FedEx Freight | Part Time Pay Raises

I understand their logic, trying to attract and retain dock workers who may become drivers via the DDC. But I'm also frustrated that a part-time dock position pays nearly the same as my bottom-GPD hourly rate. If FedEx Freight doesn't want its retention problem to start trickling down to smaller hubs and EOL centers, they need to finish killing off that bottom GPD pay scale this October. We've got a lot of guys looking at other opportunities already. If we hear more excuses this fall on why we're not worthy of a bump up to the next pay scale, I expect at least a couple will find something better for themselves.
Well get ready for more excuses, because they are coming.

Well get ready for more excuses, because they are coming.
Oh I'm sure they are. FedEx needs to be ready for a continued "driver shortage" in response. Because as we in the industry know, there is no shortage of drivers...just a shortage of drivers who stay in the industry, or who stay with FedEx in this case.

This is what that whole push to do away with the FLSA truck driver loophole is all about, by the way. If drivers were getting paid for all their time, the thinking goes, fewer drivers would leave the industry. I agree, to a point. But even if I get paid hourly for every minute I'm working, I'm still not gonna stick around forever if I can get a better deal elsewhere.

$2 an hour isn't going to make someone stay at a job they dread or even make them work harder. Our center manager told the inbound dock workers that he will expect $2 an hour more out of each of them. They don't even give an effort worth their current wage. We have such a high part time turnover rate it's nuts. The new generation of workers can't handle being reprimanded. We had one guys this week have a complete meltdown and walk out. Simply because he was taking to long so someone honked their horn at him. The work ethic of the new generation sucks. A lot of them don't care about the money. They live with their parents so it is like they get a part time job just to get out of the house for a few hours a day and have a little spending money. I can't wait to see how the future unfolds with these people!

$2 an hour isn't going to make someone stay at a job they dread or even make them work harder. Our center manager told the inbound dock workers that he will expect $2 an hour more out of each of them. They don't even give an effort worth their current wage. We have such a high part time turnover rate it's nuts. The new generation of workers can't handle being reprimanded. We had one guys this week have a complete meltdown and walk out. Simply because he was taking to long so someone honked their horn at him. The work ethic of the new generation sucks. A lot of them don't care about the money. They live with their parents so it is like they get a part time job just to get out of the house for a few hours a day and have a little spending money. I can't wait to see how the future unfolds with these people!
They have, NO, work ethics, pride in their work, or common sense.
What they do have is, $1,200 cell phones, 4 credit cards, a couch to lay on at home to order crap online because they are too lazy to even stop for groceries on their own, and a car they probably cannot afford.

What they do have is, $1,200 cell phones, 4 credit cards, a couch to lay on at home to order crap online because they are too lazy to even stop for groceries on their own, and a car they probably cannot afford.

Does texting a wife a shopping list count as being too lazy to stop for groceries?

Asking for a friend, of course :438:

One of our PT dock told me last night night that they got $1.35 raise. Would be nice if FT and drivers would get it! We've been told we're supposed to get an "inflation" raise but has yet to be confirmed or denied.

All this time I thought that's what wives are for!

This is probably one of the single most frustrating things I have read on here.

You're basically saying "I don't care about them, what about meeeeeeeeee. I want it! I Need something!" Even though this is exactly what happened for city drivers recently in a lot of metros to help be competitive, and I did not hear a single dock worker complain about them getting something but not the dock. The driver force here, and maybe its just more prevalent on these boards, is so negative immediately. This is GOOD news, our TEAM members are getting paid the wages they deserve.... It probably took to long to get there to be honest, but you hooking harder to stick it to the guys who had nothing to do with the decision? C'Mon. That's a child's answer to their parents saying no to going out so you start hitting your sibling because they were happy playing games. And trying to now turn it into "they should have loaded it right so it shouldnt matter", you're still in the wrong here.

I am going to guess you also didn't take the survey to make your voice heard because you would rather talk to those who agree with you so you can get validation about being upset over a perceived slight that in reality ISNT one.
I agree. This is good for the part time freight handlers. I remember when I was a part time freight handler in 2019 we didn’t even get a raise then in 2020 we only got a 15 cent raise. This raise for the part time freight handlers has been a long time coming.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing people get the money they deserve. But is it too much to ask to spread the love.

Also found out that they are bumping those full timers who have not yet made it to tier two to that tier. But the kicker is, it's only $0.70 more than a part timer. So what is the incentive too go to full-time?
If it makes you feel better part time team leaders got nothing so they’re only making a few cents more than part time freight handlers and a few cents less than full time freight handlers.

If it makes you feel better part time team leaders got nothing so they’re only making a few cents more than part time freight handlers and a few cents less than full time freight handlers.
Wow! I have a great idea, why doesn't the company pay everybody who does the same work, the same pay rate! Aww, no that might make some glorified college graduate's pea brain explode at Stupidity Central in Memphis!

One of our PT dock told me last night night that they got $1.35 raise. Would be nice if FT and drivers would get it! We've been told we're supposed to get an "inflation" raise but has yet to be confirmed or denied.
At my barn PT dock, mechanics, and office workers got raises. So far FT dock and drivers haven’t received anything.

At my center the part time dock workers didn't even get a raise not too long ago while everyone else did. The reason given was that they were already making enough as it is (that's seriously what our former terminal manager stated at the outbound pre-shift meeting).

Personally I don't have a problem with a part time dock raise. The disparity in pay between ft and pt in my region was over $6 per hour for doing the exact same work. In fact we had part timers training newcomers, running lanes as needed, and out in the yard moving trailers while working right up to 30 hours per week.

I realize my center might be lucky in this sense, but most of them do high quality work, especially given that they usually also have a 9-5 day job, school, kids, or in some cases all three.

Every job class has some bad apples, but in this case I say good for them.

ALL Dock & Driver's should be getting at least a 15% pay increase to keep up with Senile Joe Inflation rate , per my buddy & financial adviser 'Patel" , a 15% pay increase would be a break even point with inflation !