XPO | Pay increase??

nightryder

TB Lurker
Credits
I know it's a little early to discus it, but, let the debate begin for the fun of it.. Yes, No, Maybe and for the gas on the fire, if so how much? Ready set go!!!!

Anything less than 10% is a joke.
Be prepared for a joke. As far as hourly wages go , I can't imagine the folks running XPO would do a $3 an hour increase for any reason.

Have any of the main competitors to XPO given out a 10% raise or close to that?

Be prepared for a joke. As far as hourly wages go , I can't imagine the folks running XPO would do a $3 an hour increase for any reason.

Have any of the main competitors to XPO given out a 10% raise or close to that?
The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

I am ready for it to be a joke but that doesn’t mean I won’t accept it and keep doing my job.

ANY/EVERY LtL driver should be paid at least $40hr for city work,with OT after 8.
Other, far less needed jobs have badly outpaced CDL jobs, which are physically much more demanding, far more important, stressful, and almost certainly lead to numerous health issues.
On top of that, people aren't flocking to driving jobs as careers. This recent slowdown, with many companies laying off will not help that situation. Class A + Haz + Tanker + the required duties is a $100k + job. Anything less is insulting.

ANY/EVERY LtL driver should be paid at least $40hr for city work,with OT after 8.
Other, far less needed jobs have badly outpaced CDL jobs, which are physically much more demanding, far more important, stressful, and almost certainly lead to numerous health issues.
On top of that, people aren't flocking to driving jobs as careers. This recent slowdown, with many companies laying off will not help that situation. Class A + Haz + Tanker + the required duties is a $100k + job. Anything less is insulting.
110%

Companies are looking to keep wages, suppressed by looking for a lesser quality individual and training their own. They have given up on attracting qualified and experienced drivers because that would mean that they would have to get to that $40 mark.

As long as this trend continues, there will be a constant cycle of new hires coming and going. One only has to look to the example of the over the road companies to see how this works. It has been that way for them for the last 30 years and has not improved at all, it is a form of wage suppression.

Last edited:
I’d expect the same 3% or so as usual
1.5 to 2.1 %
You really think so? With inflation being what it is, or even what they'll stipulate to, I would expect bigger than the usual bump. I'm sure they would love to keep it as small as possible, just don't see how they could justify it.
110%

Companies are looking to keep wages, suppressed by looking for a lesser quality individual and training their own. They have given up on attracting qualified and experienced drivers because that would mean that they would have to get to that $40 mark.

As long as this trend continues, there will be a constant cycle of new hires coming and going. One only has to look to the example of the over the road companies to see how this works. It has been that way for them for the last 30 years and has not improved at all, it is a form of wage suppression.
While this is true, we still have a hard time filling vacancies even with new, inexperienced drivers. We are hiring guys straight out of school, how much lower can "The Standard" possibly go? Something has got to give...

You really think so? With inflation being what it is, or even what they'll stipulate to, I would expect bigger than the usual bump. I'm sure they would love to keep it as small as possible, just don't see how they could justify it.
While this is true, we still have a hard time filling vacancies even with new, inexperienced drivers. We are hiring guys straight out of school, how much lower can "The Standard" possibly go? Something has got to give...
Lower freight levels , some locations with lay offs … I think they have justification for an average pay raise which would fall into my prediction.
They truly believe there’s some guys layed off from other carriers that might consider hiring on . Also they are putting the bulk of their hopes on hiring mainly through the schools.
We had a VP at our location last week who expressed his wishes that 18 yr olds would be allowed to drive soon . Also stated that money was not the issue and the pay as it is now is sufficient to attract new drivers .
Base on my take of what he said I don’t think anyone should put much hope in a killer raise .

I know it's a little early to discus it, but, let the debate begin for the fun of it.. Yes, No, Maybe and for the gas on the fire, if so how much? Ready set go!!!!
Pay raise, higher 401K match, and lower healthcare cost. That's what needs to happen. Stop just the screaming for a pay raise. Look at the whole package.
So how about a 2% pay raise, 2% higher 401K match and lower healthcare cost by 1%

The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

I am ready for it to be a joke but that doesn’t mean I won’t accept it and keep doing my job.
OK we will give you a 10% raise, but we will then raise you healthcare premium 8.5%

Hey can't bitch you got you 10%

Companies are looking to keep wages, suppressed by looking for a lesser quality individual and training their own.
in fact the up front cost of hiring a trainee now cost you more then just hiring a veteran driver. Company are now paying you hourly for school and on the road training is paid at an hourly rate plus OT after 8. So hiring a veteran driver will cost less.
The reason companies want trainees is so they can get them to think the way they want them to.

I see a smaller bump then usual. Just look at what happening at the FAC, or atleast the ones I go to. 2-3yrs ago you could have held a gun to there head and they still would not have given you loads. Now they are throwing drivers out. Saying don't even punch in here are you loads to go home. For me that fine nice 9-10hr nights on average. At on FAC they have 15-20 guys sign up for 3 open Sat runs, 2 years ago they were forcing guys to cover 10 runs.
Hang on it going to get rough

Also stated that money was not the issue and the pay as it is now is sufficient to attract new drivers .
OK were can a 21yr old with a high Ed, no job skill go and in just over 2 yrs make $32-$36 per hour? Or over $100K on LH.
That;s why it is sufficient
Years ago they would even look at you if you did have 2+yrs of driving exp

You do know there is a different between a Professional Driver and a steering wheel holder? We hire very few Professional driver but many we hire a sh1t load of steering wheel holders.
We have hired several “experienced” drivers in the last six months. Steering wheel holders none the less. Accidents. Breakdowns, leaving flat tires (off the rim flat), hanging mud flaps, wrong placards. I’m far from perfect, but what we are getting is pathetic. And we were one of the barns offering top rate $35.89 with a years experience.

We have hired several “experienced” drivers in the last six months. Steering wheel holders none the less. Accidents. Breakdowns, leaving flat tires (off the rim flat), hanging mud flaps, wrong placards. I’m far from perfect, but what we are getting is pathetic. And we were one of the barns offering top rate $35.89 with a years experience.
I sure we are not the only company getting these types of drivers. I have to say hearing them cry the blues in the SCM office when they get that overweight or DOT fine and being told it's all your responsible.

Well some drivers need to get a pay decrease