XPO | Pallet Jacks?

Blue-done-4-U

TB Lurker
Credits
I see that R&L and Old Dominion and FedX sometimes have electric pallet jacks with them on city P&D do we have any that we can use? Most we have are old and broken.

I see that R&L and Old Dominion and FedX sometimes have electric pallet jacks with them on city P&D do we have any that we can use? Most we have are old and broken.
A buddy of mine got tired of loading and unloading freight, so he went and got a job where the freight loads and unloads itself.He is now a bus driver. See there is something for everybody if you look hard enought.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We used to pick up pallets of raw steel for John Deere at a local vendor. Anywhere from 7-10 pallets totaling around 20k lbs..daily. No dock. The pallets were also wrapped around the top and bottom..so you had to fight to break the shrink wrap with the pallet jack before they’d move. I pleaded with management for an electric jack. I even threw out the safety card..It was an injury just waiting to happen. XPO came back with a hard no..too expensive.

We used to pick up pallets of raw steel for John Deere at a local vendor. Anywhere from 7-10 pallets totaling around 20k lbs..daily. No dock. The pallets were also wrapped around the top and bottom..so you had to fight to break the shrink wrap with the pallet jack before they’d move. I pleaded with management for an electric jack. I even threw out the safety card..It was an injury just waiting to happen. XPO came back with a hard no..too expensive.
How about asking your steel supplier to possibly double pallet his shipment. Have him shrink wrap pallets containing the steel. Then have him take the wrapped pallets and put them on good plain pallets. That way you’d have no issues with plastic under the pallet Jack wheels.

Problem solved, Right?

Then I would have came back with a hard NO when they gave me the pickup. I tell them I did a P.R.A. personal risk assessment and said it was unsafe for me to move this with the equipment I have

How about asking your steel supplier to possibly double pallet his shipment. Have him shrink wrap pallets containing the steel. Then have him take the wrapped pallets and put them on good plain pallets. That way you’d have no issues with plastic under the pallet Jack wheels.

Problem solved, Right?
Or if the shipper used steel strapping to properly fasten the steel to the pallets, and not being so cheap using shrink wrap.

Their own tariffs address this. Use their own words against them, drives them nutz.

I've worked for Old Dominion for years, I've yet to see a motorized pallet jack on a OD trailer or dock. R&L makes the driver buy his own Pallet Jack, I doubt to many of those guys are gonna shell out the money for an electric jack either.

Xph has 3 electric jacks. It came down to if they wanted the real heavy pallets moved / injury free then we needed electric jacks. Union made a request and we got them. Same with non power jacks. If you want freight delivered than we need the tools to do so. We are an extremely busy terminal though I can understand how non represented smaller barns would struggle to get the right tools. Xpo will not spend money unless forced too.

Considering the average workers comp claim is about $20,000. {I googled it}
This other site makes it quite a bit higher.
It would seem to me a reasonable investment.

And this is WHY we have to wear them "" useful Safety vests ""during electric pallet jack training !
maxresdefault.jpg

We don’t have tape or shrink wrap but we do have electric jacks. Never had a problem getting the tools to get the job done with Con-way. Lots of freight sits on the dock because we can’t secure it for transport. Stuff sits until it get so destroyed that it’s put in OS&d . Hell half of our dock is trashed freight and OS&D . I never in all my years seen a company that has such disregard for peoples property/freight . I still say if there was some investigation into what’s going on that criminal charges would be rampant. If you can’t handle people’s freight don’t pick it up. It’s that simple. Greed is the rule at XPO.