’t reimburse us in the South for Hazmat & fingerprinting. It’s crazy how different the policies are in other regions.