FedEx Freight | Personal Phone

going coastal

TB Lurker
Credits
Any other city drivers experiencing the uptick in the company depending on you to use your personal phone for company business. Example: OS&D, call 30 minutes before delivery, and call office your hand held not working.

New handheld will eventually be used for all of that. Functionality just hasn't been turned on yet.
Maps as well.

Drivers will also do their own OS&D exceptions.

New handheld will eventually be used for all of that. Functionality just hasn't been turned on yet.
Maps as well.

Drivers will also do their own OS&D exceptions.
Just seeing a lot of charges on my DR’s from company charging the customer for notification before delivery and I’m the one calling looks like a way for the drivers to earn extra money if we charge the company for using our phones.

Send a message on your handheld asking them to call and notify customer for you.
I’ve tried I never get a response from dispatch. Last time sent a message showed up at the customers house waited for about 45 minutes sent a message again no response went to the next stop found a phone to call in the return center manager very upset tried to give a corrective action spill it was a mess with HR.

I’ve tried I never get a response from dispatch. Last time sent a message showed up at the customers house waited for about 45 minutes sent a message again no response went to the next stop found a phone to call in the return center manager very upset tried to give a corrective action spill it was a mess with HR.
Going 100% handheld today OS&D and all will update how things went and how much time was wasted.

Only way we fix the phone problem is if we all say we aren't using our personal phones without compensation

Only way we fix the phone problem is if we all say we aren't using our personal phones without compensation
Absolutely agree. The response I’ve received from management is don’t you receive a corporate discount the answer is always nope my wife’s company gives a bigger discount so we are on her company plan. Kinda funny now that they want my wife to use her company insurance.

Absolutely agree. The response I’ve received from management is don’t you receive a corporate discount the answer is always nope my wife’s company gives a bigger discount so we are on her company plan. Kinda funny now that they want my wife to use her company insurance.

I hate to be the one getting this back on topic, but here we go...

H/R Should clear this up. FedEx Freight uses messaging as the communication method of choice (at this time). The fact that dispatch doesn't keep up with these messages in a timely manner (their job), is NOT your fault. Proper leadership can teach them the importance of timely communication. Again, it is part of their job.

You never have to bring your phone, turn it on, or feel obligated to use it. THE DISCOUNT from a phone service carrier is provided by that Company, NOT FedEx.

There are very good reasons for NOT using your phone to notify customers, especially residential. Call backs from suspicious spouses, general complaints, etc. are real, and eliminated (for you) by the call coming from FedEx.

You can use a phone at a customer, but that seems like a lot to ask, unless for an OS&D issue. Pay phones are a rare thing.

The above comes from experience, not theory. The Hotline (fedex alert line) can insure that you get a true and proper response from H/R, as well as followup for all parties. Documented.

Keep us posted.

H/R Should clear this up. FedEx Freight uses messaging as the communication method of choice (at this time). The fact that dispatch doesn't keep up with these messages in a timely manner (their job), is NOT your fault. Proper leadership can teach them the importance of timely communication. Again, it is part of their job.

You never have to bring your phone, turn it on, or feel obligated to use it. THE DISCOUNT from a phone service carrier is provided by that Company, NOT FedEx.

There are very good reasons for NOT using your phone to notify customers, especially residential. Call backs from suspicious spouses, general complaints, etc. are real, and eliminated (for you) by the call coming from FedEx.

You can use a phone at a customer, but that seems like a lot to ask, unless for an OS&D issue. Pay phones are a rare thing.

The above comes from experience, not theory. The Hotline (fedex alert line) can insure that you get a true and proper response from H/R, as well as followup for all parties. Documented.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the commonsense feedback I will spread the logic around with other drivers. Sent a OS&D report over the handheld messaging today it can be done time consuming but possible.

Keep us posted.
Yes, rare now but back in our day pay phones were on every street corner and using a customer’s phone was pretty common

Just seeing a lot of charges on my DR’s from company charging the customer for notification before delivery and I’m the one calling looks like a way for the drivers to earn extra money if we charge the company for using our phones.
Aren’t the office people making calls, and appts ahead for Notify’s? You should not have to. Isn’t the day, and time for delivery on the DR?

Aren’t the office people making calls, and appts ahead for Notify’s? You should not have to. Isn’t the day, and time for delivery on the DR?
On just about every residential delivery our morning guy calls customer (notify charge Cha Ching) and in the conversation you can hear the customer what time will your driver deliver. Morning guy - can’t pin point a time but I will have the driver call you 30 minutes in advance. So when we get our DR’S in the notes it will say driver must call with a 30 minute notice. So when the driver doesn’t call the CCM will ask why you didn’t call.