PFG Austell, GA

Chicken_Man

TB Lurker
Credits
Interviewed there and pretty much have the job and can start next week if I want it. I'm currently working for a chicken company doing local routes and one overnight route. I like my current job but would like to make better money, I average around 750-800 gross per week and that is a 4 day schedule. At times it gets knocked down to 3 days, paid hourly and the benefits aren't that great.

Now I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to leave for PFG. I was told that this is a customized division and that I would be working 3rd shift and also running teams, not too crazy about that. They only service Wendy's right now I believe but I also heard they will be adding around 500 Zaxby's. From what I got in the interview, it seems like I will be leaving on Sunday afternoons and will return Monday afternoon, only to be turned right back around maybe 3-4 hours later and leave again and return Tuesday afternoon to the same thing, minimum of 4 dispatches and gauranteed $875 per week at the very least. The guy told me even if I only make $500 on 4 dispatches they will still pay me $875. I would really like to know if there is anyone here that has worked at Austell before. I'm not really crazy about pretty much being gone Sunday afternoon through Thursday or possibly Friday with 5 dispatches. Got a lot to think about, but luckily I'm not scheduled to road test until next week on my next available off day, so I have a little time to think it over. Thanks in advance for your help!

IDK about customized, I did broadline, when I worked for PFS, (PFG), they were the best bennies in the industry far as I was concerned, I didn't earn what I do at Sysco, but my bennies suck at Sysco, factor that in and I prob made more at PFG, I loved working there, I moved out of AR, I would go back in a heartbeat, its a wonderful company, I have nothing what so ever bad to say about my experience.

Welcome to TruckingBoards, keep us updated, we are a family here in the food section, we will encourage and help anyhow we can Brother!!

GT

Thanks for the response and welcome GT! I've read just about all of your posts about PFG, a lot of helpful info. I just wish there was another PFG location that didn't just do the chain stores close to me. I'm not crazy about the home time (or lack there of) and I also don't think the money is as good with the customized. I've talked to 3 drivers from the Oakwood PFS plant and they all say they average around 70k per year. I wouldn't mind being gone 3 or 4 nights a week for that but from what I've gathered so far I'm going to be gone 3 or 4 nights per week for around 45k maybe 50 if I'm lucky. Thanks but no thanks...Leaning toward staying where I'm at for now and hoping more of our drivers leave so I can get more hours :( This plant just switched over from Roma to PFG, and maybe things will change eventually and something better will come available, I dunno. The people in the office were very friendly and helpful though, if I do decide not to take the job I plan to contact the guy that interviewed me and explain to him why I am declining and also ask him to keep me in mind if something comes available that will get me home daily, which will be pretty unlikely though I'm sure.

I did Wendy's before. That is how I got into foodservice. It was with a local company that has all the Wendy's in my tri-state area. Same set up, team runs but me and my co-driver only did three dispatches a week. All night delivers, key drops, truck are basically a rolling warehouse. It's not that bad if you don't mind running teams.

Thanks for the response and welcome GT! I've read just about all of your posts about PFG, a lot of helpful info. I just wish there was another PFG location that didn't just do the chain stores close to me. I'm not crazy about the home time (or lack there of) and I also don't think the money is as good with the customized. I've talked to 3 drivers from the Oakwood PFS plant and they all say they average around 70k per year. I wouldn't mind being gone 3 or 4 nights a week for that but from what I've gathered so far I'm going to be gone 3 or 4 nights per week for around 45k maybe 50 if I'm lucky. Thanks but no thanks...Leaning toward staying where I'm at for now and hoping more of our drivers leave so I can get more hours :( This plant just switched over from Roma to PFG, and maybe things will change eventually and something better will come available, I dunno. The people in the office were very friendly and helpful though, if I do decide not to take the job I plan to contact the guy that interviewed me and explain to him why I am declining and also ask him to keep me in mind if something comes available that will get me home daily, which will be pretty unlikely though I'm sure.

Don't be a stranger, lot of good guys here, I have made lifelong friends on these boards, its a pretty good place to be.

Thanks double r and GT, I called the guy that I interviewed with today and let him know that I wasn't going to accept the job. Like I said before, he was a cool guy, PFG seems like a really good place to work from what I saw and what I have read here, I'm just not crazy about being gone all week. I don't mind working nights but the idea of working all night then coming back to the warehouse just to get turned around 2-3 hours later is the same as OTR in my book. The good thing is I have a job, so I can be picky, but I will continue to look. I like the place I work but I can't survive only working 3 days per week. I applied online for an opening at Sysco in Atlanta today. Does anyone know who handles the hiring there? I would like to have a name so I can start hounding them for an interview... :)

I did Wendy's before. That is how I got into foodservice. It was with a local company that has all the Wendy's in my tri-state area. Same set up, team runs but me and my co-driver only did three dispatches a week. All night delivers, key drops, truck are basically a rolling warehouse. It's not that bad if you don't mind running teams.

Yeah I guess I'm just not that crazy about teams. Plus the pay for the amount of time away from home did not seem worth it to me. It was .20 cpm .09 cpc and $5 per stop. I love foodservice and really hope that I can find something and be able to stay in this line of work. I love the, like someone on these boards said in another thread, the satisfaction of seeing the trailer empty at the end of the day. I don't mind hard work at all, I actually enjoy it.