Pitt-Ohio | pallet jacks

carterbeauford

TB Lurker
Credits
City driver at WMS here. We have a new TM who by all account is doing a great job. Working pallet jacks seem to be a line item on a budget. I don't understand how such a well managed company will not supply us with the tools required to do our job. We had a few new Palletsmith jacks but they are junk and last a month. Many days I go without one, if I have one, it's broken and won't move heavy freight and I have to borrow one from a customer wasting time, making me and the company look bad, and risking injury. Crown makes the best pallet jack and if I had one of those to use every day the job would be much easier.

It’s been almost 10 years since I was in the city but back then everyone had an assigned pallet Jack and 2 wheeler which they locked up at night. There is no excuse for any driver to leave on a p&d run without a working pallet jack unless they are in a Sprinter van and I’m sure your TM knows this. You have valid points about needing the tools for the job and how unprofessional it looks to customers. Hopefully, this is not the norm the issue will be addressed soon.

It’s been almost 10 years since I was in the city but back then everyone had an assigned pallet Jack and 2 wheeler which they locked up at night. There is no excuse for any driver to leave on a p&d run without a working pallet jack unless they are in a Sprinter van and I’m sure your TM knows this. You have valid points about needing the tools for the job and how unprofessional it looks to customers. Hopefully, this is not the norm the issue will be addressed soon.
At Pyle we always had Crown, then a new purchasing guy found cheap ones to save money. None lasted more than a month. After 3 months back to Crown and quality. All our drivers lock their equipment up nightly also.

I believe pallet jacks are literally the only thing I’ve not heard city drivers complain about in col.
Prior to the PGH terminal being relocated, the company that repaired the company’s pallet jacks was served by WSH. We were in there at least once per week making pickups and deliveries of our own equipment and I don’t recall ever not having enough working jacks but as is often the case, every terminal has their own way of doing things. I will say that broken jacks can be some of the worst freight to have to work with lol.

Heard from one of my fellow drivers that you guys are using power pj's that look like a standard pj. It can move 3k skids. Wondering what make/model those would be? Here at Estes, I'm trying to get one.

I don’t think something like that would be needed often enough to justify the price and whatever the increased cost of ownership would be. Here’s an example of what I believe you are talking about with a cost of more than $1000 over a hydraulic pallet jack.

770D7762-58F3-47B8-85AE-CB509BA5B08B.md.jpg

I don’t think something like that would be needed often enough to justify the price and whatever the increased cost of ownership would be. Here’s an example of what I believe you are talking about with a cost of more than $1000 over a hydraulic pallet jack.

770D7762-58F3-47B8-85AE-CB509BA5B08B.md.jpg
Exactly