Holland | Peterbilt question

the5tolls

Wait till 2024....we'll show em!
Credits
I have been told by two veteran drivers that if you reverse the mud flaps on the Peterbilts and put the left one backwards on the right side and the right one on the left side you gain about five inches of clearance and can pull pups with the 5th wheel all the way back and not tear anything up. You folks have any knowledge on this?

If the vets were old enough and driven long enough they will know from the green gospel DOT rules book in their pocket that you dont need flaps at all on the tractor when hooked to a trailer. Whatever it might be.

I have been told by two veteran drivers that if you reverse the mud flaps on the Peterbilts and put the left one backwards on the right side and the right one on the left side you gain about five inches of clearance and can pull pups with the 5th wheel all the way back and not tear anything up. You folks have any knowledge on this?
I pull pups with my mudflaps reversed. You will have to have the shop move the reflectors to the other side.

If the vets were old enough and driven long enough they will know from the green gospel DOT rules book in their pocket that you dont need flaps at all on the tractor when hooked to a trailer. Whatever it might be.

There are no Federal regulations regarding mud flaps. Various state regulations govern.

"The idea of designing your own custom truck mud flaps can be appealing, but did you know that each state has different laws regarding mud flaps? This is true, and many truck drivers are shocked to find the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA does not regulate mud flaps. Some states have stricter laws than others, and before you attempt to design your own mud flaps, you should become familiar with your own state’s laws."

While the DOT doesn't regulate mudflaps, YELLOW does. reversing them will be dealt with accordingly. Written verbal, written written, layoff, termination.

When pulling pups with a tandem some YRC drivers will take them off and use a couple of tarp straps to secure them to the cat walk behind the cab
I can appreciate that, at our barn they throw them in the parts and tire trailer by the fuel shack and then put them back on next day. I am looking for a solution so drivers and yard guys do not have to be messing around with them all the time, trying to save time and effort. With winter right around the corner the last thing I want to be messing with is mud flaps all caked in ice and snow and salt.

While the DOT doesn't regulate mudflaps, YELLOW does. reversing them will be dealt with accordingly. Written verbal, written written, layoff, termination.
I talked to TM this morning and he said he will have the vendor reverse them on the 4 tractors that go to Chicago Heights every night and see how it works. I will let you guys know how it works.

When pulling pups with a tandem some YRC drivers will take them off and use a couple of tarp straps to secure them to the cat walk behind the cab
I must be missing something here but I never touched the flaps when pulling pups with a screw, just slid the fifth wheel all the way back.