R&L | Pay raise?

Workers Compensation is not

Companies are not required to carry workers comp. Trust me.
Yes they are, from what you say R&L appears to be self insured.
Edit
According to what I just googled workers comp in Texas is optional, however the employer must have liability insurance and a policy to cover employees in other states.

Last edited:
It would be Interesting to hear from the R+L moderator. He's been with the company for years and works in a different part of the country. He would be able to clarify if his location has workers comp or not. Here in the Red State of Texas it's not required as Texas is pro business and does not protect the employees.
Im in Connecticut and yes, this state has workers comp.

Yes they are, from what you say R&L appears to be self insured.
Edit
According to what I just googled workers comp in Texas is optional, however the employer must have liability insurance and a policy to cover employees in other states.
Apparently so. After that driver got crushed by the forklift they forced all employees in Dallas to sign a waiver stating we would accept this new injury recovery policy. R+L showed us their feelings on employees getting injured and their protection level. If you work for R+L in Texas don't get hurt. Probably a partial reason the company can't find drivers in many locations.

Apparently so. After that driver got crushed by the forklift they forced all employees in Dallas to sign a waiver stating we would accept this new injury recovery policy. R+L showed us their feelings on employees getting injured and their protection level. If you work for R+L in Texas don't get hurt. Probably a partial reason the company can't find drivers in many locations.
Word does get around. It’s why we have to promote dock to driver. Experienced ltl drivers don’t come here.

Word does get around. It’s why we have to promote dock to driver. Experienced ltl drivers don’t come here.
The pallet jack issue sticks in a lotta peoples craws.

That said, I’d rather be here then Fedwrex, XPO, and the detestable Saia. I like the idea of nobody bumpin me off my bid run, pullin the same wagon every day, and an assigned truck I run every day and can do extra linehauls with.

I'm really surprised the area you're in isn't higher than we are. I always thought cost of living was higher down in your stomping ground . I'm really not close to a truly large city around here. Chicagoland is about it.
The cost of living is low in Dallas which is where my “BOY” lives. Gas is around $2.50 a gallon compared to California which is in the $4.00 range... Housing is dirt cheap compared to California and the N.E. too. Everything is bigger in Texas except the cost of living. No state income tax either. It’s good to be a Texan. Although my “BOY” is a transplant. He is not a true Texan but he got here as fast as he could.

Last edited:
The cost of living is low in Dallas which is where my “BOY” lives. Gas is around $2.50 a gallon compared to California which is in the $4.00 range... Housing is dirt cheap compared to California and the N.E. too. Everything is bigger in Texas except the cost of living. No state income tax either. It’s good to be a Texan. Although my “BOY” is a transplant. He is not a true Texan but he got here as fast as he could.
don't kid yourself my friend....you buy a house at lets say 200k....property tax is minimum 6000 yes 6000 a year....300k means 9000 per year just to own your own home..that's an extra 750 a month on top of your house payment..now lets add homeowners insurance....here in let's say tarrant county you are looking at let's say for that 200,000$ home minimum 2000 per year....yes that's right 2000 per year..some people pay much more...1% deductable for that home if lets say you have hail damage....now you want to add in your electric bill? hahahahahha....2 story home huh....400 to 500 a month and that's if you keep your home at 72 to 74 degrees...I met a woman at Trader Joe's from California and we got to talking about homes in Texas....she says listen....California gets you up front....Value of home only....property tax is 1% of value....she lives in Mansfield Texas at 4.3% value and her 250,000 home costs her over 9,000 a year in property tax.....Beer is more expensive here....Meat is more expensive...clothing....all I'm saying is your home might be cheaper but the rest of it.....ISN'T.....you can buy a mobile home and live 60 miles outside the city and yes costs go down..substantially..but that's not where I live....someday maybe....just my take on what's bigger in Texas..btw most homes are more expensive than 250,000..have a great weekend

don't kid yourself my friend....you buy a house at lets say 200k....property tax is minimum 6000 yes 6000 a year....300k means 9000 per year just to own your own home..that's an extra 750 a month on top of your house payment..now lets add homeowners insurance....here in let's say tarrant county you are looking at let's say for that 200,000$ home minimum 2000 per year....yes that's right 2000 per year..some people pay much more...1% deductable for that home if lets say you have hail damage....now you want to add in your electric bill? hahahahahha....2 story home huh....400 to 500 a month and that's if you keep your home at 72 to 74 degrees...I met a woman at Trader Joe's from California and we got to talking about homes in Texas....she says listen....California gets you up front....Value of home only....property tax is 1% of value....she lives in Mansfield Texas at 4.3% value and her 250,000 home costs her over 9,000 a year in property tax.....Beer is more expensive here....Meat is more expensive...clothing....all I'm saying is your home might be cheaper but the rest of it.....ISN'T.....you can buy a mobile home and live 60 miles outside the city and yes costs go down..substantially..but that's not where I live....someday maybe....just my take on what's bigger in Texas..btw most homes are more expensive than 250,000..have a great weekend
I’m not buying it Mr. Nobody...... You can’t tell me the cost of living is cheaper in California. I might buy the property tax percentage but a 200K home in Texas would be 700K in California with the same square footage so that tax percentage doesn’t mean that much. And I won’t even get into who your neighbors might be and the part of town you’re in. And who exactly are you talking about? Most of my friends homes are paid for so much of what you’re babbling about is irrelevant. Don’t even try to compare California with Texas. That’s the most ridiculous comment I’ve heard from you in at least a couple of days. :6781: Having a bad day?

Last edited:

hsaxebt.jpg

I will give you the beer comment, however it would be hard pressed to beat my cost at Costco at anywhere in the U.S. >>>>> And I’m not bitching over a couple of bucks anyway. And clothing and meat would be offset by the crazy cost of gasoline. Really? What’s wrong with you? Don’t even try and rag on Texas! We’ve been too good to you.

Last edited:
I will give you the beer comment, however it would be hard pressed to beat my cost at Costco at anywhere in the U.S. >>>>> And I’m not bitching over a couple of bucks anyway. And clothing and meat would be offset by the crazy cost of gasoline. Really? What’s wrong with you? Don’t even try and rag on Texas! We’ve been too good to you.
Listen bud....I responded to the post about housing and only informed about facts....you're from Texas. I'm not going to hold that against you. Ok. You ok? Go for a walk. You're board. Get a dog. They're good for the soul. I'm not going to bash you. No need.

Last edited:
Oh this was you....I thought it was Decker. My bad.