Parking and thirty min break

easttnhillbilly

TB Regular
Credits
Since I pull doubles it is extremely hard to find somewhere to park for my thirty min break just had to take it on the shoulder of a exit ramp because the two trucks stops in the area had all there pull thru spots taken the last loves had over 25 back in spots empty and every one of there pull thru's taken even had a crst truck cut me off to get the last pull thru bunch of inconsiderate drivers we have to have some where to park

Same problem on Ohio Pike. The spaces on the perimeter that are reserved for LCV's are usually full of truckload or eurotrash.

Since I pull doubles it is extremely hard to find somewhere to park for my thirty min break just had to take it on the shoulder of a exit ramp because the two trucks stops in the area had all there pull thru spots taken the last loves had over 25 back in spots empty and every one of there pull thru's taken even had a crst truck cut me off to get the last pull thru bunch of inconsiderate drivers we have to have some where to park
if you have a regular run pulling doubles, then maybe you need to voice your concerns for parking with the truck stop management or corporate.

but, even "if" they were to set aside parking for doubles only, you can rest assured that motorhomes/campers will take them up as well as the inconsiderate truckers.

truckstops are what they are, and depending on your specific run/location, then the old saying, "the early bird gets the worm" applies to you just as much as any other road driver.

here on the east coast, one had better be in a truckstop/rest area, no later than say 6 PM to get parking, and that INCLUDES fueling up first before you go and park.

this is where that insipid ruling about a mandatory 30 minute break irks me as the rest of the drivers out there.

on another note, can't you take that 30 minute break at one of your regular stops..??

this is what i do each and every night. no fuss, no muss.....

Even though I don't pull the wiggle wagons I can relate. It seem the lazy door swingers compete for the easy parking. Every where I go I see the front spaces full, idiots making parking spots that clog the entrance of the parking lot, and the back row is empty.

What a bunch of maroons.

Since I do a lot of oversize it can be difficult for me to snake my way past the lazy candy asses to get to the back, but once I do get back there it is always easy to tie up two spots with my wide load!

Maybe you need to become a bit more forceful for thirty minutes a night and be like those who cut you off.

if you have a regular run pulling doubles, then maybe you need to voice your concerns for parking with the truck stop management or corporate.

but, even "if" they were to set aside parking for doubles only, you can rest assured that motorhomes/campers will take them up as well as the inconsiderate truckers.

truckstops are what they are, and depending on your specific run/location, then the old saying, "the early bird gets the worm" applies to you just as much as any other road driver.

here on the east coast, one had better be in a truckstop/rest area, no later than say 6 PM to get parking, and that INCLUDES fueling up first before you go and park.

this is where that insipid ruling about a mandatory 30 minute break irks me as the rest of the drivers out there.

on another note, can't you take that 30 minute break at one of your regular stops..??

this is what i do each and every night. no fuss, no muss.....

I Run all over there's time I leave one term in the morning and don't see another stop until the end of the day as was the case today and with the e-log you have to take your break on time or it rats u out

Back those doubles into a spot geez! All kidding aside the petro in Joplin Mo used to have 3 or 4 spots designated for doubles and every night I went in there there were OTR drivers camped out there, they were clearly marked too, however, close to the building, a fat boy sweats ya know!

Back those doubles into a spot geez!

I've watched drivers back sets before. It is tricky, but it can be done. B doubles are certainly easier than an A double though. That converter dolly never wants to go where you want it to.

Some of our loads require a jeep with a double drop. One of our more seasoned drivers had one last year that he had to back into the customer's site to get loaded. He said it was like pushing a rope up a sewer pipe.

I've watched drivers back sets before. It is tricky, but it can be done. B doubles are certainly easier than an A double though. That converter dolly never wants to go where you want it to.

Some of our loads require a jeep with a double drop. One of our more seasoned drivers had one last year that he had to back into the customer's site to get loaded. He said it was like pushing a rope up a sewer pipe.
Its tough, you back doubles like you back a converter, ignore the kite and act like your backing the converter only, that back box will go where the gear does.

I Run all over there's time I leave one term in the morning and don't see another stop until the end of the day as was the case today and with the e-log you have to take your break on time or it rats u out

ok...so you "run all over".....you telling us that in your "run all over", you NEVER pass by a rest area, service area, an exit with a shopping mall..???

you do not have to wait till 8 hours is up, BEFORE you need to take a 30 minute break....

"How do you log the 30-minute break?

To be counted as a valid break (for compliance with the 8-hour/30-minute rule), it must be logged "off duty" or "sleeper berth." Any time that must be logged as “on duty” based on the definition of “on duty time” in section 395.2 cannot count as a valid break (except in the case of certain drivers transporting explosives who must “attend” the cargo and can use attendance time as their break). In general, to be “off duty” the driver must be free of all obligations and responsibilities and free to leave the premises.
Note that any kind of “off duty” or “sleeper berth” time will satisfy the rule. For example, a lunch break, a 10-hour break, time spent resting in a sleeper berth (even if used for the “split sleeper” option), or time spent resting in a parked vehicle will satisfy the break requirement in most cases. The key is that drivers must be relieved of all duty and responsibility and be free to walk away from the vehicle and cargo for the duration of the break."

Hours of Service New Rule Frequently Asked Questions - Transportation, Safety, Human Resources Compliance - J. J. Keller & Associates

so why not stop before 8 hours...??

i simply find it hard to believe you cannot find ANY place to park along your route.

you must not have too many years driving, not to have figured out much of where to pull off and park, even with a set of pups.

I havent really taken a 30 min. break since the reg. has changed. I dont need to, my dispatcher puts me on ignore status everyday for at least 30 min.

ok...so you "run all over".....you telling us that in your "run all over", you NEVER pass by a rest area, service area, an exit with a shopping mall..???

you do not have to wait till 8 hours is up, BEFORE you need to take a 30 minute break....

Hours of Service New Rule Frequently Asked Questions - Transportation, Safety, Human Resources Compliance - J. J. Keller & Associates

so why not stop before 8 hours...??

i simply find it hard to believe you cannot find ANY place to park along your route.

you must not have too many years driving, not to have figured out much of where to pull off and park, even with a set of pups.

I've got plenty of years in and I started looking after my sixth hour was hoping to get lunch did not pass any rest areas and the truck stops where full I know what the hours of service are you don't have to tell me I've probably got as many years on the road as you do if not more

I hear you easttnhillbilly it is hard to find some where to park a set in the middle of the night being that is when the majority of us LTL trucks are out and most everyone else is asleep. I run the same run and have my normal places to stop and some nights I can't get a place in them.

I've got plenty of years in and I started looking after my sixth hour was hoping to get lunch did not pass any rest areas and the truck stops where full I know what the hours of service are you don't have to tell me I've probably got as many years on the road as you do if not more

then pack a cooler there is your lunch. why do you need a truck stop to eat..??

again, if you know you ain't gonna get a parking space, and evidently you DO KNOW this on a daily basis, then you are not prepared. you waste more time searching for a parking space, then you would by just pulling over in a shopping mall, which there has to be MANY of them at exits nearly everywhere on your route/runs. shopping malls have food courts and bathrooms as well. i fail to believe that there isn't a shopping mall or some other place to park at ANY exit you pass by.

you are not going to get this past me, that you cannot find parking for as little as 30 minutes each and every shift you run.