R&L | Pay raise?

So far, ours isn't but Ive got it on pretty good authority that Wilmington is looking to push it everywhere. A friend in SC said that they switched all swaps to paysheet. They lost several senior drivers over it.

The flat rate/pay sheet is supposed to be for long distance line runs, if they want to pay a flat rate for short distance swaps, having to put up with city streets, traffic, and dealing with a mountain of paperwork, that’s effed up. All LTLs are having a hard enough time finding qualified drivers, this is a great way for R+L to shoot themselves in the foot. Luckily because of California laws they switched Line Haul to hourly out here a few years ago, so they can’t pull that stunt here.

We had one of our terminal uppity upps say the figure was out amongst management and he couldn't tell us what it was but said "you guys will be very happy".
Considering they last raise last year still had us below several carriers, I wont be surprised if its decent. That said, with the cameras coming, if they don't want to lose guys to Saia, they wont have much choice up here in Connecticut. Saia is at 30 an hour already and we aren't. They also have all new equipment so R+L needs to consider these things.

Agreed. Heck, we have the swap trailer issue now that some are dealing with. Go and swap city freight at customers, some with double drop and hook and still doing all the paperwork yet they want to pay it as a linehaul with :::shit::: pay. We haven't gotten there yet. ours are short and on the clock but Im a city driver, have been for 15 years now. Don't go trying to pay me LH pay for doing city work. That's not gonna fly.
They have not tried it at are barn yet. But heard they did it at one. And have gone back to hourly for swap trailers. Half of our drivers do one every night.

They have not tried it at are barn yet. But heard they did it at one. And have gone back to hourly for swap trailers. Half of our drivers do one every night.
We do quite a few also. They're having a tough time keeping younger guys as it is and the paysheet issue for swaps is not helping. The bottom 10% of our board pretty much does nothing but swaps

is that cameras facing out only? Or new ones with that fish eye lens watching driver?
All our newer Petes have a system called Bendix Wingman. It has some kind of camera in it, as it reads speed limit signs. Don't know if it records anything else. There is currently no discipline regimen associated with the system. They announced a few weeks ago they are going to install LYTEK cameras in ALL units and that system has the ability to record forward facing, driver facing, and in cab sound. They say they are only going to activate forward facing. The driver facing is a double edged sword is what I'm told they're thinking is and will not be activated, nor will sound recording be on. They have not talked about discipline regimen. We are only prohibited from hand held phone use IAW federal regulation about commercial driver use of cell phone.

They are also updating all terminals with tons of cameras accessible to managers at home as well as what they call the War Room security center at the Emerald Palace. (Wilmington )

All our newer Petes have a system called Bendix Wingman. It has some kind of camera in it, as it reads speed limit signs. Don't know if it records anything else. There is currently no discipline regimen associated with the system. They announced a few weeks ago they are going to install LYTEK cameras in ALL units and that system has the ability to record forward facing, driver facing, and in cab sound. They say they are only going to activate forward facing. The driver facing is a double edged sword is what I'm told they're thinking is and will not be activated, nor will sound recording be on. They have not talked about discipline regimen. We are only prohibited from hand held phone use IAW federal regulation about commercial driver use of cell phone.

They are also updating all terminals with tons of cameras accessible to managers at home as well as what they call the War Room security center at the Emerald Palace. (Wilmington )
Driver facing cams are a liability in court I’ve been told

Driver facing cams are a liability in court I’ve been told
Precisely. Roberts Sr. supposedly said he didn't want to hand anybody evidence to convict his employee if there is an accident and the driver was doing something inappropriate . Some big mega carriers like Werner supposedly shut off their driver facing cams for same reason .

camera so far faces out only. I had a recorded message happen one time on a brake check. I asked about it. They said it faces out only

camera so far faces out only. I had a recorded message happen one time on a brake check. I asked about it. They said it faces out only
Copy that. Begs the question why put lytex cameras in a Pete with Bendix Wingman already installed? Waste of money it would seem to me. But there are three ways to do things.
The right way
The wrong way
The R&L way!

I cant wait for all the calls for all the errors the Bendex Wingman system creates. I've literally had 3 emergency brake applications with my truck when nothing was in front of me. Constantly telling me I'm over lines that don't exist.

I was hoping for a substantial pay raise this go around but I heard through the grapevine that us drivers will be disappointed . Sounds like it's gonna be the typical .60 to .70 cents

Heck I'd be happy if they would pay the health care premiums.
I would happily take a $3/hr pay cut if they eliminated weekly employee contributions to health care and removed the deductible and coinsurance. Just a flat $10 copay for everything like ABF and YRC have. Man that’d be sweet.