TForce | Pay bump for bottom and new hires

It’s not and never has been up to the discretion of each individual terminal manager. It could vary from terminal to terminal, but the decision isn’t made at such a low level. Mine was starting people out at one level before top, while a terminal 80 miles away was starting at the top.
A better way to phrase it would be the SCMs have an overwhelming amount of input in the decision. In the KC district, upper management isn’t unilaterally making these decisions without a request from the SCM. If a terminal is starting at tier 3, it’s because that’s what was requested. Maybe they run things differently in other districts, but that’s how they’re doing it out here.

The thing I don’t get is, I asked questions spoke to the union hall thought I did my homework before taking the job. The fact it’s 2 tier wage
Got my first day off today very slow I was told. Week 3 . Smh
That brings up another bait and switch I was told Upon hiring, that if they didn’t have road work you were guaranteed dock work at premium pay since it’s a red circle terminal. Come to find out that doesn’t apply to anyone hired after the date of the Current contract. I found that out the hard way

Two guys from my barn went over to Dominos pizza (CDL, not pizza delivery to houses) and from what i remember the pay and benefits BLOW ours away to the point where we really have no "benefits."

The have a 401K match (don't remember but i think it was 50%) vested immediately.
Free health/dental.
IIRC, pay blows ours away (think about that for a sec.; Not too many blow our pay away)
4 day work week, but can work more if wanted.

Granted, they work in the middle of the night and unload more boxes in one day then we probably do in a year. ****, they probably unload more boxes at their first stop then we do all year.

i do not remember the exact details but if i bump into them, i can surely find out.
You should get a job delivering pizza, if it's that good.

The benefits are great but benefits don't keep a roof over your families head or keep there bellies full.
True . But in Columbus, Oh they are starting Cdl Holders .Dock-driver or City P@D at $27-28 hour. Parttime and fulltime dock non cdl at 22 hour.

AT this pay rates with alittle bit of OT. There is money there now.

Minus the monthly cost of the benefits.

In my time I simply did without. If there was from time to time a ER or Trauma billing so be it. It was taken care of. I recall the monthly premiums being pretty expensive. In the mid 90's I was potentially billed 800 for three months BCBS and frankly that would have been two weeks worth of pay leaving 10 weeks to live on minus withholding. Some of which are failed weeks or expensive weeks vs tolling, lumpers and other costs.

Overall wages quit keeping pace after roughly 1975. Between 1984 I made 3.35 a hour minimum on my first job and 2001 OTR I was taking in about 4.52 or so when everything was counted and added up against the gross wages filed that year. Trucking has been exempt from OT since about 1934 and will remain so. Because its just impossible to pay say 50 a hour for LTL and City or more and 150K or more for OTR truckers annually. It wont happen.

Some terminals in Div 1 NE terminals are starting at $28!

i started off at $17.40 as you can see by my checks and only now am i barely "comfortable" financially-----as soon as a bill comes i can pay it whereas before i'd wait until due date to pay. This only started like 2-3 months ago for me.

This could be a great opportunity for someone looking for a good paying gig.

What a bunch of BS. Terminals 100 miles apart with a $7 difference in start pay. I'm working with a new hire at $17.80 trying to get them to up the ante to keep him. TM says his hands are tied, the Union won't let him. Same job, same pay,, Not so...

What a bunch of BS. Terminals 100 miles apart with a $7 difference in start pay. I'm working with a new hire at $17.80 trying to get them to up the ante to keep him. TM says his hands are tied, the Union won't let him. Same job, same pay,, Not so...
Your TM is probably telling you a whopper. The teamsters never say no to a member getting more money ! They get more money when the members get more money.

Your TM is probably telling you a whopper. The teamsters never say no to a member getting more money ! They get more money when the members get more money.
Absolutely is , the Union only sets a minimum. Rather lose a well preforming driver than pay a decent wage. Old habits die hard, not expecting much real change till all the UPS management has been sectioned out....

We needed 4 city drivers at a medium sized terminal. Our manager tried for 3 months to hire at $17.80 per hour not one person interviewed would work that cheap . Finally our RDO oked $25 an hour and we are now hiring experienced drivers . Supply = demand.

We needed 4 city drivers at a medium sized terminal. Our manager tried for 3 months to hire at $17.80 per hour not one person interviewed would work that cheap . Finally our RDO oked $25 an hour and we are now hiring experienced drivers . Supply = demand.
My place needs city road and dock! Starting guy's at 28 and still nobody wants it! FedEx up the street paying 30!

i feel hosed, in a way. But another way to look at it is, what was the potential new driver doing back when i started 6 yrs ago at $17.40? Certainly not making $28, because it wasn't offered back then.

i had to drink a lot of water (from my tap), work weekend gigs, eat cheap, drive cheap. i once, only once thankfully, had borrow from one credit card to pay another.

That's life at $17.40...............

$17 v. $28. That's at least $380-400 GROSS difference per week. BIG DIFFERENCE.

We have been getting propaganda messages on the DIAD every day. I guess they figure if we keep on hearing it over and over eventually we will believe it’s true. The bill count has dropped so much that we don’t need to hire.