pay changes

spongebob

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a question for other sysco houses regarding pay scales. here at harrisburg pa. Iwas hired 12/28/09 as a shuttle driver and was told i must work for 3 years at junior rate then after 3 years go to senior rate this was the main reason for accepting this position that in 3 years i would go to senior rate which averages out to between 10000$ and 12000$ now a week before my seniority date i was told by my supervisor and i quote (that was 3 years ago we did away with senior rate) but all the other shuttle driver went to senior rate after 3 years now my question is are any other houses doing this or is it only here where they really dont care about their employees.

my opinion is that you are screwed. without a contract, the company can dictate anything. do the peddle drivers get increases? is there any way to switch from shuttle to delivery? our contract states how much of an increase you get every year till full scale

Stonecold is right Spongebob, there isn't much you can do except go over your supervisors head and take it to HR, actually thats what I would do, you might actually get somewhere that way, I know at Fedex, HR was pretty good about fixing things that weren't right, IDK about Sysco, I'm under contract so I never deal with HR, they cut our incentive twice, they can do that, however they can't cut our hourly rate, so I try and throw around 58 cases per hour so I max my hours out, thats the only way I can make good money now, on the old ABC I could get out there and bust my tail and make good money, now with the cuts you gotta throw tons of cases, run lots of miles and be fast as lightning to make it good.

Last pay period I had over 3200 cases and my incentive was a tad over a thousand bucks, but my hourly was nearly 1300 dollars, I only worked 54 hrs in 5 days, back on ABC I would have done alot better, its nice having 2 options, I understand you don't and that sucks, but I believe what they are doing to you is wrong on a pretty high level, I would contact HR, if they fire you for that then there are other avenues to go, I don't know about your house but at ours they upped the referal to 1000 dollars, we can't hire anyone, I'm thinking our reputation has alot to do with that.

throw around 58 cases per hour

Man. In KC they just upped our minimum standards from 85 to 156/hr, writing up guys who've been here for a decade because they're coming up short regardless of why (customer delays etc). Big stops aren't a problem but it's the nickel and dimers that take 20 min to dig out that kill your time. All of us are ABC only so it doesn't cost them a dime more either.

Don't know what their end game is but it seems a little short-sided to penalize a guy who takes the time to do the job right, safely, and takes the time (HIS time since he's not paid hourly) to actually relate to the people who choose to put their money in our pockets.

Meant to also include this:
Spongebob we aren't union here either. What they're doing stinks. everyone's right, without a contract they can do what they want including getting rid of guys they think may cause them trouble (lawsuits, union organizing) down the road. Depending on how bad you need the job at the moment, prospects for other employment, and the "culture" (employee or company focused?) of your HR dept be careful about how you approach them.

Honestly local mgmnt's shown what they're made of. Even if HR works this one out for you you might want to keep an eye open for a better place to go because if they've done it once they're probably going to do it again down the road. Beautiful reality of being an "at will" employee. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

unfortunely all of you are correct i really need this job right now but i will be looking around for other opportunties. management lost all trust and respect not only from me but also other drivers from doing this underhanded prank.

Meant to also include this:
Spongebob we aren't union here either. What they're doing stinks. everyone's right, without a contract they can do what they want including getting rid of guys they think may cause them trouble (lawsuits, union organizing) down the road. Depending on how bad you need the job at the moment, prospects for other employment, and the "culture" (employee or company focused?) of your HR dept be careful about how you approach them.

Honestly local mgmnt's shown what they're made of. Even if HR works this one out for you you might want to keep an eye open for a better place to go because if they've done it once they're probably going to do it again down the road. Beautiful reality of being an "at will" employee. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I never understood why KC de-certified, you all should have demanded an incentive in your next contract, how the hell do they ask you to throw 156 CPMH? Our fastes guys don't throw that unless they have pallet drops, I could probably throw 70 CPMH in my area if I had the energy, I spend all day going back and forth across Broken Arrow, sitting at stop lights and traffic, and having customers hold me up for 30 min at a time, I just smile, say yes Chef, and get my hours.

What are you all going to do when they adopt DIP and then cut it again like they did to us? Then if your not as fast as you ought to be, you will make 900 bucks for your effort in that 5 day week because you worked to many hours and had to many problems on your routes.

I hope they leave you guys alone but I'm told DIP is a Houston thang not an OPCO thang!

I never understood it either. The 156 isn't per man hour thank goodness, they're tracking it by delivery hour so drive time doesn't count against you. Their definition of "delivery hour" is any time spent after logging in that data doesn't record the truck moving. 156 is pretty hard, even on days with pallet drops I have a hard time.
Rumor has it in Jan there are going to be "changes", can't get anyone up top to confirm or deny but everyone's worried that they'll do something with our pay. Fingers crossed...

I never understood it either. The 156 isn't per man hour thank goodness, they're tracking it by delivery hour so drive time doesn't count against you. Their definition of "delivery hour" is any time spent after logging in that data doesn't record the truck moving. 156 is pretty hard, even on days with pallet drops I have a hard time.
Rumor has it in Jan there are going to be "changes", can't get anyone up top to confirm or deny but everyone's worried that they'll do something with our pay. Fingers crossed...

I hope its not DIP, your not gonna like it, one of our guys is losing 6000 a year, and he is super fast! I make 8 or 900 a week on DIP but I do 1300 by the hour, it really sucks, on ABC I always made more than my hourly pay, but we were making to much for the company to keep paying I guess, now they get what they get, just like making guys wait 5 yrs to bank sick time, then they have the nerve to wonder why guys like me use their sick time so they don't flush it down the toilet, sometimes I just gotta sit back and laugh at what Sysco does, Ben E Kieth and US Foods are both making more than us now, we used to be on top.

By that logic, I could probably sit in over 100, my 58 is CPMH, they haven't complained yet, if they do I'll just remind them about what they agreed to.

They must figure out your cases per hr differently. I average 145 cases pretty much every week. Some weeks I'm over 150 and some weeks is less then 140. I hope we don't get this pay you guys have. Or sysco can kiss my ass. But we are already the lowest paid Foodservice company here so are pay can only go up. Rumor has it we are getting a big raise to keep the union out. And apparently sysco mn is going on strike because we aren't union

They must figure out your cases per hr differently. I average 145 cases pretty much every week. Some weeks I'm over 150 and some weeks is less then 140. I hope we don't get this pay you guys have. Or sysco can kiss my ass. But we are already the lowest paid Foodservice company here so are pay can only go up. Rumor has it we are getting a big raise to keep the union out. And apparently sysco mn is going on strike because we aren't union

Money, if your a closed shop state they can't keep the union out if Sysco is union, you will have an hourly wage in addidtion to the incentive so it will be up to you how you make your money, some union barns don't have incentive...yet...just hourly, as for the cases per hour, its simple, when we clock on it starts, when we clock off it ends, they take the cases for the day and divide that by the hours we work, if your throwing that many on average your probably calculated like Lazlo is in KC not CPMH but cases per stop time, I don't know anyone in the game that can throw 140 steady on the CPMH system, with traffic, miles between stops and buried product its nearly impossible, we have one guy that does but he throws a thousand 3 days a week at one stop, 6 seperate stops, all comes off on pallets.

I really think you will be happy with Sysco, there are worse places to work my friend, you will have a different contract than we do, probably better bennies, closed shops usually do, the cameras, you will get used to those, I don't like them, but they really ain't that bad, I gotta tell you, with all Sysco's problems, and all companies have them they are still miles ahead of Fedex in the people market, or the way they treat people.

Just go in with an open mind, Sysco is really safety minded, all the policies regarding that are put in place for our safety, yea I know I sound like mgmt, but thats one area that I agree with Sysco on, like for instance we are required here to do a 90 second stretch before work, its for our benefit and I do it, it helps.

If you talk to everyone at my work they believe everything sysco is telling them. Sysco says no union. They believe them and alot of them don't want to be union. Alot of em said they will quit if we do become union. They said we're gonna be sysco Apperts so that's how there gonna keep the union out. Even are president said we're gonna be non union. I know me and you talked about it. I believe what you say because your union and you know more about it then me. I'm just saying what there all saying. Also since I found out I got carpal tunnel and they say it's from my job it has scared the crap outta me. If I keep doing this they say it could/will get worse so Idk what I'm gonna do. If I should stay in Foodservice or not. I know I can get a job close to home making what I'm making now and home everyday pulling flatbed. They do slow down in the winter tho. Idk what to do GT

Yes they will try to keep the union out, but they will fail if your state didn't pass RTW yet, it will be a process, Sysco will back down when the workers and the union start making a stink, it happens this way all the time, even if you were a RTW state you would still be covered by a contract if Sysco MN is, the only difference is guys could choose whether or not to join and pay dues, if your co-workers don't wanna join the union when it comes around being your in a closed shop, they will be shown the door, you will move up the ladder, seniority means alot at Sysco.

As for the carpal I wouldn't fret about it to much, I got it pretty bad and I'm still going, I wake up all night because my hands go to sleep, for me its a fact of life and like back pain and foot pain, and I'm a pain in the ass, I just live with it..LOL! If I ever go back to shuttle to stay, I will probably get it worked on, till then its as normal as the nose on my face, just another annoyance.

I think you should stay put and ride this deal out, see what happens, if they keep your warehouse, and it sounds like they are, there will be shuttle opportunities, and I know you would be interested in that, the shuttle jobs out of a warehouse are sweet!

isn't there any dove-tailing clause in the minnesota contract? you would think there would be. im sure these guys are all over it.

dove tailing

dove tailing is a clause in a contract where as if there is a buy out of a company, the rank and file of the company of the purchasing company remain in tact. for example if there was a 20 year driver with apperts. he could not go to sysco and bump anybody with less time. dove tailing protects the sysco guys in this example. i would be very surprised if sysco mn didn't have this.

i think your president is giving you guys a load of bs. in buy-outs, only a small % of guys keep their jobs. sysco wants the overall sales and cutomers.. thats all. i hope im wrong, but the same thing just happened in ohio with sysco and an independent. only one driver kept his job from the independent.