XPO | Pay increase??

Pay raise, higher 401K match, and lower healthcare cost. That's what needs to happen. Stop just the screaming for a pay raise. Look at the whole package.
So how about a 2% pay raise, 2% higher 401K match and lower healthcare cost by 1%
OMG ! There’s hope for you yet . I’m getting choked up.

Last edited:
in fact the up front cost of hiring a trainee now cost you more then just hiring a veteran driver. Company are now paying you hourly for school and on the road training is paid at an hourly rate plus OT after 8. So hiring a veteran driver will cost less.
The reason companies want trainees is so they can get them to think the way they want them to.
I found out that the government subsidies the in house school of truck drivers. I don’t know if your company is like that, but at my company I was told that.

I found out that the government subsidies the in house school of truck drivers. I don’t know if your company is like that, but at my company I was told that.
That would explain the enthusiasm towards training people off the street compared to the attitudes that were there years ago: Most LTLs we're considered the top jobs in trucking and were hard to get on with requiring YEARS of experience.

Maybe to some degree but I think it’s more based on the lack of qualified candidates more than anything . Anyone with experience is either employed or knows better. It’s easier to attract people who have no experience in trucking at all so they don’t know what their getting into.

Last edited:
Maybe to some degree but I think it’s more based on the lack of qualified candidates more than anything . Anyone with experience is either employed or knows better. It’s easier to attract people who have no experience in trucking at all so they don’t know what their getting into.
We all have family , friends and loved ones - would you recommend that they go into trucking? Here!?!?

We all have family , friends and loved ones - would you recommend that they go into trucking? Here!?!?
Not these days . Too many other ways to earn a living that allow you to spend more time with your loved ones. Money here is only “ok” if you work mega hours . This industry has not kept up with the times . It’s a dinosaur that eats it own.

Most prospective workers feel the same . The numbers Or lack of applicants bares that out .

Last edited:
It’s a dinosaur that eats it own.
Well lets take a look at the dinosaur:
So in May 1983 Con-Way, non-union, was founded by it parent company CF a union company
In July 1983 Con-Way bought a UNION carrier here in the NE called Penn-Yan Express. In early 1984 the name was changed to PYX. The in 1985 it was changed to CEX. Due to a selective on week strike by the teamster in 1990 CEX ceased operation.
Now that's funny Con-Way now XPO was at on time a union trucking company in the NE.....
In 1992 the area once covered by the union carrier was absorbed by CCX.
Since 1992 Con-way let it employee's play union by give them almost everything a union company has. Leaving out the one main part, a signed contract. Then in April 1994 Con-Way got real nervous the teamster went out on strike. With the union members standing outside our gates call all our employees SCABS. I'm sure the company feared they would be joining them, but we (company) were smart enough to let them believe they didn't need a contract or the union. We let then keep playing union knowing it would benefit us in the end.
After the strike ended we worked them harder and harder slowly sucking up market share. Driving more and more union carriers to close. With more companies closing and more drivers looking for work we found it even easier to keep wages and raises low. Then the companies dreams came true we finally did it we help close down the company the help build us. In 2002 CF closed flooding even more driver into the market.

It’s a dinosaur that eats it own.

part #2

We (the company) didn't stop there. We bought the cheapest and junkiest equipment we could get our hands on. We even gave them only 7 speed trans with no engine brakes. As told to me by a former CCX employee, "CCX driver weren't smart enough to know how to use engine brakes". For years we made sure the trucks had no A/C, radios and the cheapest seats money could buy even though other LTLs were upgrading there fleets with A/C, radios and seats. We did though splurge on a nice fan that sat on the dash but made sure the A/C in the office worked at max. Then sometime in mid 2000s A/C came standard in the trucks, though we never let them put a truck O/S for a non working A/C system. With all that money we saved on equipment we though it would be best spent it on a NASCAR race truck and the Con-Way 200 race in 2006. Then it hit 2008/09 the economy crashed and the bills were piling up and freight was down. We had to buy more exp trucks that had radios, engine brakes, and creature comforts for the drivers. We need to cut costed so we did. We layoff employees, took away there pension, company paid healthcare, and decreased they hourly rate. Told you not having union and contract would benefit us someday. We saved so much we even sponsor the #16 NASCAR in 2009. We did offer a 401K plan in place of the pension though we did hold the company portion for 3 month before giving it to the employee. Thank for letting us earn interest on money we own you. With cost going up and being in NASCAR sooooo expensive we looked at other ways to cut cost. We decreased the bonus program and sent our old trucks out to refab. Cheaper then buying new.
Over the years we schmoozed then with cookouts, breakfast meetings, and other events, all a tax write-off of course. Making sure they didn't need a union or a contract. Even into 2014 we were still holding new hire meetings and making sure we showed then anti-union video.

So the dinosaur you talking about are the ones that been here prior to 2008.
chomp chomp.

I would not recommend any job or career to anyone. It's a choice they have to live with. I will tell them the Pros and cons of trucking and that's it. The biggest thing I tell them is
"Those that love what they do never work a day in there life"

part #2

We (the company) didn't stop there. We bought the cheapest and junkiest equipment we could get our hands on. We even gave them only 7 speed trans with no engine brakes. As told to me by a former CCX employee, "CCX driver weren't smart enough to know how to use engine brakes". For years we made sure the trucks had no A/C, radios and the cheapest seats money could buy even though other LTLs were upgrading there fleets with A/C, radios and seats. We did though splurge on a nice fan that sat on the dash but made sure the A/C in the office worked at max. Then sometime in mid 2000s A/C came standard in the trucks, though we never let them put a truck O/S for a non working A/C system. With all that money we saved on equipment we though it would be best spent it on a NASCAR race truck and the Con-Way 200 race in 2006. Then it hit 2008/09 the economy crashed and the bills were piling up and freight was down. We had to buy more exp trucks that had radios, engine brakes, and creature comforts for the drivers. We need to cut costed so we did. We layoff employees, took away there pension, company paid healthcare, and decreased they hourly rate. Told you not having union and contract would benefit us someday. We saved so much we even sponsor the #16 NASCAR in 2009. We did offer a 401K plan in place of the pension though we did hold the company portion for 3 month before giving it to the employee. Thank for letting us earn interest on money we own you. With cost going up and being in NASCAR sooooo expensive we looked at other ways to cut cost. We decreased the bonus program and sent our old trucks out to refab. Cheaper then buying new.
Over the years we schmoozed then with cookouts, breakfast meetings, and other events, all a tax write-off of course. Making sure they didn't need a union or a contract. Even into 2014 we were still holding new hire meetings and making sure we showed then anti-union video.

So the dinosaur you talking about are the ones that been here prior to 2008.
chomp chomp.
You are not, by any chance related to 1984SW’s are you?
:poke::poke::lmao::lmao::lmao: